Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an Interarms WhitWorth in 300 WIN MAG. I want to make it into a tactical sniper rifle. I like it but I want to put a thicker barrel on it and a tactical stock, maybe a better bolt handle. Is this possible? I also wanna convert it to take box magazines. I don't know the first thing about bolt guns. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
29 Posts
With enough money you can do almost anything, but I would look at the economics of what you want to do to see if it makes sense. Estimated costs:
New (quality) Barrel minimum, they go up from there. $250.00
Custom fitting and chambering, minimum, goes up from here 150.00
Tactical stock, SWAG (if available for your action) 175.00
Possible bedding of action to stock 100.00
Modify action for box magazine (Serious machine work, SWAG) 250.00
Bolt Modification 100.00
Value of your current rifle ???.??
Total $1025.00

The above is a cost of $1025.00 without the value of your present rifle and I would question what the resale value of this rig would be if you decided to let it go.

To modify your action for a box magazine is more work then most people would think. First you need to find a magazine that will handle the 300 Win. Mag if you want to stay with the same caliber. Then you will need to machine out the feeding rails from your action, they are in the detachable magazine. Assuming conversion parts are not available from the custom market, the bottom metal is going to have to be machined to allow the detachable magazine to pass with appropriate tollerances and a latch system fabricated. With all of these modifications cartridges must feed properly or it is junk, no cake walk for a one off job. $250 is highly conservative here!

BTW, the above estimates are in my opinion very conservative and you could spend a lot more if you went with a "select" barrel from one of the top of the line manufacturers, etc.

While I am not a fan of the looks of Savage rifles you can buy one of their tactical models for half of the costs of the modifications above and have a darn accurate rig that you can sell for close to what you have in it if you ever want to sell it.

Just my $.02 worth!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man I never thought about that. This is something I would be doing over time. Not all at once. I understand what your saying though! Lol well the stock and barrel are things I definitely want to change, not the caliber. And I can live without a box magazine. Any suggestions on barrels and stocks?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Stock, McMillan. Nuff said. Expect them to take 3-6 months to deliver
Barrel, Shilen, Lilja, Kreager, Mike Rock, take you pick. Kreeger is running some 9 months behind on orders (what my smith prefers)
The gunsmith (not Joe the local gun plumber) is your most difficult item to find, the good ones are running 6-24 months once all the parts are in hand (and if they are not booked up solid, I wouldn't trust them to work on MY rifle).

Something I didn't see mentioned is glass/mounts.
Start with a set of quality bases $50 or a 20MOA rail $100
Rings, Burris with the inserts ($50) is a good place to start
Glass, figure 75-125% of the rifles value for good glass. The best Leupold offers is at the top of the "mid range" class, Nightforce is at the bottom of the "high end" class.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ok thanks guys. I guess I just look for barrels for my receiver?
You look for a barrel BLANK, in the caliber (bullet diameter), finished length and profile that you want.
The gunsmith cuts the threads (to exactly match the receiver) and chambers it himself.

See, on a quality/accuracy build, the gunsmith first makes sure the receiver is true, when he trues the receiver up, he will often (95/100 times) need to re-cut the threads to be square to the CL of the firing pin. He will than cut the threads on the barrel to be a perfect fit to what the receiver ends up being. Remember it's his reputation that's on the line.

There is more to it than simply bolting a bunch of parts together.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The reality is that you'll be far better served by selling your existing rifle and buying one of the law enforcement / tactical rifles made by Savage or Remington. It's not that you can't do it, it's just that it's not practical to do it.

A factory-built rifle will assuredly end up costing far less money than converting yours.
It will also be ready to go when you open the box, rather than proceeding in fits and starts and finally being finished a year or 3 from now.
It will most likely be more accurate than your converted hunting rifle. A Mauser-actioned rifle like yours is not an ideal base on which to build a precision rifle, mostly because it isn't very stiff. The Mauser was designed for reliability, not precision. The Savage or Remington actions are far better choices for what you want. There's a reason long-range shooters and snipers use those actions.

As far as cartridge goes, it is an uncommon shooter who can actually use the extra range a .300 Win Mag gives you over a .308 Win; more velocity won't turn a 250 - 300 yard rifleman into an 800 yard rifleman.

Ultimately however, it's your money. But you're trying to build an off-road racer out of a Cadillac Fleetwood.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Most POLICE sniper shots in an urban theater are made at UNDER 80 yards... Thats not saying what military shots are made at... likewise... shooting at ranges beyond 500 yards arent "JUST MADE" with a good rifle and the shot falls where you want it... theres a ****LOAD of calculation, and knowledge that is required to make that shot happen. Without proper training... you are just pissing in the wind and trying to "sound cool".... in which case... watch this video... because when I READ the OP... this was the FIRST THOUGHT that came to my mind... sorry...

Every question and answer on a gun forum - YouTube

Again... this may not be the case.... but the question makes me think thus.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thankful for the info guys! Indyarms. My father was a Force Recon Marine Sniper for 13 years so I know how to shoot distance shots. I can do pretty good, I'm better than the "average" shooter. And where I live there are no urban areas. I'm talking 900 yards isn't that hard to find. I certainly did not know that it is such a big job accurizing a Mauser action. I will take yalls advice and look for another rifle. Probably a Savage. Thanks guys! I am very very informed and got the answers I needed!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am thankful for the info guys! Indyarms. My father was a Force Recon Marine Sniper for 13 years so I know how to shoot distance shots. I can do pretty good, I'm better than the "average" shooter. And where I live there are no urban areas. I'm talking 900 yards isn't that hard to find. I certainly did not know that it is such a big job accurizing a Mauser action. I will take yalls advice and look for another rifle. Probably a Savage. Thanks guys! I am very very informed and got the answers I needed!
Probably the best bet! ( to look for one already set up for what you need )

And my apologies to the link... just with SO MANY "armchair commando's" on the net these days... when you see questions like that its hard not to have that be the first thing that pops into the mind...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No hard feelings man. I was very very entertained by that video lol. I am not an armchair commando lol. Checkout my facebook. Lukebilleaudeaux I'm for real. Lol but damn can I relate to that video. I have encountered more than my fairshare of armchair commando's lol and thanks for the info man. My dad has a Remington 700 in .308 just like he used in the Marine Corps except it's a civy version. I wanted mine to be like his. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts