Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little reluctant at first to buy it when my buddy explained over the phone what it was, he said it looked russian and the bullets are hollow point he also thought it may have been corrosive. I went over and looked at it and it was 200 rounds packed loose in a freezer bag with the headstamp reading 711 over 94. To my best of knowledge I know the 94 denotes the production year as 1994 I also know the 711 would be the plant but im unsure of which plant since I cant find anything on it other than it is russian. I fear the stuff may be corrosive since I have come across late 80's early 90's surplus russian 7.62x54 that was sold as corrosive. any help is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm hardly an authority, but I'd think even Soviet-bloc ammo manufactured in the 90's would be non-corrosive. At worst, give the firearm a cleaning after shooting or take a round apart and fire the primer against some bare steel or simply monitor the effects on the steel case interior. See if you get any strange corrosive effects. I saw an explanation of this somewhere before, but can't find it now.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
If you're shooting it thru anything other than a Yugo SKS or AK you probably don't have anything to worry about, anyway.

·
Banned
34,348 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hardly an authority, but I'd think even Soviet-bloc ammo manufactured in the 90's would be non-corrosive. At worst, give the firearm a cleaning after shooting or take a round apart and fire the primer against some bare steel or simply monitor the effects on the steel case interior. See if you get any strange corrosive effects. I saw an explanation of this somewhere before, but can't find it now.
most former soviet countries still produce their ammo with corrosive priming for their own use, the only ammo they produce as non corrosive is for the American market.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like these?

http://www.soldusa.com/detail.asp?id=11882

From what I know of it, Russian 7.62x39 ammo from '94 won't be corrosive.

7.62x54r is another matter.

Russian State Ammunition= Factory at Podolsk, Russia
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=31633

711 Russian State Ammunition Factory at Podolsk, Russia
http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
the 9 loose ones sound exactly like what I got here and seem to have the same headstamp. mine are all green laquered color.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Windex

Just squirt some windex down the barrell after shooting and dont worry about it. No windex available , well you could always pee down the barrell.I'm serious , talk to any ww2 vet.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow guys I found some dirt on these rounds lol read this article

http://movieswithguns.com/Articles.php?action=detail&g=content1203886143

Looks like the ammo I have is some of the 21 million rounds returned to eagle exim out of a total of 75 million rounds ceased. LMAO still doesnt tell me if the stuff is corrosive or not..... but apparently the the ammo was a commercial contract to eagle exim which would have me think its not corrosive?? but I'm not sure...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can't say with any degree of certainty, but I have some similarly packaged 20-round boxes of x39 Russian ammo, but mine is marked "CAL. 7,62X39 HP (NON-CORR)" The lower left marking in the bottom picture on your link is on my boxes. Mine also includes Lot. No 3 24 on the "MADE IN RUSSIA" side.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't say with any degree of certainty, but I have some similarly packaged 20-round boxes of x39 Russian ammo, but mine is marked "CAL. 7,62X39 HP (NON-CORR)" The lower left marking in the bottom picture on your link is on my boxes. Mine also includes Lot. No 3 24 on the "MADE IN RUSSIA" side.
what do your headstamps read?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ive always been of the mindset that if I don't know if its corrosive, I assume it IS corrosive and clean accordingly.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Eagle (federal) had a large contract to supply 7.62x39 ammo to Iraq for the use in Iraqi police AK's. A large portion of the lot was denied by inspectors for a variety of reasons. None of it was corrosive. I have no idea what the head stamps were, but I do know it basically looked like wolf ammo at a glance. I've seen it in person but didn't check the head stamp.

Some of it made it to the commercial market in the US. I think a large portion of it however was sold to alternate contracts outside the US market.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Upon doing some research in the past I found that if it has a gold primer it is non corrosive and silver primers are corrosive. I could probably find a link to this if you would like.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The thing I like about that corrosive kommie ammo is that it has never failed me in any SKS or AK I've used it in. Plenty of power for use in those platforms and all you need to do is get used to caring for the guns just like you do your teeth after a meal. Any ammonia-based cleaner works well for neutralizing the priming compound residue.

Even if you neglect the hardware a little, the designs are pretty forgiving. Most Kom-block conscripts wouldn't have been that worried about the tiny amount of rust that might form between cleanings.

Personally, I think the concern about corrosive priming (especially when fired in SKS's or AK's) is blown far out of proportion to the actual risk of damage. Just take care of your gear and it will be fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts