Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a gun auction Saturday. I waited five hours to bid on a Marlin Centennial 45/70 lever action. I finally gave up when the bidding passed $700. Then an M1A came up right after. I really don't know that much about the M1A, I usually shoot a Garand. I almost gave up at $600 but went to $610 and was the high bidder. After which I panicked and tried to get rid of it to the next lower bidder who passed on it. After I got home, settled down, and looked it over I found that it has a Krieger barrel, NM sights, bedded, bipod, scope mount. I checked at Fulton and it looks like it maybe close to their peerless M1A. Maybe for once I did the right thing?

Steve

No Longer Involved
'F___ing 'A you did right!

Fantastic! Bring it to a good armorer who understands M1A/M14 rifles for a complete tech inspection, and you are good to go!

Registered
Swede.....
Give ya $615 for it ! :D Sounds to me like you "stole" this one. Bill could'nt have said it any better. Best of luck with your newbie !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,
The old pocket book really took a hit but I am starting to feel better about it. And more importantly so is my wife.

$615? Well now Sixtgunr I'll have to think about that one now. ;)

One other question- After removing the trigger group I had to remove two allen head screws to remove the action from the stock. There are two brackets welded to the receiver they screw into. I take it this is not how a original M1A is set up. Is this part of a bedding system?

No Longer Involved
Originally posted by Swede

One other question- After removing the trigger group I had to remove two allen head screws to remove the action from the stock. There are two brackets welded to the receiver they screw into. I take it this is not how a original M1A is set up. Is this part of a bedding system?

Sounds like you just disassembled a bedded receiver.

The reason I said take it to an armorer for a complete technical inspection was so that you can ensure that the headspace is good, and then he can tell you more about this rifle and how it was put together, what parts are USGI and what aren't (if any), etc.

Registered
Swede.....
Bill could very well be right here. I myself am only experienced with the military styles and I don't recall seeing one breakdown with what you have explained. By the sounds of your original description you got a nice one set up for some serious shooting and it was more than likely bedded. If it's one of them kind, I would think it has the double-lug receiver as opposed to the single. Let us know and take Bills advise or get someone a tad more knowledgeable than I on this. $620.00? :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SixTgunr -

I was checking the exchange rate between Minnesota & Missouri and right now it's at 1.5%. So are you really offering $930? :D

Steve

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, if your interested I had the rifle checked out. The headspace etc is fine, so I took it to the range. My brother had some .308 168gr reloads that I used. It shot 4" - 5" groups. This was at 200 meters. I know it was the rifle, it can shoot better than I can. I usually have to use a scope to get this kind of accuracy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Sixtgunr.

I'm just glad for once in my life I did something that I didn't get screwed on. I was going to use my 96 Swede for antelope this year but I think I'm changing my mind.

I really like your picture :cool: your camo pattern is different. Are bayonets hard to get?

If you ever come up to MN let me know, we'll go put some holes in paper.

Registered
Thanks Swede.....
Do the camo work myself. As for the bayonets, they are plentiful here and there. I won mine on the auctions. Can't remember off hand what I gave for it but check ebay, auction arms and gunbrokers. Ya might get lucky ! You can also order them from various places in Shotgun News or can pick them up at gun shows. Have a great day and if I ever get up that way, will give ya a yell. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts