Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I ever had to replace a firing pin in one of mine, the factory would take one look at the barrels on those beauties and I'd be stuck!

Whats an AR pin cost...$15?

So I bought a Sig Sauer AR and I'm doing a few mods. in an attempt to hopefully aid with accuracy. :) haven't fired it yet.

The Leupold VX-III 1.75X6 will be mounted on my new Leupold flattop cantiliver scope base, just as soon as the mailman can cut through the snow and deliever it...(sigh)

Hey, I'm just glad to be back in the fold. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks woodstock, I think I'm going to like this one.

Six bucks for a firing pin! :D

And I wouldn't even have to send it back to the factory. :cool:

Those are both Mini-30's and I have a lot of Wolf steel cased stuff that works well enough so far, but it keeps me up at night wondering what could happen. :(

Oh well, new toys to play with and tweek! :D

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Six bucks for a firing pin!

And I wouldn't even have to send it back to the factory.
Exactly. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to replace a firing pin in an AR.
I use Wolfe ammo and have never had a single problem from it. Some do, some claim it is dirty but I haven't really noticed any appreciable difference except the brass isn't much good for reloading.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brass?

HA!

My friend tried steel cased ammo in his Olympic Arms AR, and a spent case got stuck in the chamber almost immediately.

Drove it out with a rod after the barrel had cooled somewhat, but he sold the rest of that stock and won't using that stuff again.

My fluted barrel is also an Olympic, and I'll never feed it anything but brass just to be on the safe side.

I had just got a good deal on 2000 7.62X39 rounds for the Mini's, but a possible broken firing pin would ruin my day with one of those rifles. :angry:

Pretty snazy .223 brass reloading setup eh. :cool:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Looks similar to mine. I am an RCBS fan myself. I also have a lee press that I just use for decapping. Maybe Olympic Arms runs tight chambers. That is the only reason I could see for steel cased ammo getting stuck in it. Is it a 5.56x45 chamber or .223?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's got the 5.56 chamber.

What ever the cause, I don't think He'll try that again. ;)

So my scope base arrived :D and I modified the free float tube with a stud boss for the sling swivel, but it will be a few days before the studs with the threads cut all the way to their heads show up.

The stud boss allows me to unscrew the float tube without it coming around and hitting the gas tube as I do.

Another nice thing about it is that I shortened the front sight post & bayonet lug enough to allow the float tube to slip by without having to remove the sight first.

Ya know...I shell out a grand for a rifle, almost as much for sighting equipment and other goodies, but I will invent something before I give somebody $12 for a sling swivel replacement stud on the stock... :rolleyes:

BIG FUN! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts