Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cajun, did the last hurricane give you any problems? I know you said you moved to dry ground in Texas. I hope all is well.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
No we dodged that bullet, but I don't feel so lucky with Ike. Here is the site I'm watchen with.
http://www.stormpulse.com/

When they framed my new house, they said the roof would withstand a tree falling on it, with only shingle damage. I have trees all around, I hope I won't find out if the roof will hold or not.

· Registered
2,906 Posts
Cajun, did you ever consider moving to Florida? It's a lot safer here.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Cajun, did you ever consider moving to Florida? It's a lot safer here.
If I remember correctly Flordia was hit 4 times a couple 3 years ago. I guess it's Texas turn to get hit. They are predicting 75 MPH winds, heavy rain, and some Tornados here in East Texas. I moved from Louisiana elevation 9 ft. Have been thru a couple hurricanes before. They have hurrican parties down there.

Home Land Security just issued this warning for Galveston TX: "If you don't evacuate, you face certain death!" Haroldo Rivera went down there and while reporting was knocked down by a huge wave. What an idiot!

To relate this to gun talk. Most of my guns are in gun cases in a concrete storage unit, with heavy steel rollup door with bolt cutter resistant lock. The floor is elevated and well drained. So they should be ok. We will see tomorrow.

· Registered
2,906 Posts
If I remember correctly Flordia was hit 4 times a couple 3 years ago. I guess it's Texas turn to get hit. They are predicting 75 MPH winds, heavy rain, and some Tornados here in East Texas. I moved from Louisiana elevation 9 ft. Have been thru a couple hurricanes before. They have hurrican parties down there.

Home Land Security just issued this warning for Galveston TX: "If you don't evacuate, you face certain death!" Haroldo Rivera went down there and while reporting was knocked down by a huge wave. What an idiot!

To relate this to gun talk. Most of my guns are in gun cases in a concrete storage unit, with heavy steel rollup door with bolt cutter resistant lock. The floor is elevated and well drained. So they should be ok. We will see tomorrow.
Yes, we still have some homes that haven't been repaired from our fun years.

It was funny seeing Rivera come out from under the water looking like a drowned cat - it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. On one of the afternoon radio talk shows today, one of the commentators remarked, "Is this the year that some media type is going to die in a hurricane? Each year some station personality goes a little further into harms way, trying to out do the reports on the last storm. So, is this the year?"

About half way through the hurricane season when the storms start to get serious, I pack up my long guns and ammunition and store them high and dry till the end of November.

Stay dry bud, let us know how you come through this one. I do look ugly!!

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Also on a gun-related note, let me pass on a tip from my cousin whose enviable collection survived Katrina . . . in St. Bernard Parish. Even within his safe, he had each weapon in plastic bags (I think Aloksak but don't remember) with dessicant packs in each bag. Despite total inundation for over a week, his collection survived unscathed.

Glad you guys got through Ike OK.

· Registered
8,794 Posts
seems to me that folks that lived in Hurricane prone area would keep the guns they have in a portable crate and ready to move at first warning of impending storm - 'get while the gettin' is good' so to speak.
where I live we don't face storms like 'canes but ice and blizzards (like in '60 & '93 with subzero temps and 2+' of snow) are bad enuff. folk freeze to death up here.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
I now have power!

Sorry for the absense, but IKE knocked out our power. Got it back last night. It knocked down 8 big trees, one across the septic tank, but it missed the pump and sprinklers. Glad it didn't damage the house any.

I downloaded the u-tub version of the Geraldo getting knocked down. With this 25kb line I have it took a half hour to download, but it was worth it.

Did you guys get any damage?

· Registered
118 Posts
Glad You're Back

I'm glad to see you survived Ike, I was wondering how things went for you.

We had a few trees down in my area of South MS but no power outages.

· Registered
2,906 Posts
Cajun, glad to hear that you are back and given the circumstances in pretty good shape. But man, I can't believe the beating that South Texas took!! Here on the Florida gulf coast, would you believe it, we didn't even get any rain out of Ike. Is there anything that we can do for you and the family?

Yes, that picture of Geraldo getting his arse swamped is classic - it couldn't happened to a nicer guy.

· hostilenativelibertarian.
7,889 Posts
:lol:Has anyone got a link to the geraldo incident?:lol:

· hostilenativelibertarian.
7,889 Posts
:)Rutro-Are you out there?Did you make it thru Ike ok?I have'nt seen you post lately-just wondered if all is ok?:)

· Registered
9,633 Posts
I'd give you a link, but my phone line is 25kb on a good day. It takes forever to even post. Sure miss my DSL. I can't get it out here in the sticks. You can google it. like geraldo dumped, or hit by wave, several links will come up.

Thanks COBRADOC we are OK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.