Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this forum a while back but didn't seriously get a chance to poke around till about a week ago. Just wanted to say hello. I finally picked up a M1A over xmas and now I'm wondering why I bought all these other guns BEFORE buying this one. Only put 40rds through it but was impressed with the function and out of box accuracy (and for the base model too)! Can't wait for the snow to disappear so I can properly sight it in and do some more shooting. Regards.

GL

BTW, the only downside? The mags aren't that cheap compared to some rifles but still no regrets!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I felt the same way once I sighted in my M1A with 6x24 Springfield Armory scope. Was impressed with the out box accuracy, reliability and power. I look at other rifles but, i find myself gaging them against my M1A and they all seem to lose???

blzn69:ar15:

·
Registered
18 Posts
My most accurate rifle to date has been ruger M77MkII in a 6.5x55mm caliber. My mini-14 has been a tackdriver out of the box
with the help of a homegrown trigger job.
Now I have fired a friends FAL .308 battle rifle and it just seemed too heavy and bulky with alot of substantial recoil for my likes.
No way was I able to line up for a second followup shot using open sights. This concerns me a great deal and has kept me from impulse buying that M1A.
I do live in calif, so for a battle rifle that M1a would be my last purchase.
I do plan on purchasing the basic rifle proably in black or wood.
Is the pkg deals beenin offered really any better than just stock?
I expect the rifle to shoot 1 Moa out of the box.
If ruger can do it so should springfield.
any opinons are highly welcome
shoot straight always
bc
:usa: :sniper: :samurai:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Each rifle is accuracy law unto itself. I have had Rugers that would not shoot very well out of the box, the M77/22 Hornet is a good example. I have yet to find a Mini-14 that would. My M1As are standard models. The older M1A would, and still can, shoot moa out of the box. My newer M1A can hold easily hold a 3-inch circle at 200 yards, but isn't a moa rifle. I suppose the newer one would shoot better if I took the time to find a load that it really likes, but then that eats up a lot of money in powder, bullets and primers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like we are in the same boat smithstoo. I also live in Cali, and im going to buy an M1A. I also don't know which one to get, but i do know that i must buy one before the october 31st deadline of the scope rebate going off. I also know that i must have stainless steel. I think im going to get the loaded standard in SS. I live near sacramento, yourself?:ar15:

·
Registered
48 Posts
tesla,

That is the same model I bought 6 weeks ago - Stainless, loaded standard with the walnut stock.

A beautiful piece of work! :D

If you want to get into serious competition, you might go for the National Match (if you have the bucks). For anything less than that, the Loaded WILL get the job done! :rapid:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Tesla -
Greetings for Roseville!
I bought a standard loaded SS a couple of years ago and don't regret it for a minute. Its a fantastic package. I dig the stainless barrell. The match rifles are great for, well, match shooting. Big bulky stock and a heavy barrel.
I've shot my standard loaded SS ine in a couple of NRA matches it did just fine, I think a match rifle is a bit too specialized for me.
That scope deal sound pretty cool too!
:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey guys!

I took advantage of Springfields scope offer and have enjoyed M1A and scope ever since. Remember the scope that is being offered has rangefinding which kicks a**. With my 6x20 Springfield scope I have easily hit chest sized plates to 500 to 600yards. My M1A is a standard.

Take advanage of the offer, you wont regret it!!!

blzn69:ar15:

·
Registered
6 Posts
What exactly does the rangefinding feature of the 6x40 govt. scope do? Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ah to own one of my own! I use a friends M1A's as often as I can it is a prize to have one in your hands, we Californians have very few options left. Get them while we can.:usa:

·
Registered
541 Posts
smithstoo,when you say "If Ruger can do it so should Springfield" you are comparing two different animals.It's alot easier to make a bolt gun shoot accurate than an auto.Not to mention two different rounds.Be that as it may,I think you will be happy with the big 14.I don't know anyone that isn't.Don't forget about Armscorp.Either of the two will make you a happy camper! Check'em out at WWW.ARMSCORPUSA.COM When you get one,let us know what you think.I bet we already know.;) :sniper:

·
Registered
18 Posts
between the bolt and semi auto rifles. There is something unique
and paticular about semi automatic american made versions of wartime weapons of our nations past.
I have 3 long rifle purchases to make and all 3 are us miltary type or styled weapons. M1A, M1Garand trying to get both in .308 perhaps.
then finally a M1 Carbine. . for the lil lady of the house. :)
Then i see the springfield or is it the enfield 03. And let's not forget the M1 thompson now still offered in a semi automatic version. Geez did i say i had 3 rifles left to buy looks like the tally is now 5.
Of all those choices the M1A will be trophy of the gun safe. I live down here in southern calif. deserts approx 15 miles from the border in the city of imperial located in the imperial Vally.

Perhaps i should heed to your post of how the M1a overshadows
most others guns. no use in buying more than one truly needs
eh?...:D

btw
to all my fellow calif gunowners
who are not members of the NRA...
one question please.....
WHY NOT?
"we must all stand together, or surely we will all hang seperately" - Ben Fraklin
history can be so cool-
later-
bc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts