Perfect Union banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My Mom was a riveter on B-26 Marauders at a southern California plant. Everyone had a part in the war effort and our country was united as it would ever be.
My dad carried a Garand throughout most of the Pacific Island battles but said he really liked the M3 "Grease" Gun for jungle fighting later in the war.
I remember him liking that first Mini I had in the 70's.
Combining the best things about the Garand in a scaled down package and our new service cartridge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For me it was the love of the M1 Rifle and M1 Carbine and a growing appreciation for intermediate cartridges. I collect M1s...it was a natural progression. Also, I am an avid deer and bear hunter here in the north woods. The 7.62x39 is surprisingly flat to 200 yards and offers enough punch without the punishing recoil of a full house cartridge. While there is a chance i could take a 200 yard shot...its not likely as my shots are within 100. The 7.62 is perfect for my needs and having tested ammunition into ballistics gel at 200 yards...I'm 100% confident in that distance as an outer limit.

The rifle speaks for its self...Garand rotating bolt action, easy to clean and maintain, supremely reliable...and they handle excellently.

Mine has been accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My dad taught me how to shoot with a M1A (Not the best for a skinny framed teen) but none the less I fell in love with that rifle and operation of it. I turned 18 and Obama had been elected, decided it was a good time to get a rifle Naturally I wanted a M1A but it was out of my budget because I intended to get a pistol and rifle (18 legal for private pistol sales), so I decided to get a AR-15. Due to his election, prices sky rocketed and it was out of my range when I got to the gun show. I saw a Mini-14 on the table, didn't really do any diligence but my dad told me it's a good work rifle and it won't scare your mum as much. It was $500 or so which was perfect because my entire budget was $1,000. I used the rest on a CZ 75B (which was the closest thing to a hi power I could afford but later only found out they're aesthetically similar but not mechanically).

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I certainly hope that Ruger is thanking all of the liberal ban States for the interest in the Mini 14. A rifle that languished for years especially when the price of the AR's was dropping. The shoe is now on the other foot and I'm sure Ruger is cleaning up. Getting updated information on this forum hasn't hurt.
kwg

·
Been here forever.....
220 Posts
30 years ago, my brothers and I shot service rifle matches with M-1 Garands. I went overseas for a few years, and when I returned my brothers had scattered across the country for work. Being young and broke, I could not afford a Garand or M1A, but I still loved that style action. After trying a Mini, I found that it is a blast. Now I have Minis in three different calibers, a Deerfield (basically a 44 Mag Mini) and an M1A.

Heck! Come September, I will have been a member of this forum for twenty years!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I certainly hope that Ruger is thanking all of the liberal ban States for the interest in the Mini 14. A rifle that languished for years especially when the price of the AR's was dropping. The shoe is now on the other foot and I'm sure Ruger is cleaning up. Getting updated information on this forum hasn't hurt.
kwg
I wouldnt be celebrating or thinking just because 1 firearm thats villanized and is wanted to be banned , as a relief they arent going after the minis..YET...the leftists know exactly what a so called assault weapon is, in its simplest form its a semi auto..nothing more nothing less..once the AR is banned..then every single semi will be on the chopping block, and if you dont open your eyes to that..then you arent thinking straight...I know many of you want to seek comfort in " they arent coming for me"..but they are...they have systematically gone down the list of how to get rid of ALL firearms over the years..and it will be a few more years before almost all firearms are on some list to be further banned or controlled....if things dont change...

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I wouldnt be celebrating or thinking just because 1 firearm thats villanized and is wanted to be banned , as a relief they arent going after the minis..YET...the leftists know exactly what a so called assault weapon is, in its simplest form its a semi auto..nothing more nothing less..once the AR is banned..then every single semi will be on the chopping block, and if you dont open your eyes to that..then you arent thinking straight...I know many of you want to seek comfort in " they arent coming for me"..but they are...they have systematically gone down the list of how to get rid of ALL firearms over the years..and it will be a few more years before almost all firearms are on some list to be further banned or controlled....if things dont change...
I can't say I'm as pessimistic as you are but there is no doubt the liberal left has us in their sights. The up side is there are a lot of folks who are really tired of the liberal left and have some concern for the communist Chinese and a pending government over throw. The AR's might get neutered but I have the feeling that many Americans are going to draw the line at the Mini's. Walk softly and carry a big stick applies to American leftists and communist China. The Mini is just another version of the "big stick" for potential foreign bad guys and American born terrorists.

Just ask the Koreans during the Rodney King riots. Those folks who tested them are in no position to testify since they are now dead.

kwg

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I can't say I'm as pessimistic as you are but there is no doubt the liberal left has us in their sights. The up side is there are a lot of folks who are really tired of the liberal left and have some concern for the communist Chinese and a pending government over throw. The AR's might get neutered but I have the feeling that many Americans are going to draw the line at the Mini's. Walk softly and carry a big stick applies to American leftists and communist China. The Mini is just another version of the "big stick" for potential foreign bad guys and American born terrorists.

Just ask the Koreans during the Rodney King riots. Those folks who tested them are in no position to testify since they are now dead.

kwg
I think that statement is more that you may not like ARs or you dont own any....I dont know, so im just guessing, if anyone wants to look the numbers up, but im suspecting there are more AR owners than minis....and would think any American would not want anything they presently shoot..banned or as you say neutered...
but its the old ..get the foot in the door trick...DONT FALL FOR IT..you are getting a false sense of security with the mini as its not being mentioned now, ill bet you a nice steak and lobster diner..within days if they ever ban Ars that minis and every other semi would be added to that list within days or weeks....that is the problem..and its been done before with other items...just look at the no fly list( and if your on that you cant own firearms) it started for terrorists and now has plenty of honest legal Americans on it for stupid reasons..but once a list is started it wont end...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I came upon my very early “eared” SS Mini, straight off of a charter boat in the Gulf of Mexico. The Capt. decided he needed a “bigger gun” an opted to buy a then new SS 12ga pump gun. Said something about a stunned 10’ White Tip, he shot, coming alive “on board” out in the Gulf, bet that was interesting. This then aged and well used Mini was fairly cheap.
When I arrived at the 101st Airborne Division as a survey chief, the survey unit was full, so...the commander says, we need an armorer, you interested, sure, so off to the 3rd Army Armorer School I went. Trained up on all of the junk from 105s to 45s. At that time we had the M-14 then right off we changed out to the XM-16 E1 I was trained on both systems. Worked on them both and built my own sniper rifle from one of dozen hand selected M-14s I selected out of Div Supply.
So rebuilding this particular Mini to a .3 inch shooter was actually a piece of cake.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Y2K Needed me a rifle to fend off the crazy people. I had heard the AR 15's were junk so I steered clear. Good Lord she was an inaccurate rifle, never had one like this. Tore it apart and put it back together, still the same. put it in the safe for some 10 years after it was apparent no hordes of crazy people were coming. Stumbled into this forum and started reading everything about accurizing the lonely little rifle. Grabbed a hacksaw, spoke to a 10-22 trigger guy and asked him if he thought about getting into mini 14 triggers because they have a following? So mine was the guinea pig for Mr. Seth and he started doing the Mini triggers after getting mine down to 3 lb. clean snapper. The little rifle sits at the front of the safe now as a home defense backup to the pistol and has taken over a dozen coyotes around the place.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The operative point here is "If things don't change?"

If things don't change soon, we won't have a country so it probably won't matter. Since most of us are older they will come after us first to get us out of the way. They are importing the new generation of more stupid and pliable voters right now, and if you don't think that is what their plan is, you need some guidance. This is a well thought out Coup, and the Perps, (Which are well Known) need to be arrested and tried in a Military Court. That way they can't pre-empt their own prosecution like they did in the last election.

We are on the cusp of a major change in this country. IF the left isn't stopped in the next few months it will probably be too late adn we will have lost the only country that had a chance of saving this miserable planet..

There must be some way to remove this administration for violation of their oath of office. They are NOT Protecting the American People and that is a legal reason for them to be removed. ( Not impeached) Physically Removed and prosecuted! Why aren't our Republican Politicians doing something other than talking about nothing but minor BS. When they should be figuring out a way to overthrow this Current Regime.

My .02

Randy

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts

If things don't change soon, we won't have a country so it probably won't matter. Since most of us are older they will come after us first to get us out of the way. They are importing the new generation of more stupid and pliable voters right now, and if you don't think that is what their plan is, you need some guidance. This is a well thought out Coup, and the Perps, (Which are well Known) need to be arrested and tried in a Military Court. That way they can't pre-empt their own prosecution like they did in the last election.

We are on the cusp of a major change in this country. IF the left isn't stopped in the next few months it will probably be too late adn we will have lost the only country that had a chance of saving this miserable planet..

There must be some way to remove this administration for violation of their oath of office. They are NOT Protecting the American People and that is a legal reason for them to be removed. ( Not impeached) Physically Removed and prosecuted! Why aren't our Republican Politicians doing something other than talking about nothing but minor BS. When they should be figuring out a way to overthrow this Current Regime.

My .02

Randy
Like it or not, the "Election" is settled Law. I specifically dis-associate myself from comments calling for "Physically Removed and prosecuted for" comments. I understand the comment/sentiment, fully, but disagree..

We have what we have, and barring some unexpected and stunning revelations, we best get used to it. The sooner the better, since we will be better able to combat them.

IDK if the last election was entirely legit. I've been looking widely, and no proof, so far, that it was not.

Like some, I have my suspicions, but suspicions are far from proof, let alone evidence.

I suggest that folks "adjust" to the current election results, and make plans to circumvent such firearms laws as might be forthcoming. Don't like saying so, but Elections have consequences, and we have to deal with them.

In the future, consider any and all means to make things difficult for your elected officials who are not RKBA supporters. A sustained "Letters to the Editor" campaign is a good start, as long as done reasonably, with MANY letter-writers.. A threat to "Primary" them is something to consider.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

My .02

Randy
you know the picture of the person holding their finger in a hole in a dam, only to see the whole dam crumbling around you....well thats what im seeing now...

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
We're definitely veering towards the political side of things here. Suggest submitting such comments on the Political forum, before the "usual suspects" come into this thread, and completely pollute it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts