Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is a "plain jane" 5801 Series 582. Came with 2 5 round mags. I'm drawn to wood stocks on black (blue) rifles. It goes well with my pre-64 Winchesters. When I decided to buy one, I couldn't find any around locally. Ended up ordering it online for delivery to my local FFL. It's the only firearm I ever bought online.

IMG_0014_zps3e12810f.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Through the late '70s & '80s, my rifle of choice for high desert coyote & jack rabbit hunting was an Armalite AR-180 (preceded by a Colt AR15). I modified it with a Sharp Shooter kit and alternated optics between a 3x9 scope and an Aimpoint red-dot in quick release mounts. With handloaded Sierra JHPs it would shoot 1.5" MOA groups. But then came Kalifornia's Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989, and I could no longer enjoy this fine rifle for hunting. So, I sold it and bought a Remington 700 BDL 6mm Bull Barrel Varmint Rifle and a Mini-14 and have never looked back.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,561 Posts
I had an M1 carbine in high school that was given to me by one of my dad's Korean war veteran friends. He treated me like a son. He didn't have a son of his own. He was proudly of Native American descent.

I stupidly sold most of my firearms at some point about age 21. I had been a student of the martial arts (Shotokan Karate) since age 13 and later an instructor. Over time I began gravitating towards primitive weapons like longbow, nunchaku and swords. I still had a Remington shotgun passed down to me from my grandfather, and a Winchester 190 22LR semi-auto rifle, but that was about it. I had many more firearms of various types in high school, including an M1903 Springfield. (Yes, I still want to kick myself for not fully appreciating what I had back then at age 17)

Later in my 20s I started thinking about how cool the M1 Carbine was and started looking for another one. I started buying guns again, beginning with a basic wood stock 10/22. A friend who owned an LGS in town suggested a Mini-14 as a similar alternative to an M1 carbine and lent it to me for a while to try it out. I passed on it and kept looking for an M1.

I started buying gun magazines again and read one of the first reviews of the then new Mini Thirty about 1988. In 1989 another shop in town had a Mini-Thirty in stock so I was able to look it over. I read a couple other articles, one in The American Rifleman by Ed Harris. I was persuaded that the Mini-14 format chambered in the short Russian 30 caliber would be ideal, even better than an M1 carbine.

I ended up buying that brand new 189 series Mini Thirty in late 1989 from the local shop for just under $500.00 including tax. That was probably the most well thought through gun buying decision I've ever made. So I've owned a Mini-Thirty before I ever saw it spelled "Mini-30" in print, and I still have it. And I'm looking for a second one of that vintage... 1989 to early 1990s production.

30 years later IMHO it's still one of the best all purpose one-gun solutions available.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beck, I agree with you totally. If I absolutely had to choose just one of the following: Ruger Ranch, Inland M1 Carbine, AR-15 carbine, and Mini-30, it would hands down be the Mini-30.

The Mini-30 is a great home/ranch defensive carbine, coyote whacker, deer/bear hunting rifle, or even WTSHTF- TEOTWAWKI grab and go gun. I can run it with iron sight, red dot, or even a 1.5 x 5 tactical scope. With a Rhodesian Faradey and sons chest rig with 8 factory 20 round magazines, and another in the weapon, I will be well armed. Mine is stainless with a factory poly stock, so impervious to the elements and abuse.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,561 Posts
Beck, I agree with you totally. If I absolutely had to choose just one of the following: Ruger Ranch, Inland M1 Carbine, AR-15 carbine, and Mini-30, it would hands down be the Mini-30.

The Mini-30 is a great home/ranch defensive carbine, coyote whacker, deer/bear hunting rifle, or even WTSHTF- TEOTWAWKI grab and go gun. I can run it with iron sight, red dot, or even a 1.5 x 5 tactical scope. With a Rhodesian Faradey and sons chest rig with 8 factory 20 round magazines, and another in the weapon, I will be well armed. Mine is stainless with a factory poly stock, so impervious to the elements and abuse.
Absolutely Ima. I think you've said it best in the past when you describe the Mini-30 as an M1 Carbine on steroids. I couldn't have said it better! (y)

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
I bought my 186 Series Stainless Mini at a local gun show I was helping to run. Got it for a considerably reduced price because mags were hard to insert and release. Fixed the problem with stock reinforcement not aligning properly with receiver, and all was well.

It's been through a lot changes since then. Now, it's a reliable 2MOA carbine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I always have liked the Garand being a military history fan and really falling in love with them after having fired one [in a club match] that my wife’s uncle owned. He shot high power matches in Ohio. Then building one from a bag-o-parts and a bbl that came from a good friend. But the Garand has limitations, it’s length and only being an 8 shot. As Y2K approached I decided that a handier rifle might be needed just in case, so I bought a new Mini30 eventually buying a second used one for my son. Guess I was a prepper before it became fashionable. Luckily nothing hit the fan and we didn’t buy tp or canned goods for a very long time. My first mini became the M1a lookalike below after I retired. Don’t remember what happened to the second. I did buy a third mini but it was a Mini14 for another build. A T20.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I like Ruger products....the mini 30 and 14 are nice platforms that perform well.....and are customizable to what you want...

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Got to looking for a more suitable MBR than either my bolt '06 or my Marlin Camp 45 and was put off by prices of the M1 carbine and the M1A1 (my first interest since I owned an '06) and found my 189 ss at a real deal. The x39 round was inexpensive so I jumped.
I've posted it in the gallery, AFAIK the only 30 fitted with a bayonet extant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I trained in basic with an M-14, our reserve unit had M-1’s and Carbines. Later bought a bring back WWII Carbine from a brother officer.

Assembled an AR, but it just wasn’t me with plastic and aluminum. Sold it and bought a tapered barrel Mini-14 a couple of years ago.

Very happy with it, much more my style and what I was used to with wood and steel and a similar bolt system to my Carbine and other military weapons I’d trained with.

I find some of Ruger’s castings and stamped parts a little cheap feeling, but I can live with it. They must be very proud of their magazines with the prices they ask for them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Growing up I was always a military history buff and had a real affinity for tanks. Given this I spent every Independence Day at Fort Knox watching their living history presentation. Read that as tanks in action. There was an OpFor reenacting unit that was really squared away and it had always been my dream to join that unit.

Growing up I had access to a Marlin model 60 and a single shot 12 gauge break open, and a pump 20 gauge, along with a Walther .22 pistol. I shot all of these extensively and thought that was “all a man needed to live a full and rewarding life”.

So round about 30 years ago, the day came that I finally had the time and the means to follow up on that dream of reenacting. I became the proud owner of a 1943 production 8mm Mauser. Of course, all we fired while reenacting was blanks. However, I wanted to see what the old girl could really do. So, I went to the local gun store in search of some 8mm Mauser cartridges.

While standing there working with the gentleman behind the counter I was drawn…love at first sight…to a Ruger Ranch Mini-14 in stainless with wood furniture. :love:

Much to my wife’s chagrin it went home with me that day along with a single box of 8mm Mauser and my first box of .223.

And this is how my life went off the rails and I ended up the hopeless Ruger Mini-14 fan boy that I remain to this day.

In the spirit of “Fractured Fairy Tales: Moral of the story… “Love at first sight really does happen….or…..be careful what you begin…you may never again be able to free yourself from it” o_O

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I got my Mini14 in 2006 and it was used but only slightly, cuz it was less than 1 year old. I got it because I wanted a .223 carbine, and at the time there was a ban on AR's and I never liked AR's that much anyway. I had always been interested in Mini's because they are so much like Garands or M14's. I had a Tanker Garand and knew how to run it so the Mini was the Hot Tip.
It is a 580 Series gun and the first time I shot it it pitched Brass 50 feet to the right, and all I could say was Wow!

I looked around and found ASI who had a standalone Gas Piston for $35 that had a hole drilled and tapped for an adjustment screw so you could adjust the gas down. I had to drill a hole in the gas block for the Adjustment Screw which was no big deal.

I took the gun to the range and had the screw all the way closed and the action didn't cycle. I opened it one turn and it pooped the cases out 5 feet to the right. And that's where it has been ever since.

I started out with a Leapers 1-4X scope on it and ran a couple thousand rounds thru it set up like that. Two Practical Rifle Classes at Front Sight, and decided that it was too clunky handling with the scope on it. So I installed a Bushnell TRS 25 on it and that has worked great ever since. I am good on a man sized target out to 300 yards with teh gun and that's good enough for any conceivable use I might have.

The most recent improvement that I have made to it was the addition of 5 Tapco 2nd Gen 30 round mags. You can only load 28 rounds in them or they don't work right but they function perfectly downloaded by 2.
It has one of my first 1.5" Web Slings Side Mounted so the gun hangs right. I've posted pics of that setup many times here.
This gun is one of my all time favorites, as far as my Carbines it is between the Mini and my Kel-Tec SU16

This gun is a 1MOA gun with my standard .223 Reloads with 25 gr of W748/BL-C2 and Hornady 55 gr FMJ bullets

Randy

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I got my Mini14 in 2006 and it was used but only slightly, cuz it was less than 1 year old. I got it because I wanted a .223 carbine, and at the time there was a ban on AR's and I never liked AR's that much anyway. I had always been interested in Mini's because they are so much like Garands or M14's. I had a Tanker Garand and knew how to run it so the Mini was the Hot Tip.
It is a 580 Series gun and the first time I shot it it pitched Brass 50 feet to the right, and all I could say was Wow!

I looked around and found ASI who had a standalone Gas Piston for $35 that had a hole drilled and tapped for an adjustment screw so you could adjust the gas down. I had to drill a hole in the gas block for the Adjustment Screw which was no big deal. View attachment 63906
I took the gun to the range and had the screw all the way closed and the action didn't cycle. I opened it one turn and it pooped the cases out 5 feet to the right. And that's where it has been ever since.

I started out with a Leapers 1-4X scope on it and ran a couple thousand rounds thru it set up like that. Two Practical Rifle Classes at Front Sight, and decided that it was too clunky handling with the scope on it. So I installed a Bushnell TRS 25 on it and that has worked great ever since. I am good on a man sized target out to 300 yards with teh gun and that's good enough for any conceivable use I might have.
View attachment 63907
The most recent improvement that I have made to it was the addition of 5 Tapco 2nd Gen 30 round mags. You can only load 28 rounds in them or they don't work right but they function perfectly downloaded by 2.
It has one of my first 1.5" Web Slings Side Mounted so the gun hangs right. I've posted pics of that setup many times here.
This gun is one of my all time favorites, as far as my Carbines it is between the Mini and my Kel-Tec SU16
View attachment 63908

This gun is a 1MOA gun with my standard .223 Reloads with 25 gr of W748/BL-C2 and Hornady 55 gr FMJ bullets
View attachment 63909

Randy
what are the 2 fliers on the left side of the target???

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I moved the optic forward and this group was shot while re-sighting the gun in. The shot on the orange bar was the first shot and I moved the dot 3" to the right and 1" up for the group. The POA was the Left Point of the diamond and was shot at 100 yards. I needed @1" high at 100 to be dead on at 200. Since I was indexing the Right Edge of the 3 MOA Dot on that point, I actually went about an inch too far to the right, but I decided to quit while I was ahead when I saw the group. The center of the group should have been strait above the junction of the orange line and the Big Orange Dot to be perfect. I figured there was enough wind to blow the group sideways 1".

This was a used target I picked out of the trash at the range. It had plenty of other holes in it as well. I only fired 6 shots at it. You are about the 25th person to ask about the other holes, most others aren't Mini 14 fans and think they can outshoot me with their AR's. And they probably could, if they could actually shoot their AR's. But they can't, so things like this cause great consternation amongst the underinformed and poorly equipped. That's why they thought Biden was going to make their lives better. How's that workin' out 3 months in?

Randy

·
Registered
92 Posts
The first rifle that I can remember seeing was a ss mini 14 ranch rifle. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, until I saw a mini 14 gb factory folder.
I really wanted a gb folder but because of state laws I don't have one.

I finally three years ago bought a 583 ranch rifle it was ss with a plastic stock which I replaced with a 180 style wood stock. This is my favorite rifle and I hope to someday own a true mini 14.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The Mini came out when I was in high school. I enlisted after I grad-je-ated high school and wasn't too impressed with the M16A1. After my first enlistment, I bought my first Mini, a blued Mini-14, that was the late 70's.
It was O.K. but the aftermarket hi-caps back then sucked (still do today !) and I wasn't wowed with the accuracy.
I bought another mid 80's, a stainless Mini-14. it wasn't much better than the first one I had.

I spent the next few decades with the FAL, HK91, a .308 Garand, a couple of AKs, and several ARs.
Was working in the North Dakota oilfields in 2012 and discovered this forum, and realized Mini knowledge had come a long way since I last had one. A co-worker was selling a 195 series Mini-14 so he could buy another AR.
I was getting bored with ARs, so I jumped on the Mini and did some of the mods I learned from the guys here.

I enjoyed that Mini for about 1 1/2 years, then got my first Mini-30 and forgot all about my Mini-14.
After I bought a second Mini-30 I sold that stainless Mini-14 to another ex-paratrooper.
I can't think of a better carbine to suit all my needs for hunting or defense. Sure there are more powerful rigs like the M1A and AR-10 but they are bigger, heavier, more recoil and more expensive to feed.
As long as you realize it's limitations (300 yards for defense, half that for hunting) it's all I'll ever need, or want.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Well, here it is:
My first assignment overseas - to Germany (Frankfurt area). I was a bachelor officer and provided a BOQ (Bachelor Officer's Quarters) near where I worked, but off-base among a number of German civilian apartment buildings, on a Strasse (Giesener Strasse) overlooking the main Cemetery in Frankfurt, within walking distance to the Kaserne where I worked.

This was in Dec 1979, and there was a lot of nefarious activity by the likes of the Baeder-Meinhof group and the Red Army Faction (RAF). It was most clearly the height of the cold war and terrorism was on the up-swing. I was the assistant S2/3 (security-intel and operations) for our installation and our battalion. I saw all of the security and intel updates daily, and saw "the natives are restless" kinda intel reports regarding the Baeder-Meinhof and RAF activities, as well as the doings of the Russians.

I didn't own a firearm and there was no security to our building - accessible via a high-speed Strasse or two. The good and the bad of it was that our BOQ building was mostly inhabited by Army Nurses (the good part). The bad part was no security and nothing but glass doors (usually un-locked) into our building. We were a "target-rich" environment and it was a secret to nobody.

Shortly after I moved in, one of the resident BOQ neighbors - an MP rotating back to the States, offered me up his Mini-14, which he had tweaked modestly (Choate folder) for a sum that - to me - was reasonable. I don't recall the price, but we exchanged ownership at the Provost Marshall's Office (PMO), along with several Ruger mags. It was my first firearm - a 181GB - and I knew nothing about it other than it was very sweet and shot 5.56/.223 - ammo readily available should the Commie Hoarde come charging through the Fulda Gap, or the RAF/Baeder-Meinhof folks come storming our lone off-post BOQ full of nurses. Loaded up with 5.56 ammo, I felt comfortable defending myself and my fellow BOQ mates.

So that was my first firearm I owned, which was a Mini-14. A few months later, I bought a Colt 1911 Govt Model 70 through the Frankfurt Rod and Gun Club. I still have them both and they are my favorites.

Through the next few years, I often ran our battalion's weapons qualification on a range that was shared with the Frankfurt Polezei. After qualification, there was usually ammo left over and once the troops headed back for gun-cleaning, the Polezei and I had lots of fun shooting each-other's weapons. They loved my Mini-14 and even more-so, the Colt 1911, compared to their P-38s. It's good to be friends with the local Polezei! As un-fired ammo from a Q-range posed huge logistics and security issues, any left-over ammo usually found its way to an unauthorized ammo supply point...If you get my drift...

They were impressed! And they let me shoot all of their side-arms and their 9mm sub-machine guns. It was a great after-hours shoot-fest, which we did several times over my three years in Germany.

So that's my story, and I'm stickin' with it! And will deny everything under oath!;)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My 180 Series Mini was my third Ruger Rifle. First was my 10-22 with black walnut stock my wife gave me in 1973, Second was in 1973 also, my Deerfield 44 Magnum, which I stupidly sold 4 or five years later, and thisr was my 180 Series Mini which I bought around 1980. I have been a Mini-lover ever since. In the last 41 years, there was a half dozen year window 2007 to 2013ish where I mostly lived in Free America instead of Commiefornia, and had multiple AKs and ASRs instead of Minis.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts