Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new mini 14 stainless synthetic ranch model. Its an awesome gun! I also got a fairly inexpensive ($100) but nice Bushnel 3-9x scope. After reading around on some threads it sounded like sending my rifle to DRC Custom was the best way to cheaply improve the acuracy. I was wondering what you guys thought about this, or if there were other options. I'm not shure exactly how to glass bed the stock or install the gass bushings. I'm only 16 years old and am therefore a little tight on cash :( . I'm going to be using this rifle mainly for groundhogs and other varmints on the farm, and so far the acuracy of my mini isnt suiting my needs. Do you know if the DRC package and bedding will get me down into 1'' groups at 100 yards? What are some other inexpensive options to improve acuracy? Thank alot for your help!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum Carnifex. You came to the right place for advice. We have 2000 + members world wide. What we have in common is we are Mini owners, with varying degrees of experience with the mini, and we help each other as we can.

Congrats on your new mini. I hear ya on being tight on funds, thats why I did as much as possible myself, to my mini to save money.

Typically out of the box a mini shoots 4 1/2" - 5" groups. 1" groups at 100 yds with out spending some bucks is possible for very few mini's. 2" groups is a more realistic goal.

1. Break in barrel
2. Install muzzle brake. $19.95 easy to install yourself
3. Select ammo your mini likes
This will get you around 2 1/2" groups (with flyers)at 100 yds, using scope, sand bag, or bipod, and good shooting technique.

To get to 2" or less with no flyers, a trigger job, and bedding the stock is in order.

Click on the search button (upper right) and enter key words for more info. on these subjects. Your key words will be in red. Spending a little time researching is well worth it. It will save you time, and money.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Carnifax, if that does not do it for you, I would send it to DRC. Look at one of my posts from last week. Target included.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There's alot of us here that are glad to help you. Break it in slow with good ammo, get a break and explore your options... there's plenty to get her 'just right'.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Carnifex,

I too have a SS Syn RR. Got it a couple of months ago after spending a lot of time on this BBS learning.

One post about accurizing that really stood out was from a fellow with a SS Syn RR that with little more than a muzzel brake and some fiddling with the stock "fit" was shooting about 1.5". He said, he thought the key was fitting the stock so that the receiver touched flat and solid on the top of the stock before the trigger group was put in.

Checking, I noticed on my rifle (shooting about 3.5" to 4" with a brake) that the front of the receiver touched first then the trigger group pulled the receiver flat while putting quite a bending moment on the barrel & stock. I loosened the gas blocks and set the action in place installed the trigger group and tightened the blocks. Then, I removed the trigger group and with repeated fittings and a bastard file I "shaved" the top deck of the stock 'til the receiver set flat and solid before the trigger group was installed. This, along with a trigger job has brought my groups to 1.25" to 1.5". I was amazed! I have not yet bedded the stock and may not for a while. I believe if I had bedded this stock without this fitting I would simply have made the bending stress on the barrel more consistant and perhaps improved the groups some. I now feel I have a good, solid, flat fitting stock to bed and might get close to 1" when I'm done. I'm excited, mini's aren't supposed to shoot this good.

Perhaps some of the guys who haven't gotten good results with bedding may have just bedded a poor stock fit.

So fit that stock before you bed it!

Oh, I also found my mini (RR) loves Winchester 45gr JHP varmint loads from Walmart. Doesn't do as well with 55 or 62 gr, but that may change after it's bedded.

Good Luck with yours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good point on ammo preference. All rifles will like a certain type/weight/brand of ammo, try different ammos and keep a little notebook of your results. It may take a little while to explore and it won't start gaining it's preferences til the rifling breaks in. But it is something for the future. You'll find some types it REALLY likes and will perform very well with. Stuff it doesn't like, you can use for plinking/breaking in new magazines.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, thanks for some of the info. I tried to take off the gas block and even it up some, but i am unable to find the right size allen wrench to get the damn screws out! I also was on cheaper than dirt to buy the blackwarrior muzzle break when i noticed it said "Does not fit guns with serial number above 195-range, the barrel diameter is too large." My serial # 197-xxxxx. Wtf is it talking about my barrel is too big? Can someone please explain this to me, I would greatly apreciate it. Thanks for all the help so far guys, I love the forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
a question on what type of ammo the mini likes - I've shot American eagle then winchester (cheap stuff). I get different groupings with each (the american eagle shoots 2" higher and 2 inches to the right compared to the winchester). But---- both are consistent when I zero the scope. So..... which is better?

Chris M

:usa: Semper Fi

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'v been searching around the net and came across a .22lr conversion for the mini. http://www.22lrconversions.com/mini-pg.htm I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this or heard of it. It sounds kinda sketchy to me but it would be pretty cool. Even though i already have a 10/22 :p Just noticed they have the wrong link when u click on "Detailed Information" here is the correct link to the detailed info http://www.22lrconversions.com/mini-inf.htm

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Carnifex, click on the search button, enter 22lr conversion, and at least 5 threads will come up.

Chris, when comparing how ammo shoots, I'm not concerned with POI at that time, cause it can be adjusted later. I shoot at least 5 groups of 5 rounds of each. Then measure each group center to center of 2 most distant rnds. Then average. The smallest average group size win's.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thanks guys, but here i go with another stupid question, what size allen wrench do I use to take off the gas block?! I'v tried all i have but none seem to fit. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Sorry carnifex, my mail box was full so I didn't get your pm. You can try it now.

To answer your question 9/64" Use a new one not a worn one or it may strip the head of the allen screws as they are often staked.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the fast reply! I'll be ordering one of those along with some other nice stuff off Brownells. Found a sweet WGRS rear sight on there for my ranch. Finally glad to see a nice rear sight for the ranch.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
You could get the allen wrench cheaper from walmart or Home Depot, but usually a whole set. Make shure the 9/64" is in there.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea, i already have a poop load of allen wrenches, so another set would be waste. I seem to have everysize imaginable but not that damn 9/64. I live kinda out in the boonies and the closest wal-mart is 40 min away :( One good thing about living in the middle of no where is i dont have to go the range, since my backyard is my range :D I was buying like 4 other things from brownells so i thought i'd rather pay the extra 30 cents than pay twice that in gas. But thanks for the tip, money saving ideas always help. I'll be workin on what cjmkerns said to do with the stock next weekend cuz i have the same problem with the back of the reciever not trouching the stock. I'm still thinkin about sending my mini to DRC cuz from what i'v read, he does a nice job for a little amount of money. Good huntin fellas :sniper:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
w00t the mini takes it's first victim. That groundhog didnt stand a chance. Ok, now i know this is off topic, but do any of you know if it is illegal to kill a buzzard? I got a friend who gets a kick out of buzzard hunting. I was just wondering if i twas legit or not.
Ok, and another question :rolleyes: , what is a good cheek pad? I dont have a cheek weld but more of a chin weld. I remember reading some where about one that strapped on and you inserted more of the stuff to get it the right hight. Oh well, give me ur thoughts on it please. Thanks :)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Carnifex Tell your friend if I can find out who he is, I'll turn his butt in. Its a $10,000 fine, and or jail time for him if they are protected species, in some states. Don't believe me just call up fish and game, and ask them! :mad:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here in Va. you can shoot buzzards when cows are having calves.The reason is the buzzards start eating the calves before they are fully born. Ask any game warden or farmer. But no you can't shoot them just for the hell of it .

·
Registered
324 Posts
Originally posted by Carnifex
what is a good cheek pad? I dont have a cheek weld but more of a chin weld. I remember reading some where about one that strapped on and you inserted more of the stuff to get it the right hight. Oh well, give me ur thoughts on it please. Thanks :)
I was looking myself. Check out the Cheek Rest /Comb Raising Kit - looks like the best one I've seen so far - at www.beartoothproducts.com and go to Products and then Comb Raising Kit. The $24 cheaper than many. and it looks a LOT nicer, and it looks easy on the cheek (I can't imaging wanting to shoot 100 rds on a Cordura rest...). They give you 5 Hi-Density Cheek Pads that you stack to get your exact height (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8") under a removable heavy duty neoprene rubber protective cover designed to protect the stock (and also sold separately for that, or to camo it quickly). I really like the concept -- it looks like a simple, solid, removable system without screws, ties, or velcro. You'll have to remove the rear sling mount to put it on. A small hole will be needed where the sling stud goes.

-- cw

1 - 20 of 22 Posts