Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an FM Hi-Power that I would like to get refinished. It has some heavy tooling or maching marks on the sides of the slide. I don't think just bead blasting will completely hide them.

I would like to do some of the prep work before I take it to a pro for whatever finish I finall decide on. What is the best way to get rid of the maching marks that can be done by hand?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Draw filing works, but often if you remove enough metal to get rid of the other marks, and then polish out the marks left by the file, lettering, etc on the slide is effected/erased.

·
Troll Fister
138 Posts
Draw filing works, but often if you remove enough metal to get rid of the other marks, and then polish out the marks left by the file, lettering, etc on the slide is effected/erased.
you know allllllll about filing stuff off guns, don't you Convict :ph34r:

this is the first thing you you've posted thsat I genuinely belive you ACTUALLY know what you are talking about :rolleyes:

sad really...

·
Registered
62 Posts
WOW, convicted a guy for giving advise.:blink:

Draw is a great way to remove machine marks.

Another method would be to use a scotch brite pads. I have 3 different types of pads. the green ones are the finest, brown pads come in 2 different grits.

I get these at auto swap meets and can be purchased at any good automotive paint shop.

I have used them to remove scratches on stainless steel appliances and my savage .17 that had scratches on the barrel. Just like sand paper, start with the heavy one and work down to the finest.

This way you can target the area that needs cleaning up and stay away from the markings.

The other option would be to use a finish that might fill the marks and level out to make it smooth.

God forbid we dont want to offend judge Destroyer.......:D

Larry

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
WOW, convicted a guy for giving advise.:blink:
God forbid we dont want to offend judge Destroyer.......:D
Larry
No Larry, whoa is Gunkid, hes a big time gun forum troll and convicted felon. He has multiple user names here on the PU and a few of the guys here cap on him. That post of his was one of very few that was actually helpful. If you don't know who gunkid is just google him and have a laugh.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Google does have allot on him.

Thanks for the heads up...

I stand corrected............:huh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts