Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a can of worms to open but.. I shoot several of my guns 1x to 3x times a week and some , like old Rem 722 from dad About 3x a year and want to hear ideas on short term and long term storage methods.products tied and tested and LIKED.All guns are stored in a safe (is there any other place!) and have Golden rod installed and have sack-ups on all guns. I really appreciate any ideas as i have only been collecting for about 9months. helicrazy

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I just use a good gun oil on the metal surfaces, wipe everything down and re-oil every 6 months. If I had to do long term storage I think I would look into somthing more like a cosmolene and oil-paper wrap (I know its messy) seems to work for the arsonels
Your idea of short / long might be different than mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tailgunner,
actually our timelines are very similar since one or two guns are only pulled out once or twice a year to clean ,inspect and fire. So it is at this time I have noticed that some oils like Hoppe's lubricating oil that i used last because that is what I had seemed to turn Green?? when a patch was pulled thru the bore?:sniper:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The green is copper fouling that the Hoppes has loosened up from in the barrel.
Try this after doing your normal cleaning, run a loose fitting patch thats wet with bore cleaner thru the barrel, after several hours (or overnight) push a tight dry patch thru.
Repeat the loose patch, soak overnight, dry patch until there is no green showing.
Now do your oil and store.
It can be surprising how much copper is left behind, but the good news is that the next time around it won't take nearly as long to get the copper out.
I hate to admit it but after a few years of 'normal cleaning' it took over a week (of the above method) to get one of my barrels to stop showing copper, wasn't a cheap production barrel either it was a Shillen match barrel I had turned down for my hunting rifle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had suspected that that might be the case , but was a little freaked to discover such a strange color on my patch . I am currently using Hoppe's solvent . What other solvents have you used and to what pos and neg? i am also using Sweet's 7.62 to clean my mini-14 after varget and h335 loads. dirty stuff:D

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I only use the Hoppes or the Midway brand solvent.
Another product thats supposed to do a good job is Kroil brand penatrating oil (put it in, let it soak a couple hours, and wipe it out) haven't tried it myself

The powder residues are the easy part of cleaning, it's the metal fouling thats tough (copper & lead)
If you think those are dirty try Unique powder in a low pressure shotgun load, looks like 3 miles of bad road in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it would seem that the Key words here are "let it sit for AWHILE" then run a tight patch and repeat . Now , do you use any brushes on your high end barrels and of what type? :usa:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
OK You asked for it
Bronze brush only, Wet with solvent, 2 passes in each direction, Than clean the brush with carb. cleaner (the solvent will eat the brush, just likes it eats the copper) Than I go to patchs only as above.
1 piece stainless rod (wiped between passes), bore guide is a must have tool (they can be bought or made), I prefer the brass spear point jags (use a 270 jag for the loose patch in a 30cal), I don't use a loop tip at all, cleaning cradles are handy tools to have also.
Soft rods can pick up grit and I don't want any extra wear in my barrels.
Good barrels start at $170 for a chrome-moly blank and Stainless blanks start at about $275, add to that the time & cost of chambering, crowning, threading, bluing and fitting, You can see why I try to take care of them.
What you are paying for in the premeums is the 'its not perfect throw it out' attitude instead of the 'close enough for who it's for' attitude of the factorys.
Take care of that Mini and you can pass it on to your kids / grandkids

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes ' I did ask and i got It. :) i also use the one piece rod and will Now wipe it between passes too. the spear brass jags are the greatest! I did not think that the solvent wuold eat the brush but it is very logical .. My bronze brushes are still so young .. Now I have heard of guys that use nylon brushes only ?? . Can't imagine anything getting clean that way or sounds like ALOT of work. Thanks Tailgunner I learned something NEW :ar15:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Stainless brushes are harder than CM steel and can scratch the bore.
Nylon while softer, can become embedded with grit. Its that same grit that will scar up the barrel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK This is what I have done in the past and it has worked for me ( And I live two blocks from the beach, LOTS of fog and moisture!!)
Cover your barrel or any other metal with some type of grease, axle grease, gun grease,....you decide. Then wrap the metal with wax paper from the grocery store. Put a rubber band or string or velcro around it to keep good contact.

Before I did this if I didn't wipe them down every month or so they would rust. I also started keeping the guns in their plastic cases with desiccant in the box. They work good but need to be recharged in the oven every once in a while.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah Bronc - when I first started buying guns I lived about 100 yds from the beach. Kept my guns in the closet in the soft cases. BIG MISTAKE! After the smitty got done with the re-bluing, I started to learn a lot!

Hey Heli - That green stuff is oxidized copper that was not cleaned out of the barrel. Hoppes #9 is powder solvent and does nothing to break down the copper. All the methods mentioned above are great.
Some additonal suggerstions:
Get a bore guide, it makes that hard work alot easier.
Try Hoppes copper solvent or Shooter's Choice or my favorite, Butches Bore Shine. Either on of those you can let sit overnight.
Sweets 7.62 is great but its so powerful that you shouldn't leave it in the bore for more than 10 minutes.
One last thing - a bore that has not been "properly" cleaned in years can have several layers of powder/cooper/powder/copper. Yes it can take a week, but when you're done, future cleaning will be much easier -
GOOD LUCK!:ar15:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts