Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to headspace M-14, I got a new bolt for a spare, and want to fit it to the gun. The new bolt does not fully close. The right rear shoulder measures .002-.003, so that is in specs. What else should adjusted.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
In regards to your question there are generally two schools of thought in fitting a bolt to the M-14/M1A type rifles; First is the 'correct' armorers way which is to cut and grind and file the reciever only and then 'lap' the bolt in with compound. While this is fine on it's face, the assumption is if something gets out of spec. you can grab another barreled action and start again! Generaly not an option for you and me. You can also fit the bolt to your reciever-if you screw that up it will cost you between $35-75 dollars for another one. Kuhnhausen says the headspace should be between 1.6355" to 1.6385". Hope this helps.

------------------
Mancos Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Saber; Another thing to keep in mind is if you are not familiar with the Garand style rotating bolt and it's cycle and lock-up characteristics, I would NOT attempt to fit a bolt to your '14 myself. You MUST posses at least two of the three gauges (GO, NO GO,) that military armorers used (the third being field reject)and understand firing pin length etc. Bottom line is to have a proficient 'smith like Mckee at Fulton or Orion7's guys do the work. In the end you will have a better safer rifle. Again hope this helps.

------------------
Mancos Tom

[This message has been edited by Mancos Tom (edited 02-26-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts