1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Any information on this?

How Short a barrel before Accuracy is Lost Ruger 10/22

I like hunting, plinking ect with my 10/22 but would like to have my .22 as short as possible to transport the rifle, what would you recommend? how short the barrel?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have seen 16.5 inch barrels that will shoot 1 moa or better. Valquartsen makes a great 16.5 inch barrel that will shoot .3 inch groups at 50 yards with the right ammo.

·
Registered
685 Posts
butler creek makes a take down stock for the 10/22, pull the fore arm down and barrel slides out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi boogeyman

Yes I have seen this stock, called the take down stock. The cost is $100 American

The one thing is that with the standard stock has a clip on the end of the barrel, that holds the barrel onto the stock. The take down stock has a floating barrel, no clip. This makes me a little concerned because we do not know if the take down stock is made for the standard barrel or the after market barrels. The after market barrels are usually thicker than the normal ones. This means that I will have to put rubber around the barrel to stop it from moving around, it reminds me of the after market stock that I purchased & after this date I could not hit anything at the club.

The only thing that I could say, is if anyone buys an after market stock, then you must try your 10/22 in the stock, within the shop, to see if any movement.

.22 rifle is about accuracy.

Hi amosblack

Yes I have been talking with my gunsmith, & he has said that the .22 bullet is at it's fastest vol at 16" barrel, so you do not need any more than 16"

It cost about $170 to fully suppress the .22 & I may not do this because of the cost.

To cut down my barrel to 16 inches would cost $60 American, this is very costly for 2.5 inches off the barrel.

So much cost when you enter the gunsmith door.

Come to think about it, it would be a great idea to buy another barrel, maybe a second hand barrel if it looks good in side & then cut it down myself, then see if I can get any accuracy. This would be fun.

:samurai: :rapid:

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Curious: What are the rules about barrel length like in New Zealand?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bill

I better check this one out, but I do know that it's measured from the hole length of the rifle, not just the barrel length.

I have seen very short pig hunting guns here.

The good thing is, that the gunsmith will say if it's not allowed in NZ.

What I'm thinking of now, is to shorten the barrel to 12 inches, basically that's to the stock, on the standard ruger 10/22.

The only thing that will exceed the stock will be the thread & silencer.

:sniper: :trooper:

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
I own a Ruger 10/22 with a Butler Creek "carbon fiber" barrel. It is just over 16" (maybe 17?), is very light, and it is a bull barrel. Very light and handy for hunting.

Click here for images

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bill,

whats the story on your carbon fiber barrel, how much, weight and accuracy. Any place online to check one out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi
In NZ the rifle under the law has to be at or greater than 762mm, this is taken from the start of the stock to the end of the barrel.

If we weld the silencer onto the barrel then this is part of the barrel, just by law thats all, then we can have a total length with silencer at 762mm.

I would not weld the silencer because I would need to clean the silencer once every 2000 rds or more.

Their is a lot of build up, within the silencer, it seems to be the rubbish bin of the rifle. I was shocked the first time I took the silencer apart, it must have gained a lot of weight, between when new to when I first cleaned it.

If I do cut the barrel down, then as mentioned their maybe a cycle problem because of the timing change of the pressure when the bullet is shot, How would I fix this without going to a gun smith. The cut & crown of the barrel will be with the gunsmith. Would it just be the spring that cycles the bullet need to be cut down, to make it less pressure to cycle the rifle? please note that I have cut the spring once because I was using subsonic bullets, this work well.

:ar15:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts