Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of talk about ammo right now, with most of us wishing we'd have put back more before the hype. Some have hundreds, while others have thousands, which leads to the question...how much do you feel is enough?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I suppose it depends on how bad things get. If economic conditions get so severe that we have a historic economic collapse, the need will be much higher to defend yourself. If we fall into civil war or revolution, the need will be huge and a few thousand rounds will seem inadequate. If you read the history of the American Revolution or the Civil War, there was much interpersonal violence among civilians, and as much as people wanted to avoid being involved, circumstances seemed to draw many of them into conflict with their neighbors and even family.

Border States during the Civil War were particularly brutal places to live. Here is an interesting account of Sam Hildebrand, a notorious bushwhacker, as an example of the sort of violence that goes on during such times.

Fighting and Feuding Index Page

Men like William Quantrill, Jesse James, Coleman Younger, Bloody Bill Anderson, and Sam Hildebrand rode in small groups to wage a guerrilla war against the Union in Southern Missouri, occasionally joining together to carry our larger raids.

As divided as the US is today, it would not surprise me a bit if we fell into some sort of civil conflict in the not too distant future, driven by different views of the role of government and dire economic circumstances.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you know how much you have, then you don't have enough!!!:D

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
If you know how much you have, then you don't have enough!!!:D
+1000! Same principle applies to guns. :eek:

Seriously though, since a single range trip can be 500-1000 ctgs, even a 20k stash isn't so hot if ammo isn't available in the future. So it all depends on what world you think you'll live in.

1. Preparing for an occasional shortage - I would say a 2-3 month supply is fine since it will be evened out by then. Look at how many ctgs you expend per month and do your calculations from there. Put $$ away to pay for replacement ammo every time you go shooting though or you will have trouble replacing your stash if you've really drawn it down.
2. Long term shortage (next 4 years = gunowner hell with chronic large scale shortages). Then you're going to have to build a larger stash, say for a multiyear scale. That wasn't (and isn't) practical for me so I'm changing to a low ammo usage/highest possible ammo acquisition model to build stockpile as best as I can. Then I just have to live with it.
3. TEOTWAWKI - There is no such thing as enough ammo. Use it sparingly 'cuz there won't be no more, no how, no suh.

My own emergency stash of 10k rounds of .22LR seemed adequate with (usually) about 5k additional training rounds. I oopsed it and was drawn down when SHTF in December so I'm slowly rebuilding my training stock. Haven't touched my emergency stash and I won't unless a real emergency pops up....

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would agree that one cannot have too much ammo, but bear in mind it will not do much good if you have not stockpiled anything else. One also has to think about a source of clean water, food, emergency medical supplies ( I'm not talking about bandaids. We're talking about suture kits, the new compound that stops bleeding and antibiotics as examples. Go to the pet store for antibiotics or Petmeds on line.). Also, a handcrank radio with short wave capability. A couple of two way radio sets. Being able to hear from the outside world and communicate to others at short rrange may be critical. I could go on, but I'm not saying anything new, just framing the discussion.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I work on the assumption that I may never be able to re-supply.

Each centerfire rifle: 3000-5000 rounds

Each centerfire pistol: 2000 rounds

Each shotgun: 1000 rounds (defensive (#4 to 00)) + 1000 rounds (hunting)

Rimfire: 10,000 rounds (of quality rimfire) + 30,000 rounds (bulk pack)

You also need to ask yourself about the amount of each of these related items:

1. Spare parts kit(s) for each firearm

2. Magazines for each firearm

3. Quality load bearing gear for each firearm/combination (rifle/pistol)

4. Quality slings(s) for each rifle, holsters for each pistol

5. Armorers tool sets for each platform

6. Spare batteries for optics
'Dang bwraven, you're stocked!

How many mags would you say are "enough" for an M1A?

Best,
Grumpy

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
I differentiate between "Need" and "Want" or "Would like to have." My definition of need would be 1 case of 1000 rnds in cold storage to be broken into only in SHTF situation, per caliber for centerfire Rifles and pistols. I would say double that for your primary carry or defense weapon caliber.I would go 5000 rnds of .22 LR. I would probably limit myself to no more than 500 Rnds of shotgun shells due to thier bulk. Beyond these "Needs", I would pick up whatever I would use for practice and recreation to keep skills up.

Whenever I think about the possiblity of a bugout situation, I think anything much beyound these needs would be too much weight/Bulk and intrude into space needed for other essentials like food, water and shelter.

My 2c.

P.S. Besides these grab and go minimuns, I maintain enought reloading supply inventory to assemble twice my minimum "need" inventory level. Another thing to consider: 20 G Shotshells take up significantly less space than 12 G, and delivers at least 90% of the protection power of the 12. Also, ever shot a full power loading of 12 G with a pistol grip stock? Much less painfull with a 20 G.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I am soooo glad that I built-up my stores over the last 30 years (not just for firearms, mind you) and don't have to do it now. I feel bad for you young pups who are having to deal with the "new reality."

Grumpy and Harper, you guys do know about 44mag and Check-mate for current issue USGI magazines for the M-14, correct? I have made many a purchase of CMI M-14 mags over the years from both, and have been very happy. Of course, both are out of stock currently.
Hi Bwraven;

Yep, I bought most of my mags from 44mag and CMI directly; got a few from Midway and sportsman's guide. Any opinions on the thermold 20 rounders? I've got 5 of 'em but wasn't able to get to the range this weekend to try 'em out (I'm working at home - just taking a break to type this). They look serviceable enough, but butt-ugly plastic in the beautiful walnut M14 stock.

Funny thing is that 30 years ago I was really prepped for the worst - then family, unemployment, and a bunch of other things pretty much gutted everything. Only in the last 5 years have I been able to get back into the game. I do remember how much AWB 1.0 sucked, and hope I've got 'enough' but know that I probably am short somewhere. Big problem back then was that all my M16 mags for my alpha deuce were GI surplus and the damn' things got finicky after a few years' hard use. Hope the 16x PMags for my current AR carbine are better. Never had problems with Mini 14 mags, my guess is that the steel construction holds up better against minor feed lip deformation but that's just a WAG. Hoping the M14 Checkmates in my inventory will be similarly stout.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I've owned a handful over the years, and eventually tossed them all. Two wouldn't stay locked in, and the others had feedlips/feeding issues. I hope you have better luck with yours. I'm sure you will thoroughly test them.

I have run most of my CMI's through the mud and crud, and they keep on feeding. I don't think you'll have any issues there.

I've heard nothing but good about the PMag's my buddies abuse in their ARF's. Have not seen one fail yet.

As far as Mini-14 factory mags, I agree with your WAG. They are spendy, but they are built to last.
Thanks much bwraven;

Guess I'll keep the thermolds as range mags/trade goods and the next time checkmate or midway is open for business on M14 mags I'll pick up as many as I can afford.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
832 Posts
How much is enough?
That depends on Momma! She came home from work earlier than usual awhile back and I had the WHOLE stash out on the floor, trying to consolidate everything so I wouldn't have to buy another ammo locker. Let me tell you, I had my own little SHTF situation on my hands! She does NOT buy into any of this stuff. I have an extra cab ranger with all my bugout stuff behind the seat. She thinks that's crazy like those preppers on tv. What's a guy gonna do? To keep the peace I have to sneak everything in including a can of case lube or gun scrubber. I mean you can't leave the gun shop empty handed. I've got two shops to keep open near me.

fishslayerbob

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
there was a report here of a bait/tackle/hunting shop priceing bricks (500) of blazers at 100$$
I took the ccw course yesterday 2 of the women there (3 of the 12 person class were gals) had 22 revolvers. they both had little .22lr ammo, one of them I sold 2 boxes (50rd box) of blazer for 10$ she and hubby were glad to get it. she is in medical and hubby is a truck driver so they had the $$ to spare.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Theres a couple places around here price gouging bricks of .22 for the same prices. They go and buy out Wal Mart on top of their own shipments they receive. I have made it pretty clear that they won't ever get any more of my business ever again. Sad that quite of few are buying at those prices.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't know, but I try to pick up primers and powder from time to time. I have a good supply of lead (not bullets, lead) and a lifetime supply of brass. Since I shoot at home and catch the lead, I can recycle it as needed. At the moment, I have around 130 pounds of lead. I also have a supply of various commercial bullets, which become lead when they are caught in my sand traps. for me, it's keeping the reloading gear well maintained and the expendibles stockpiled. Never too much, seems about right.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
How much is enough?
That depends on Momma! She came home from work earlier than usual awhile back and I had the WHOLE stash out on the floor, trying to consolidate everything so I wouldn't have to buy another ammo locker. Let me tell you, I had my own little SHTF situation on my hands! She does NOT buy into any of this stuff. I have an extra cab ranger with all my bugout stuff behind the seat. She thinks that's crazy like those preppers on tv. What's a guy gonna do? To keep the peace I have to sneak everything in including a can of case lube or gun scrubber. I mean you can't leave the gun shop empty handed. I've got two shops to keep open near me.

fishslayerbob
LOL! You sound just like me!

Best save so far: "Hey honey, I bought a new gun case" (true, but there was a new rifle in the new case...). "Was it expensive?" "Nah, it was on sale" (got a discount since I bought the rifle).

In all seriousness, here's the best way I've found to get my better half to go along with stocking up. "Hon, I'm saving money by buying in bulk - I bought a whole bunch of ammo 'n stuff before dumb**** got re-elected knowing it would be more expensive afterwards so now I don't have to buy new guns for a while, and its not like I can even get ammo easily". Same argument works for things like toilet paper and bulk foods too.

All that is actually true and does help defuse things. No way on G*d's Green Earth I'm buying another AK or AR at these prices. And nowadays its all I can do to get dribs and drabs of ammo at the regular prices at Academy so a box here or there in the briefcase on the way home goes un-noticed.

Hope it helps - us gun guys gotta hang together!
All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just remember, stuff gets heavy fast.
If your going to bunker up and wait for the dust to settle O.K.
If you have to move fast, get smart and keep it light.
Hopefully no one found and raided the supplies you stockpiled in your fall back location.

·
Registered
266 Posts
How much is enough?

fishslayerbob
My greatest fear...that my wife, when I die, will sell my fishing gear and weapons for what I told her I paid for them.:huh:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.