Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting at a 9" pie plate from a rest, how far can you shoot and consistantly hit the plate? What revolver and loads are you using.:2guns:

·
Registered
102 Posts
The problem has become my eyesight. Ten years ago I would have said 100 yards with some guns and at least 50 with all of them. But now I cannot focus on the sights and the target at the same time. One or the other is blurry. From a rest with a nine inch target? I'd say 25 yards with most guns and 50 with the better ones.

I have a varied collection of revolvers. I load for all of them but 95% of the loads are fairly mild as this is the type of shooting I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back in the late 80's, I came in first place in A Class Revolver at the IHMSA California State Championship. I was shooting a Ruger Single-Six with a 9 ½" barrel from the "Creedmore" position (lying on my back with the barrel resting on my leg). The furthest targets were about 9" in diameter (steel plate rams) and were set at 100 yards. So, I would say that, at that time, I was pretty consistent with a revolver from a rest at 100 yards.

Now, not only would I have problems folding myself into the Creedmore Position, I would also be unable to see the front sight and the target at the same time. I am also way out of practice. Recently, though, I was shooting my wife's Taurus .357 revolver at some steel targets and I was hitting them with 4 out of 6 shots at about 50 yards from a standing position.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think that would vary from person to person,what kind of revolver,are you using your own revolver.And are we shooting single action or double action only. I also would like to add that I am fairly familiar with MR. Saxonpig and I have found him to be very knowledgeable could not have got a better Moderator.

Best wishes Mr. SAXON

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, thank you. You do realize that there is no shortage of folks ready to tell you that I have no idea what I'm talking about, right?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Didn't know that was a requirement. If we all agreed there wouldn't be much need in a forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
More than once, I have put 110 grain .357's in the bovine ocular area of target at 25 yards on an outdoor range with a 2.175" Smith and Wesson Model 60.

My accuracy indoors is not as good. I hate shooting in an enclosed area with all the powder burning and the constant unexpected sonic BOOMS. :confused:

·
Registered
215 Posts
About halfway up a "mountain" on my ranch in the desert we have a prominent rock a little larger than a 2 drawer file cabinet. From our normal shooting positions we measured with a Bushnell 800 yard laser rangefinder. That day it was 445 yards.

We never shoot from the Same Exact spot twice so you could say sometimes it's further, sometimes closer. But usually after 3 or 4 rounds to bracket it and dope the wind, we can hit the rock with amazing regularity with our 44s. And, of course, once its dialed in, it doesn't matter whether you're shooting a 3"barrel or an 8" barrel. Also, its always funny to see the bullet splash and then way the heck later hear a good solid "thwack".

With my SASS load, regardless of the gun, I generally hold the entire blade up over the target and try to just cover the top edge of the rock with the curvature of the muzzle...... great fun. My buddy Hank, can hit 5 out of 6 once he gets it dialed in!

·
Registered
88 Posts
barrel length, the load, the gun, the trigger pull, etc. Are you talking just plinking, with a K22? all shots, betting my life, a .38 snub, or what? With a junk Charter Arms or rossi 38 snub, I wouldn't bet my life on 5 out of 5, standing unsupported, with just one hand, beyond 5 yds, and that's with good ammo and a gun that I'd checked out. carefully. :) with an 8" barreled 22, of a superb make, like Casull's, with match ammo, scope, sitting braced, and let me miss occasionally? 100 yds, no problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
about 100 yards at 110 maybe about 80% using a rest of course. 44 SW 629 8" 240 JHP federal eagle ammo. Only about 10-12 round though. after that the pounding starts to throw me off. I think I could do it at 160-170 yards with a contender in .223 iron sight if I had one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts