·
Registered
34,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
AIM has them:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html

Is there any difference other than the bayonet lug and threaded barrel? Are the receivers qualitatively better? I take it these will have the usual grinded out magwells? Any info anyone has about this particular type would be of interest. Thanks.
I think the regular WASR 10's could only take the 10 rd single stack mags. The 10/63's have had their magwells opened up.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Might that be where the "10" in WASR 10 came from... the ability to only accept 10 round single stack mags?

sounds good to me... lol

:lol:

·
Registered
34,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to post photos of one soon. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet. The worst thing to happen to the finish is the scratches made by whomever did some of the markings. Sight might have the slightest cant, but unless it affects point of aim, and I've read it often won't, it won't be noticeable. All in all it just looks like a somewhat ratty AKM.

Now, to magazine wobble. Some magazines fit better than others, but they're solidly in place. What I find really interesting is it looks like Century or someone may have added some metal pieces inside the magazine well to substitute for the function of the dimples. I'll post a photo of them once I get a chance. There isn't much wobble at all using a standard Hungarian magazine.

·
Registered
34,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trunion on mine has "1965" stamped on it. I think the "63" in WASR 10/63 refers to the 1963 series, rather than the 1975 series, which is apparently what the "G" series are. I'll post a couple photos in the gallery once I get my camera back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a WASR 10 and it takes nearly any mag you click in. Mine are all 30 round. Just ordered 5 more Hungarian mags used good condition for 44.95.

It is ugly, it is relatively cheap, it has fair accuracy, and it shoots anything and everything without a hitch.

Got to say, it is a pretty good value IMHO. Paid $400 even-two mags, bayonette, cleaning kit, sling, 4 mag pouch, oil can, NIB.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think that is the kicker on doing it yourself....by the time you buy all the parts you are probably only saving about 30 bucks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thats what i thought. I have been looking at getting an AK and since the saiga I had would blow your ear drums out, I think i may get one in 5.45x39. How much difference is there in accuracy between the 1mm stamped recievers and the thicker ones like the yugos and bulgarians have?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Thats what i thought. I have been looking at getting an AK and since the saiga I had would blow your ear drums out, I think i may get one in 5.45x39. How much difference is there in accuracy between the 1mm stamped recievers and the thicker ones like the yugos and bulgarians have?
Little to none.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Really? I thought the nicer ones (bulgarian, arsenal inc, krebs) were a lot more accurate, meaning 2 inch moa compared to 4.

·
Registered
34,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
deersniper6

The Yugo M70's have the thicker receiver and are often said to be more accurate than most AKMs, generally. Being Century builds, even better than average Century builds as they are, there is an element of rolling the dice when buying one. However that is true of most of the AKM builds currently widely available. The Yugo's are harder to find than they were a year ago, when AIM had them, but they can be found. Some actually find the underfolders more comfortable to shoot because the wood on the fixed stock version is too high or something and makes getting a decent cheek weld impossible for them. Or so I've read. That's really the only caveat I'm aware of with these; most give them very good reviews. I mention this type because you asked about accuracy.

(still needing to get my digital camera back)

·
Registered
11 Posts
the wasr 10/63 is a better quality wasr.

"Revised front trunnion to 'current' milspec. Like the SAR was. The WaSR front trunnion is specific for the single stack and isn't as 'strong' (the '63' gives more support to the bolt carrier), but they aren't full auto either-thats when it counts. More surplus parts on them too, you will find filled/restamped numbers on them sometimes. And it 'should' have the forward grip on it too...Pistol Mitralieră 63...almost an exact Russian AKM copy (which started in 1963) "

·
Registered
661 Posts
How hard is it to convert a single stack ak to regular ak?
Some people report just opening up the magwell to accept dbl stack mags and all is well. I'll tell you this I tried it on a single stack AK but it didn't work because the trunion on mine was single stack specific. Thank God I'm a "Tin smith" and welder, I had to repair my shooter that was given to me as a present from my mom. I reblued the area and I have to say after my repair the single stack mags fit better now.

Don't do anything till ya find out what trunion you have! (unless your a tin smith or welder:D) .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts