Perfect Union banner

How do you get "Shiney Stainless"?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Oldjad01 
#1 ·
I like blued best, but how do you give a stainless revolver a shinier finish? Can you do it with out power tools?

#3 ·
You may be very experienced with a Dremel.But my wife got me one for Christmas with all the goodies in a nice big plastic carry case.Everyone else it seemed bought me accessory's which I already had but Im a pack rat any way.My first Polish attempt was a piece of my wifes silver ware.I used the polish compound and the recommended tools.Needless to say I made a mess,it looked worse where I polished than it did else where.I still lack on the polishing part,but Im getting better.I could use some advice on Polishing??And would appreciate it.But Ive found the Dremeel to be the best tool to have for the gun owner.I ground out a small notch on my two Romanian SAR-1 AK's and I can now use the flip up safety to hold the Bolt open.BTW thanks for any info anyone can provide on polishing with a Dremel?

Best!!:usa:

#4 ·
I polished my stainless Ruger Redhawk until it was getting close to looking like an ultimate Python. By hand with Flitz and Simichrome and a rag. Took the better part of a year while watching television. With Dremels you got to put the speed on real slow so you dont heat up the metal. Even felt wheels will heat up the metal. Lots of hours.

#6 ·
Originally posted by dchi@Jun 17 2003, 11:53 AM
Don't use a dremel. It will make your gun very shinney but leave streak marks. Use a bight felt wheel for an even finish.

Hey Rugster,use your dremel to polish the small rectangle underside of the AK47 bolt(where it skims across the top of the other shells in the mag).Also polish the hammer face of your AK47,doing these two areas will make it cycle ALOT smoother!!!
YES!!! Dremel is for SMALL place polishing,not large scale,like a whole gun!! I did a brand new mini-14 stainless which was very dull,with a hard,sponge looking 4" wheel that a freind lent me. He said he got it at a body supply shop for polishing stainless wheels and trim. It really worked nice,then finished with the felt wheel.

#7 ·
Don't use a dremel. It will make your gun very shinney but leave streak marks. Use a bight felt wheel for an even finish.

Hey Rugster,use your dremel to polish the small rectangle underside of the AK47 bolt(where it skims across the top of the other shells in the mag).Also polish the hammer face of your AK47,doing these two areas will make it cycle ALOT smoother!!!
YES!!! Dremel is for SMALL place polishing,not large scale,like a whole gun!! I did a brand new mini-14 stainless which was very dull,with a hard,sponge looking 4" wheel that a freind lent me. He said he got it at a body supply shop for polishing stainless wheels and trim. It really worked nice,then finished with the felt wheel.

#8 ·

#10 ·
I have prepped guns for bluing without a wheel and they were very shiney. I used progressively finer grits of emory paper starting with about 400 going to 1000. 'I shoe shined' the round areas like barrel, etc and used a piece of window glass on the bench with the emory cloth on it and moved the flat parts on the emory. I prepared the parts for this stage with a fine file to remove knicks before polishing. I didn't round off any flats or eliminate any of the lettering like it so often done by someone in a hurry on the wheel. Try it on an area under the grips, see how it works for you. Wish I had a digital camera........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.