Perfect Union banner

How accurate is a stock ruger 10/22?

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  cajungeo 
#1 ·
I just got my ruger 10/22 shooting right and I have just got to sighting it in . I cant get much better than 2 inch groups with a factory stainless barell and a target hammer. I have been shooting at 50 yards with all types of ammo and I got a best group of 2 inches any suggestions to help tighten groups without puting too much money into my gun?:rapid:

#5 ·
Hey mallardsx2, You might try leaving the barrel band off, free float the barrel, bed the stock, and try some Kmart dynapoints $12 a brick (they are really Winchester Super X Hollowpoints).

I bedded mine with the Acraglass Gell Kit(Green box).

Then you may want to fine tune it with a pressure pad, or tuner. My best 5 shot group at 50 yds is .345" with my Greenmountain barrel, and the Kmart dynapoints.

Course I don't know how you shoot. I shoot off a benchrest at the range with a scope, and off hand when hunting. The groups are a lot bigger in the hunting mode.

#6 ·
I have a stainless 10/22 with the Black Synthetic stock with no mods. I have a Simmons 3x9x40 scope with Weaver see through mounts. I shoot plain old Winchester Wildcats and I get about 2" groups @ 50 yards. If I shoot CCI Green Tags (match ammo) it goes down to about 1.5" @ 50 yards. I use this rifle for hunting and mainly shoot CCI Stingers. I have another 22LR that is a tack driver with the CCI Green Tags and it is a plain ole Marlin 60. I will try to post a pic of both to the gallery. This is my first post on this forum and I have gained a lot of info and everyone seems eager to help each other. Keep up the good work.

:sniper:

#7 ·
My ruger is a stainless sporter (no barell band) I shoot off of a harris bipod and sand bags I have used 4 types of amo and nothign will group under 2 1/2 inches inches at 50 yards. I put a target hammer and lightened the trigger pull dramatically but this still didnt help I have a very steady hold but I just cant get it to shoot. I am unfamiliar with bedding a gun how is this done? Can someone mabye send me directions on how to do this?
Thanks!

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum frdsrul. Here is a thread, with some good pictures of a bedding job, by TheGermanGun. This was his first, and he did a pretty good job. If you use the dye that comes with the Acurglass kit, it blends in with the stock color.

Before you bed your stock, you will want to free float your barrel, to relieve any stress acting on it.

This is something you really want to do your homework on, and rehearse what your doing, before you do it so you will have all the little, "OH I forgot one of those" things, and time as you have 20 min, which is way plenty, if you don't have to run off somewhere looking for something. Check out: http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/showthr...ng&pagenumber=1

Also this link: http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/1022bedding.html
Also use the search button, upper right, and enter bedding or free float barrel. Several posts will come up.

#9 ·
Hey Mallardsx2, I bought a synthetic stock, blued model. The cheapest one on the shelf. Took it dog hunting. Sighting it in at about 45 yards it shot an inch group. I about fell over cause I didn't expect that from an out of the box 10/22. Past experience with them has been 2" or there about. It was iffy to hit a blackbird at 30 yards.

#10 ·
I'm getting around 2" with mine @ 50 yds with upgrade iron sights and most any ammo. My BIL's will do 1" but his is scoped.

#14 ·
I got my 10/22 a long time ago when i was little and never really shot for group. I'd guess it could get about 1.5 inches though. Now after a few hundred thousand rounds its getting about 3'' at 25 yards :eek: I'm shure if i recrowned it this would help but i got a GM Bull barrel instead so i dont have to wory about that anymore :lol: If you want more accuracy but dont want a bull barrel check out the Green Mountain contour barrel. Beta_MO has that on his 10/22 and gets some pretty fine groups. -Carnifex

#15 ·
When I get my 3rd 10/22. I will do some accuacy improvements in the std configuration to see what I can cook up. I would start with free floating the barrel, stock bedding, trigger job, and pitching the barrel band for starters. Course I like to do a before, and after each mod to see how much improvement each mod brings. :D

#16 ·
Hi Im new to the board. When my 10/22 was stock I had no problem hitting shotgun shells at 100 yards with a 2.5-10X tasco varmet scope. I recentley got a Hogue stock, VC extractor (you need one), and a Butler creek Carbon Barrell. Now I can hit asprin and SG primers at the 100 mark off a bipod. I was about to throw my ruger to the dogs because it kept having jamming probs. I cleaned the hell out of it, took apart the magizine and cleaned it also. Then I saw a article on the jamming 10/22's on another board and they reccomended the VC exact edge extractor and what a difference. The only jam I had was the mags fault because I shot so many times that it got gummed up. WD-40 fixed that. I love my ruger and would not part from it. :sniper:

#18 ·
Do you have a event of somesort? How does it work. I need to practice on the target. I am much better at hitting odd objects than targets. I get board of hitting paper and go for things I pick up during the "range cold" like bullets and sg shells. What target do you use. and where is the competation held. I am in Florida.

#19 ·
Just a second there half minute! (I crack myself up :D)

When you pull up the "10/22 Talk" you'll find a "Target Shooting Contest" section at the very top. It'll have the rules and the target for you. You just take the target to whatever range you usually go to, shoot your groups, take the target home, scan it and make your entry. Pretty simple. If it wasn't for the shooting part... :D

TheGermanGuy :sniper:

#20 ·
Originally posted by halfMOA@Aug 30 2003, 08:43 PM
Do you have a event of somesort? How does it work. I need to practice on the target. I am much better at hitting odd objects than targets. I get board of hitting paper and go for things I pick up during the "range cold" like bullets and sg shells. What target do you use. and where is the competation held. I am in Florida.
halfMOA. Just pretend the target is an "odd object". The contest is in the Shooting contest section. http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.p...hp?showforum=71

It is an on line contest, with the free oficial target provided. Yes there is a difference in shooting a target, and odd things (plinking). The target will show the real picture of the shooters/rifle's accuracy. Both are fun in different ways.

#21 ·
humm I dont know how I missed that It is one of the first things on the page......Guess Im looking too hard??? is that a bug on the screen......Ok it sounds pretty cool, But shouldn't you need a witness initials on the target(for those who may cheat) or is this a trust thing.

#23 ·
halfMOA. These contest are on the honor system. It is based on each shooters own integrity. I can check group sizes by using proportion ratios. If I catch someone cheating he will be banned from competition. Its a great bunch we have here, I don't think we will have that problem. This is for fun anyways, not for money or prizes. It is to make each shooter better, by learning. I've been shooting longer than many have been alive. I'm still learning, and improving. Hope you enter the contest. I learned a lot today at the range. Tomorrow I will be a better shooter than I was today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.