Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a source of the FMJ (lead & copper, not "penetrator" steel core) 62gr bullets and was considering getting some for a "run & gun" match that I participate in with my SS Ranch 582 with a 1:9 twist. Anybody else shoot these in their Mini-14 Ranch or Tactical rifles? If you reload, what powder do they like.
I have a decent 1.5MOA load with the 53gr Sierra match King and 2MOA with the Nosler 55gr SP. I am unable to find a source or resupply so am looking for a replacement if needed.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have the 62 gn SS109's that I bought from Widener's about 5 years ago (don't remember what the core was made up of) & they did not group well from my SS mini 581.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The 1:9 twist should stabilize the 62 gr bullets properly, but of course the intrinsic accuracy of that particular bullet and whether your gun "likes" it are difficult to predict.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Former member COSteve got great results using the hornady 62 gr fmj bullet. You might want to scroll through his past threads. Sorry, i don't know how to post links.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
If you get the right powder and bullet combination probably as good as your 55 grain loads. A 1/9 twist is well within accuracy parameters of a 62 grain bullet..
kwg

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
40Nascar,
I did a search and COOSteve has about umpteen million posts and couldn't find any subjects that I felt pertained.
kwg,
The 55 fmjs are about a 3.5MOA load even with hornady bullets. I've used other makes and they are worse. I actually had decent luck with the 65 gr Sierra GKs but I didn't want to shoot up a premium bullet at steel. I guess now every bullet is at a premium. Oh well.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
I would say, if you can experiment with the hornady 62 gr. fmj's ( if you can locate any) you should give them a try. Member imarangemaster has also done alot of experimentation with handloads for mini 14's ( and 30's). I bet he would respond if you PM him. He's a good guy, that i have met in person.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
The 60 grain V-Max and 62 grain Hornady FMJ was about all I used when I still had a Mini-14 and and AR, both had a 1-9" twist.
About the only load that was more accurate than the 60-62 grain was a 50 grain Sierra Blitz.

Hornady FMJ's, unlike most other FMJ bullets, are held to a higher standard of manufacturing and consistency.

·
Banned
2,862 Posts
I have friends that have used the Hornady 62 grn. FMJ, with excellent results. They used load data for a Sierra 63 grn soft nose bullet, with no pressure signs. IIRC, best results were with CFE223, ARCOMP, and [email protected], w/ rem 7 1/2 primers. Seat and crimp in cannelure, or magazine length.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2rangers,
I may just get some but I have none of the powders mentioned. I use H335, W748, H4895 and if needed Benchmark. I only have a pound or two of the last two. IIRC the 63 gr SMP shoots well too.

Reactions: 2rangers

·
Registered
171 Posts
2rangers,
I may just get some but I have none of the powders mentioned. I use H335, W748, H4895 and if needed Benchmark. I only have a pound or two of the last two. IIRC the 63 gr SMP shoots well too.
Edited:
Hellgate, IIRC, Win. 748 and BLC2 are really close to the same powder so you have a start there.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just ordered 500 62gr lead core FMJBT bullets for $80 from NEreloading.com
They also have 55 FMJ and 62gr steel core FMJ

Reactions: 2rangers

·
Formerly "raf"
3,284 Posts
I did a lot of research on buying my 20" barrel for my latest AR upper. Bought a high-quality 1-8" twist 20" barrel as a likely compromise with M-193 and M-855 bullets, using Mil-spec ammo.

I already have a 20" Colt 1-7" ROT HBAR, and a practically unused Colt GI 1-12 ROT 20" "Pencil-Barrel" upper.

Not done any exhaustive tests. My >>guess<< is that any accuracy difference will be seen at longer ranges than the 200 yds with which I am limited.

The Colt 1-7" ROT being demonstrated being very accurate at 200 yds, during a very rapid-fire event, that is. Probably M-193 ammo. Timed event; fire as many rds as possible. One of the other shooters at same event joked that he "hated" me, when we walked out to the targets, and saw the groups.

FWIW, used a scoped, Pencil-barreled Mini another time, and won the event. That sure ticked-off some AR users!

FWIW, before the "rapid-fire" event, and before going to an Appleseed; which I highly recommend, I dry-fired the "rapid-fire" event many times, and practiced for the Appleseed for many weeks, sometimes shooting in the snow and freezing rain. No Hero, no Genius, but the prep paid off. Got my "Patch".

Practice makes perfect If I can do it, so can you.

·
Banned
2,862 Posts
Dry fire practice is awesome!
And Appleseed is one of the absolute best training courses for basic rifle marksmanship there is, I think.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,284 Posts
Dry fire practice is awesome!
And Appleseed is one of the absolute best training courses for basic rifle marksmanship there is, I think.
With ammo prices what they are, some well-planned dry firing might be in order for many of us.

I think you described the Appleseed very well. It's surprising how much even "experienced" shooters can learn, or unlearn, as the case may be.

·
Banned
2,862 Posts
The history lesson is worth the price of the course, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
40Nascar,
I did a search and COOSteve has about umpteen million posts and couldn't find any subjects that I felt pertained.
kwg,
The 55 fmjs are about a 3.5MOA load even with hornady bullets. I've used other makes and they are worse. I actually had decent luck with the 65 gr Sierra GKs but I didn't want to shoot up a premium bullet at steel. I guess now every bullet is at a premium. Oh well.
CO Steve claimed he was getting 1.5" at 100 yards with the 62 grain bullets. Unfortunately I don't recall his powder load. I find similar accuracy with 63 grain Sierra SMP's with 25.4 grains of AA2460 and Federal Match primers. I have personally found that 55 grain hornady soft points will get me under 2" with 25 grains of H335. This is better than the Hornady 55 grain FMJ's.

I have tried to cheat the powder Gods by going down in the loads to save some powder but all I have done is lose accuracy. I have been pulling apart some loads to reclaim some powder and bullets and I'm reloading with some old standby loads with more powder that have proven to be accurate in the passed. The powder Gods are not happy when I try to wean them from their powder hungry ways.

The biggest issue with the Mini 14's are finding that right load. It is not as forgiving as the AR's. I have some AR's that are accurate with rocks loaded with firecrackers. Or something similar while the Mini's have to be tuned to the right load to get similar results.

Right now finding anything to shoot is the biggest issue. I would settle for 3.5" at 100 just to have something to shoot.

kwg

·
Registered
494 Posts

I would not recommend SS109/M855 projectiles for reloading, especially not pulled bullets. You might notice in the above illustration the steel penetrator cores are not all that consistent in size or position inside the bullet, and I doubt pulling them from loaded ammo enhanced their consistency.
I think the 62 grain solid core should do a better job in the accuracy department.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,284 Posts

I would not recommend SS109/M855 projectiles for reloading, especially not pulled bullets. You might notice in the above illustration the steel penetrator cores are not all that consistent in size or position inside the bullet, and I doubt pulling them from loaded ammo enhanced their consistency.
I think the 62 grain solid core should do a better job in the accuracy department.
Assuming the lead core fills the bullet casing more uniformly than does the steel, you should be correct. I think this is the general assumption.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts