Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7.63X39'ers are people too. Can you folks put a subject grouping together for us?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The fasination with the mini 14 has always been , well , lets just say......interesting. For the money, it really rates down the scale for anything. Marginal accuarcy, high dollar magazines and no parts for ealier models. A dream built around the M14 in a mouse round, that never got the interest of the military and had to be given to Police departments. Now enter the Mini30, since neither rifle is a real preformer in the real since......this is why the 30 excells. A perfect 100 yard rifle with some real punch. The true meaning of a lightweight carbine. LTS

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes, I hear ya brother. I too have a Mini-Thirty. But the guns are SO similar and there are proportionately much fewer Mini-Thirtys than Mini-14s, it probably wouldn't be as fruitful as you may think. Almost all of the advice/questions you see regarding Mini-14s is also applicable to the Mini-Thirty.

Hi-Cap Mags are a different story...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks LTS,
Your slick salesmanship makes me want to give the mini-30 a proper workout: "The true meaning of a lightweight carbine".

Is that what the Ruskies had in mind? They prob'ly cared more about punch and cheap. Since their cheap AK's are illegal in my homeland, you've got me wanting a mini-30.

After all, the cartridge is a world choice.

Punch and Piece inherit the earth from Meek and Preach.

KC ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought a mini-30 ranch stainless, but it's hard to find info on the thing. I like it. If anyone cares (or reads this area of the forum):

With a cheap tasco scope and hogue stock (no bedding), I averaged 5 shot groups of 4 inches at 100 yards.

I own a bullpup stock, but took it off 2 days after putting it on.

My first (and so far only) hi cap magazine wouldn't even allow the bullets to clear the mag's own lip.

I sent the mini into Accuracy Systems International for "the works". It will be about 3 months before I have it back.

Any suggestions for the mini-30? I like everything except the accuracy (soon to be corrected... hopefully).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scotty -

I too am thinking about sending my 30 out for accurizing when the original barell starts to go. I am very interested to hear your report when you get yours back. How much did you pay? I put on a Leuoplold Vari-III scope ($300) and I've practiced to the point where I can vaporize wine bottles at 300yds (in a fairly stiff cross-wind too) just about every shot (I also got the Harris bi-pod which helps the accuracy alot) My problem is I'm turing into an accuracy-nut and I have the wrong gun for it - oh well. If your barrel job is within the realm of reason..price wise... and can get me a hundred extra yards with the same accuracy. I might go for it. Then again I could probably spend the same as I spent for the scope and the barrel job on a Rem 700, but they don't look as cool. And also, if I can manage to survive the first five shots, advance a hundred or so yards and survive the next five - that guy with the long barrel is going to get 20 rounds in very short succession, and then 20 more right after. I'll take those odds. Anyone else who took the plunge and got the "works" as scotty calls it - please chime in. And in response to your other questions - yes, bullpup stock suck, mine's guarding the closet, the best mag that'll work in the clutch is the USA 10 round bannana (I think anyway). Tape two together and your in business. I just got an Eagle QD scope mount and a BSA 4x10 redot sight. I'm gonna try it out this weekend for quick draw practice in the 50 to 150 yd range. It's side mtd so it lets you use the stock sights too. rockin!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
SP, It sounds great but 300 meters is about the limit of the 7.62x39 round your not going to get much more range out of it.
The Soviets designed it for close range high volume fire power.
I hope I can manage 300 yard shots some day.
Do you use any Russian ammo?
I have a Mini-30 with a muzzle brake and scope not much more yet. I put the Hogue stock on the 14. The wood stock had better cheek placement with the scope.

Good shooting.
TC:cannon:

·
Registered
34 Posts
It'll be a couple months before I get my Mini-30 back. I was folowing Bill Watson"s story (he sent his mini-14 in). It's under Mini14 talk->accurizing mini-14-> barrel length advice. He has just got his mini-14 back from ASI and will post when he does his first range session.

I have seen some scope mounts which are mounted higher so you can use the iron sights too (kinda like on Wilson Combat's Tactical). But I will probably get Leopold's Vari-X III 1.5-5x20mm with illmuminated reticle.

This "http://www.nucleus.com/~cronhelm/thumper.html" is a web page about using a 7.62 bolt gun (16" barrel) for hunting coyotes. He got clean kills at 250 yards... bullets opened up and went through with decent exit wounds (quarter and larger sizes).

I heard that some of the foreign ammo usses large rifle primers, giving the slug 100 extra fps (helping for long range shots). Only, I am weary about foreign ammo, and I think that they use .311 slugs, unlike the US's .308 for their 7.62x39.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tankcommander-

Although the typical 7.62x39 gun might not be that accurate at 300 yards (and bad trajectory), the energy of the bullet at 300-350 yards is still about the same strength as a .357Magnum at the muzzle. Meaning that it is still VERY effective at that range.

Since the slug is only slightly smaller than the .357, it should have good results if it hits the target.

So many people put their bets on Kinetic Energy for power: (1/2 x mass x velocity squared), meaning that faster bullets have a huge advantage because of the velocity squared figure.

I'm a larger caliber fan, and prefer the momentum equation: (mass x velocity). Using this figure, the 7.62x39 has more momentum at any range than the 5.56mm. (Although I KNOW THE 5.56mm is an excellent cartidge!!!)

Similarly, I love my .45acp (Heckler & Koch USP Expert), and save the 9mm for my pocket pistol (Kahr k9).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
300 yards is possible - I'm not B.S'ing here, but remember, it's wine bottles not critters that are being taken down. I'm not sure what the velocity of hte round is out that for but if it ever bounces off a bottle of Fetzer, I'll know it;s not good. I use the PMC (Precision Maufactured Cartridges) for the longer shots. They are all brass cased, I think a 123 or 124 gr too. They definitely fly truer than the Wolf et al., but they're also like $10 for a bx/20. ouch. I may however be guily of a little stretch of the truth on the part that read "every shot" at 300 it's more like one in three.....but the hold-off is pretty predictable if you can see where your last round hit and make the adjustment. damn the recoil......Scotty - go with the Leupold, it's worth the $$$.
So I guess 400 yards is but a dream........

·
Registered
419 Posts
300 yards should be easy with a good shooting gun and decent ammo. With the gun zeroed at 200 yards the round will drop 14 inches at 300, not too bad. From 300 on it gets bad, 30 inch drop from 300 to 400, 93 inches at 500.
USA 15 and 20 round mags work good, as do 28 round Thermolds.
I might try the match barrel thing if it wasn't so heavy. I like my gun light, especially the barrel. :) The cost is a little scary too. :eek:
I've got a 2x Aimpoint on mine, pretty fair setup.
Ruger replaced the gasblock on mine and since then, it has shot bad. I sent it back to them and hope they can resolve the issue.
Will try muzzlebrake and gas bushings later.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I love the Mini-30, I can buy 500 rds of wolf ammo for less than $80.00 bucks. You can plink all day,I take both of my Mini-30s when I go so I can let te barrel cool down on one while plinking with the other one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On your suggestion I went to get a Leupold scope. Unfortunately, the V-III was a little out of my price range, because I was buying some trick stuff for my second 10/22 (I need to shoot something scoped until my mini-30 comes back).

I ended up with a VX-II. It seemed to have noticably better clarity than the V-II, and it cost me $150 less than the V-III.

Did I do alright?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Read your comments on the new mini's and hi cap mags. I posted a few replies to it. The short version of my replies was: the hi cap mini-30 mags would not fit in my factory stock (new), but worked in my aftermarket stocks (also new).

I think that you maybe right. Don't let the trash talkers bully you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds like a deal dude. now you can get out there and keep the ************* at a serious distance. I shoot down on the border (Mexico) where recently you may have heard the Federales have been taking pot shots at our Border boys. With my Leupold zeroed true, I'm confident that if any of those toy gun toting Mexicans come over the line, I can at least keep their heads down with their cheap plastic m16 knock offs. Have fun with it man, when you get your gun back you'll be a regular Carlos Hathcok with a mini!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Originally posted by Scotty@Jun 13 2002, 11:46 PM
I heard that some of the foreign ammo usses large rifle primers, giving the slug 100 extra fps (helping for long range shots). Only, I am weary about foreign ammo, and I think that they use .311 slugs, unlike the US's .308 for their 7.62x39.
I've heard from several people that you should stay FAR FAR away from shooting Wolf or other foreign ammo in the Mini-30. Same comment earlier about them using a .311 bullet instead of the .308 used by US mfgs. I've also heard that many people still choose to shoot the cheap stuff, but I wonder if that has alot to do with "accuracy" complaints, and barrel wear issues.

On hi-cap mags, I heard that USA mags can't be beat for fit and function.

Anyone care to weigh in?

:sniper:

Kevin
"Gun control means hitting what you aim at."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts