Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I ended up using an ASI .050" bushing in my 583 series with 52-55 gr bullet handloads, as the .045" wasn't quite 100%. I use Hodgdon Benchmark powder and max loads, as those are the most accurate and reliable in my Mini.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,034 Posts
Almost all my reloads are of carefully-made Milsurp-equivalent ctgs. These M193 and M855 replica ctgs are considered a bit on the "hot" side, compared to most civvy ammo, but still well within the capabilities of the Mini.

They being carefully-made handloads, my ctgs are far more accurate than GI Milsurp.

Broadly speaking, it's mostly about obtaining high-quality bullets, meticulous case prep, and dropping very accurate powder charges. It's possible to do the latter stuff on a well-set-up progressive press, but the case prep takes some time and effort.

I did reduce the size of my Mini's gas port from outrageous OEM gas port ID. IIRC, probably the .040 ID unit. I bought the whole kit, so I could have options.

The only way to ensure your Mini will function properly with a reduced size gas port is to test the Cold rifle, with Cold ammo on a Cold winter's day. Everything as Cold as possible!

When in doubt, go larger gas port. Some Minis used to come with gas ports identical with those used in Mini-30s, and so wildly over-gassed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ended up using an ASI .050" bushing in my 583 series with 52-55 gr bullet handloads, as the .045" wasn't quite 100%. I use Hodgdon Benchmark powder and max loads, as those are the most accurate and reliable in my Mini.
interesting info, I have a .45 bushing in my mini right now, I have yet to try to see how it will function. I probably should have gone with .50 as I mostly shoot steel due to joe shmoe in office. But never hurts to try first I suppose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An .050 gas bushing is greatly reduced in gas volume/prressure from the OEM gas bushing, and is a good place to start.
Thanks to all that posted. Looks like so far everyone that's replied is going with the.050. It's been trouble free for me too but throws the brass too far for a range with other shooters on the right within 15 feet. I'll be trying the .045 next with different loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts