Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new hooded aperature sight showed up on the doorstep yesterday. I got the chance to install it last night. It replaces the adjustable rear aperature on the standard Mini. At first I was taken back at the molded plastic.:( I mean they're supposed to be IRON sights. However the plastic looks durable and is well protected by the body of the sight. But the great thing is that it's a little bit snugger than the original metal so it soaks up alot of the slack inherent in the original. Alot less of that jiggley thing hapening. ;) The hole is also a bit smaller which I think will be a good thing for my sight picture. ;) Looks like a good weekend, I'll let you all know how it works at the range.:ar15:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I've heard of hooded front sights, but didn't know they had rear ones also. I'm so far sighted, and the mini rear sight is to close, its sooo blurry, I do better with the notch in the shroud. My 10/22 I can see ok as it is way further forward. Thats why I had to go to a scope on my mini. Too bad they don't make glass you can see close and far on the same plain.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The correct sight picture is blurry rear aperature, focused front sight, and blurry target. Thats the only way that the human eye can function. You cannot focus on more that one thing in the same focal plane, at the same time, unless your using optics.

Hooded rear sight aperatures have long been common in the service rifle arena of High Power Rifle competition. They assist the eye by blocking the ambient light coming in from the sides and above the shooter, creating a "cleaner" circle on the rear peep sight.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, I got it off Ebay about $20 the guy was a pleasure to deal with. He also has other Mini parts for sale. Also said he had an AC556 trigger group for sale (drool, drool) He currently has 2 up for bid. Here's the link to one of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1811661460

Could'nt get out this weekend, so I don't know for sure how well it works, but it does not rattle.

Let me know how it works for you.

P.S. No affiliation to the seller.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks goodorbit,
So does this replace the whole rear factory sight assembly or just the peep/blade part of it (not exactly sure what to call it). I have a Millet peep on my mini and I was just curious about this sight, my Millet sight seems kind of unprotected. I would like to find a rugged battle type sight, like Ausman is looking for... without all the wobble and plastic of the factory original. However I dont think there is one out there! Anyways, thanks again.
-Grinch

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No this just replaces the factory bent metal peep portion of the rear sight. I think those millets looked just "clamped " on. Does it hols a sighting in well? After recieving this one I had a thought about bending or crimping the factory metal to make it a little fatter. It is hard to pick up that it is not original to ths casual observer.

Has else seen these around?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Despite the Millet peep being kind of unprotected, it actually seems very sturdy. No plastic parts and it doesn't wobble like the factory peep, it fits very well where the factory sight assembly used to be. So hopefully it should hold on zero just fine, I'll post back after I do some more shooting. I looked at a Springfield M1A at the gun store the other day, damn I wish I could have a peep like that on my mini ! Thanks again.
-Grinch

·
Registered
287 Posts
Someone on another post indicated that the M1 Carbine rear sight will fit into the rear sight dovetail of the Ranch Rifle with a little minor filing and fitting of the sight. If this is indeed the case, this might provide a really viable option of having a sturdy rear sight that is windage and elevation adjustable without the use of tools. I might troll the next gunshow for a Ranch Rifle beater to try this on. If anyone else has installed this setup on their rifle, please give me the "lowdown" on how it is working....Thanks!:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts