Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at BassPro Shops today and saw that they had (2) metal 30-round ProMag magazines. I went ahead and purchased them, since magazines for the Mini are currently very hard to find. What are your experiences and opinions on the ProMag 30-round magazines ??? Thanks for sharing. God Bless :)

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I was at BassPro Shops today and saw that they had (2) 30-round ProMag magazines. I went ahead and purchased them, since magazines for the Mini are currently very hard to find. What are your experiences and opinions on the ProMag 30-round magazines ??? Thanks for sharing. God Bless :)
I have 14 of the things and have never had a jam. However, good luck fitting all 30 in if you're planning on leaving a live mag in your piece with a cleared chamber. Back off to 28 or so and it should be okay though it will leave a dent on the shoulder of the cartridge brass. Never been a problem over here firing 'em that way and the brass is fireformed back to the right shape on use. FWIW I had a set of 7 honest-to-G*d Ruger factory 30's back in the early 80's and they all did exactly the same thing.

Check to see if they reliably lock open the action on an empty. If they don't its no biggie, you can reshape the follower so that it "sticks up" higher when its all the way up. Don't have a picture but there's a high spot on the follower that hits one feed lip and keeps the arm on the follower from engaging the bolt holdopen.

Good find on the mags. I haven't seen any mini 14 mags in the stores for a while now.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
69 Posts
these are .223 or 7.62x39?
I have a 30 rnd promag for my mini 30 that won't feed
I also have 2 "USA magazine" 30 rounders that work fine so who knows
Sounds like anything other than a ruger mag is a crapshoot

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
these are .223 or 7.62x39?
I have a 30 rnd promag for my mini 30 that won't feed
I also have 2 "USA magazine" 30 rounders that work fine so who knows
Sounds like anything other than a ruger mag is a crapshoot
These are for the Mini 14. I went Promag because they were stocked at the local Academy Sports so I figured if I got a dud I could swap it. Never had to though - all 14 worked out of the box in all of my minis.

If you're hunting for mini 30 mags try CDNN. They've had some Korean made ones. Or just get yourself on the waiting list for genuine Ruger ones if you're not in a state under imminent threat of a ban.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I only use 20 rd mags, the 30's get in the way of hunting situations. I have 5 20 rd promags and they have worked flawlessly on a variety of milsurp and otc ammo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences with me and everyone else. I will try my new magazines when I get the chance to shoot my Mini 14 hopefully in the next few weeks.

For the people that have problems with the ProMag metal magazines, what is the problem ?? Is it the springs ?? Follower ???

If springs, has anyone tried the Wolf magazine springs that seem to have extra power over stock maybe helping with feeding problems ???

If the follower, how about using the follower in older broken or lower capacity Ruger magazines ?? Just a thought.

Again thanks for any info and experiences. God Bless :)

·
ZORT member
993 Posts
The followers are not made the same. Some hold the bolt after the last shot, some don't. I would venture to guess that some of the angles aren't correct resulting in feeding problems. I have some Ruger followers on back order.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences with me and everyone else. I will try my new magazines when I get the chance to shoot my Mini 14 hopefully in the next few weeks.

For the people that have problems with the ProMag metal magazines, what is the problem ?? Is it the springs ?? Follower ???

If springs, has anyone tried the Wolf magazine springs that seem to have extra power over stock maybe helping with feeding problems ???

If the follower, how about using the follower in older broken or lower capacity Ruger magazines ?? Just a thought.

Again thanks for any info and experiences. God Bless :)
Assuming the rifle and ammo are good :unsure: The magazine lip angles may have been altered by leaving them heavy (with ammo) for an extended period. Or they may have possibly never been right or had some impact that changed geometry. Mistreatment without cleaning would be another. You throw it in the dirt and grab another, you had better clean and lube it up after action.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.