Perfect Union banner

honest opinion

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Paul556 
#1 ·
hello everyone,this is my first of many posts to come. i just bought a mini off of the internet. i bought it because its a good looking rifle that would be fun and cheap to shoot. what i would like to know is what is your honset opinion on Wolf ammo? Thanks

#2 ·
Very diry ammo. For instance, my brother shoots with Wolf, I will use anything else (PMC, Federal, Winchester, etc). Both of us will fire 150 rounds through a clean rifle. His rifle will have a bunch of red and green flakes all in it, and also a bunch of black soot or whatever it is. My rifle will be basically clean. I can imagine after 500 or so rounds his rifle would be jamming due to all this crud that is clogging up his chamber and action. I'd shoot it if I was super broke though, and not worry about it, but as long as I have a few extra dollars I think that other ammo is better for that reason.

#3 ·
cheap: YES.

accurate: Not Very. If you want accurate, go with more expensive ammo or hand loads.

reliable: YES, about 95% based on varied experiences. Myself, I've had 99.9% reliability (1 dud per 1,000).

clean: Not very - the red sealant between the bullet and the case gets EVERYWHERE, but its easy to clean up.

durability: Very good.

reloadability: NOPE - can't reload steel casings.

shelf life: Basically forever (but not in my house ;) ).

fun factor: For plinking, this is the stuff you want. Cost about $97/1000 rounds.

WOW! Is this site SLOW lately!

#4 ·
Originally posted by trdslinger
I can imagine after 500 or so rounds his rifle would be jamming due to all this crud that is clogging up his chamber and action are.
Nope, no way. This ain't your grandaddy's AR. I've gone through over 800 WOLF rounds, no cleaning (sorry for those fanatics), but this gun has NEVER missed a beat. Drop it in a sand pile, shake it off and start shooting. Don't worry son, the Wolf ammo isn't that dirty.

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum earthmover. If you are thinking of buying a large quanity of ammo cause its, cheep, you might want to try a couple of boxes of several types of ammo to see how your mini likes it. Each rifle shoots different. What shoots well, in mine may not shoot well at all in yours. The wolf has a berdian primer, and is more difficult to fire, than a boxer primed ammo (american ammo). Some people like the wolf, and have had no problems. I prefer Winchester 45 gr Varmint for factory ammo, but I like my reloads even more. Many shooters like Federal Lake City. Its cheap, and shoots well.

#10 ·
earthmover---What cajungeo says is correct, these 5.56/.223's are a completely different round than the 30.06 or .308/7.62 NATO. With the military 30's you could expect about the same proformance between two rifles shooting the same ammo. With these new .22's each rifle seems to be an individual & has it's own preference in ammo. Quite a bit like a 22 rimfire. Reloading your own rounds can dramatically reduce you group size. The only problem I have with this is popping off a bunch of rounds it's taken me hours to build. What you can do is buy a bunch of different low price ammo & find one that shoots well in your rifle. Once you've found that good ammo you can check with other reloaders & see it anyone has a load that duplicates that ammo. If so you can usually work up a good hand load from that. Or you can just by whatever's cheapest & blast away.

Have fun
Bushwack

#11 ·
I always have some Wolf on hand... It's a great plinking round...

I'm on about 2500 rounds now with no trouble...

It is a little dirty, IE leaves more fouling then more expensive ammo and has a very acrid smell... (You certainly know when someone aorund you is shooting Russian)

It's cheap... .08 at Cabellas and you get (4) 50 Cal. Cans when you buy 1000 rounds... I shoot the 62 Gr. for the ballastics..

Just my 2 Cents....

#12 ·
A local indoor range rents machineguns. A friend and I rented an M16 and burned 400 rounds through it one day. He only sells Wolf ammo for the M16. When I picked it up it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for several thousand rounds. I gave it back smoking :D and it never skipped a beat. I think I will pick up a case of it and see how it runs in the AC-556. I'll let you all know if gives me any problems. Some folks have experienced stuck cases when shooting full auto. I think it is due to tight chambers, but that is my opinion. Wolf will not make your gun explode, but it may make it dirty and it may jam. Not a bad trade off for cheap ammo. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.