Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends.
For my second post, I would like to share a good money saving tool. I was at home and my baby just went to sleep so I decided to keep myself busy. I have been locking online for a while for a cheap laser boresighter and I was not quite happy with what is available. Price wise I mean. Therefore, I decided to build my own using the minimal of tools and materials. Overall, it is ugly as hell but it is very effective and simple to make. Well let me know your thoughts and concerns. I hope this is useful to at least some of you.
Homemade laser bore sighter. DIY - YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
if its not inside the BORE... how do you know its exactly aligned with the bore???

REPEATABILITY and consistency are the keys here... is it precisely repeatable, and consistent?

I mean it looks like a total Cob-job to me... I dont understand what you are trying to achieve as its mounted on a mosin nagant, correct? making sure the iron sights are aligned in the 'ol gal?? LOL!

I could look through the barrel with the bolt removed and be on paper in 1 shot with a freshly installed scope at 50 yards... not sure how much more you would gain with this... :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thank you for your reply. You are talking about looking through the bore to align a scope, right? Well you do the same thing with this contraption for lack of better term. The reason why this laser sighter makes it easy is because one does not need a stable rifle mount in order to look through the bore and then through the scope. As I showed on the video, I was holding it in my hand when I zeroed the laser. Another way to do it, which is a bit more accurate especially for the mosin, is to zero the laser with the iron sights and then zero the scope to the laser. This method would zero the scope to the point of impact that is different from where the bore is aiming. This way one would need less adjustment on the scope.
For the other point you are bringing up you are correct it will not hold a zero if removed or even moved. But according to the marine corps marksmen ship publications even when using a picatiny rail mounted sight it will not hold a perfect zero if removed and reinstalled.
Well let me know what you think.

·
Registered
833 Posts
First thank you for your reply. You are talking about looking through the bore to align a scope, right? Well you do the same thing with this contraption for lack of better term. The reason why this laser sighter makes it easy is because one does not need a stable rifle mount in order to look through the bore and then through the scope. As I showed on the video, I was holding it in my hand when I zeroed the laser. Another way to do it, which is a bit more accurate especially for the mosin, is to zero the laser with the iron sights and then zero the scope to the laser. This method would zero the scope to the point of impact that is different from where the bore is aiming. This way one would need less adjustment on the scope.
For the other point you are bringing up you are correct it will not hold a zero if removed or even moved. But according to the marine corps marksmen ship publications even when using a picatiny rail mounted sight it will not hold a perfect zero if removed and reinstalled.
Well let me know what you think.
I was unable to watch the video... that might have helped... while at work... no streaming...

But I gotcha... I was thinking you were using this as a mechanical zero to sight in an optic...

your explanation made it clear that you use the irons to zero the contraption, then use the existing laser dot to get the optic very close to zero... clever!!

Dont see any reason it wouldn't work just fine for that!! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts