Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sling is useful for hunting. But if I have to grab my rifle in the middle of the night I want no distractions or possible entanglements to impede me. I take my sling off at home.

Anyone like a sling at home? And why?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Depends on what you mean by home defense.

If it's a prowler, the 12 gauge with 00 is next to the bed, no sling for the reasons you stated.

If it's something more and a centerfire rifle is required, I will have my US Palm grab and go kit and my centerfire rifle with a combat sling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I prefer my XD40 for my HD firearm. More maneuverable and easier to store safely while still having quick access. Young kid in the house requires a secure firearm.

If I did have a rifle as a HD gun it would be my mini. I don't think I would have a sling just so it wouldn't get caught or wrapped up on something while moving around.

·
Libertarian
302 Posts
I could see the sling as being useful, especially an easy to shoulder one. But I would still prefer the Remington 870 with 00 buck over a carbine for home defense. However I still plan on a single point easy clip sling when I get the rifle and money.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My HD shotguns, my Mini and my AR's all have slings on them. All two point or tactical two point. If i have to go outside and need both hands for something I like the option of being able to sling a long gun over my shoulder other then setting it down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can think of many tasks that would require the use of both hands, setting my rifle down, I am effectively disarmed for that moment. I am not going to be able to operate a longgun with only one hand, I have a 1 year old and may need to scoop him up to get him to safety. Slinging a rifle in that scenario sounds best.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I prefer my P89 for INSIDE the home defense of 1-2 criminals. The 870 would work great too, but I really don't want to deal with that kind of spackle repair if I can avoid it. lol But the 870/18.5" barrel is great for home defense, especially perimeter defense outside the home, or as a "bigger deterrent" than a handgun. ... a carbine is more of a SHTF defense gun, or if you live on a ranch in texas where your "castle" begins at your property line. lol

I keep a sling on my carbine, use it for stability at the range (I shoot offhand only), and ditto for the 870... but if the 870 was beside the bed, I would probably remove the sling ... just one more thing to "get caught" on something, I guess?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Slings are used for two reasons: weapon retention, weapon load bearing. Sticking to a home defense state of mind, I don't see were a sling would be needed. If I'm defending my home, I'm not going to be doing anything else, but dealing with the threat. Both of my hands are going to be full of gun. The only way I'll put my gun down, is after the threat is stopped, or the cops get there. If there is NO more threat, and I need to us both hands to do something, then I'll just set my rifle down. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are defending yourself from intruders in your home a short barrel 12 gauge is the safest and best way to go. Most intruders will be running from just the sound of you pumping it. Everyone knows that sound. Unless you live in an extremely rural area a 223 round has to much of a risk of blowing through your home wall and hitting someone it wasn't intended to hit.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Slings are used for two reasons: weapon retention, weapon load bearing.
Also used for supported fire...

IMO, if you're defending your home with a Mini-14, you live in a big damned house. I understand the concept of clearing rooms with a semi-auto carbine, but I'd rather do so with a handgun or short shotgun. My Colt Defender gets me to my Mossy 500. My Mini is relegated to hunting.

Having said that, if a person is determined to hunt 2-legged game within the confines of a residence, I'd recommend against a sling. That's just one more thing to snag on stuff...

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I put a sling on every rifle I own. Just seems to look weird without one. Also handy for carrying rifles to and from the vehicle at the range if you don't have cases for everything. Gotta have a sling in the woods. Wrapping your off hand(left usually) around the sling helps steady your aim if you don't have a support.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put a sling on every rifle I own. Just seems to look weird without one. Also handy for carrying rifles to and from the vehicle at the range if you don't have cases for everything. Gotta have a sling in the woods. Wrapping your off hand(left usually) around the sling helps steady your aim if you don't have a support.
Totally agree hottarod. On the range, in the woods, give me my sling.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If you are defending yourself from intruders in your home a short barrel 12 gauge is the safest and best way to go. Most intruders will be running from just the sound of you pumping it. Everyone knows that sound. Unless you live in an extremely rural area a 223 round has to much of a risk of blowing through your home wall and hitting someone it wasn't intended to hit.
Actually a 5.56 or .223 has less chance of blowing through your house then a shotgun with buck shot or most handgun rounds .38 and up. Those little 55 grain pills are going so fast at close range they come apart and fragment when they hit a couple layers of drywall or a stud.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Actually a 5.56 or .223 has less chance of blowing through your house then a shotgun with buck shot or most handgun rounds .38 and up. Those little 55 grain pills are going so fast at close range they come apart and fragment when they hit a couple layers of drywall or a stud.
Alotta these guys get a kick outta buying milspec 5.56. Steel is gonna have a totally different result with drywall and stud. Just throwin that out there

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the bold--Are you serious? Way to many video games bro.

A round fired from a 12 gauge that will meet the FBI requirement of 12" of penetration will also penetrate walls more accurately than a round fired from a carbine such as a mini 14.

The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 1

·
Registered
602 Posts
X2 on above. Slugs out of my 12 ga will blow cinder blocks and bricks apart. 223 just leave a little dimple unless they are steel core. My S12 with 11 rounds of alternating slugs and 00Buck can do an incredible ammount of damage. My house would look like a brick of swiss cheese if i ever cut loose with that beast.
Also every long gun I own has a sling. They are very handy. IMo an essential part of any weapon or sporting rifle. You know its there. It does not get in the way. Its just part of the weapon. Its a zen thing. Become one with your weapon.
For HD the long guns are in the safe. My M1911 A1 is all I need.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My go to HD weapon is my M&P 9mm with attached light. That is backed by my 870 loaded with 7 rounds of 00 buck low recoil (for my recoil sensitive wife) both of those are there to fight me to my carbine if needed. None of these have a sling, however, I keep a 1 pt sling looped around the frame of my bail out bag.

·
Libertarian
302 Posts
For me its between a .45 ACP JHP, 12Ga 00 buck or 7.62x39 FMJ. For my uses Id rather have the shotgun for effectiveness and give the wife my pistol as its the easiest for her to handle for the last line if I fail. Obviously of the 3 rounds I use for HD the .45 JHP is the least penetrating round on materials such as walls, but its also the best for the wife to take in such situations and I know Im not sending her out to protect us nor am I leaving her with a child and a 12Ga...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts