Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a shot gun for home defense. I know their are many go maker out there.
I would like some suggestions please. Semi-auto preferred and in the $500-$700 range.
Thanks

· Registered
3 Posts
I've always been a shotgun guy; only recently have I started getting into handguns. I have a Remington 12 gauge 1100 synthetic with 28" barrel. It's semi-auto, and great for defense, hunting, and target shooting. The only drawback is that it only holds 4+1 rounds, but that can be easily fixed. I got a Choate mag extension tube, and it's now 8+1. Used 1100s are going for around $6-700 right now.

· Registered
155 Posts
I know you said you prefer an auto loader but for home defense(or anything) I much prefer a pump(they are faster than an autoloader) because of their dependability. I have an old S&W tactical in one area and a pistol grip Maverick on another spot. I do have a Mossy 930 auto loader that is sweet but when life/limb are on the line I want a pump. If you are dead set on one I will sell you mine--bought it on a whim and like I said--prefer a pump.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GM 06,
Interestinng you mentioned that about auto loaders vs pump. I've naturally continued to reserach things over the weekend and feel a pump is the way to go.
I've kinda narrowed things down to the Mossburg 590 and the Remington 870.
Seem to be the most popular with many after market parts if I want to change things up a bit.
Always anticipate suggestions.
Jerry

· Registered
926 Posts
Google Ithaca Model 37. Around since '37 and is being produced currently by a company in Ohio. Pump action, ejects out the bottom of receiver and "was" capable of slam-fire (hold trigger back, and pump away). Last one I saw (2 yrs ago at the SAR Show) was a parkerized military version and priced at $400.

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
can't go wrong with either one of those guns.
the 590 or the 870 are both top notch gear.

I have a 590 myself. with the 20" barrel and 9 round tube.

I also have a stevens 350 with an 18" barrel and 5 round tube (which is an Ithaca 37 clone)

the stevens is solid, but inexpensive - it also has a great pointability "feel" to it and it's pretty short which makes it great in the house. and it's good for a lefty with the bottom eject (my wife is a southpaw) it lives in my bedroom in a shotgun scabbard clipped under my side of the bed, loaded on an empty chamber. we have no kids, and the dog is afraid of guns (she bonked herself on the head with an unloaded rifle when she knocked it off my work bench once, ever since she stays away from anything that smells like breakfree :D she gives the gun locker a pretty wide berth in my office too. ) so I'm not worried about unauthorized access.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, getting close to a decision. Wish I could get them both. LOL
Is there any benefit to the 590A1 with its thick barrel, metal trigger, etc, for a guy like me using it for HD and range fun. Hmmm........isn't life great to have choices!!!

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got my 870, 81198 and installed the ATI stock. I love it. Still want to put the ATI 5 sided forend and ATI heat sheild if they ever make one to fit this model. Getting ready to order the Mesa side saddle, maybe......

I've been looking at the Mesa and the [email protected] I like the slant/cant of the GGG but not sure I care for how it is installed. Mesa looks more finished on the left side. GGG just has the end of the screws showing and even thought the GGG can be loctited, just seems to me that Mesas has a better set up. I sure like the cant of GGG though.
Any thoughts on this difference from anyone?????

· Registered
102 Posts
Take it from this old 63 year old dude. Get you a Mossberg 500 and buy the 18 inch, I think, slug barrel for it. NEVER ever had a stoppage on mine in many years of dove hunting with it, 29 inch upland game barrel for that. You can buy multiple types of barrel for it, and even mine as old as it is, handles both 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch shells. To change barrel just hit the slide release button and pull the action back about 1/2 inch, unscrew the barrel nut and off it comes. The Mossberg has two slide bars just like the Remington and the US military uses the Mossberg too and they are less expensive than the Remington or any other quality shotgun. My two cents.

Reb

P.S. Get you some 00 buckshot for whatever shotgun you buy for HD.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
GM 06,
Interestinng you mentioned that about auto loaders vs pump. I've naturally continued to reserach things over the weekend and feel a pump is the way to go.
I've kinda narrowed things down to the Mossburg 590 and the Remington 870.
Seem to be the most popular with many after market parts if I want to change things up a bit.
Always anticipate suggestions.
Jerry
Wise to go with a pump. I have never trusted a self loader for social purposes FWIW.

Mossy has an aluminum receiver and the placement of the safety catch is a little awkward for some; try it in person yourself to see what you think. Mossy you can't extend the mag tube, when you get it. But extended tubes are available as an easy to get factory option on the gun when you buy it. Just make sure that what you want is what you're getting (i.e. don't get a 5 banger and then say "crud I really shoulda' got a 7 banger").

Remington has a steel receiver and a better ergonomic placement to the safety. Mag tube is easy to extend or keep short if you're in a restrictive jurisdiction. You can have it mild or wild IOW. The Remington can be a pain though if you buy a short tubed sporting model and decide to extend it - for a while the tubes had dimples that had to be removed. Not sure if they're doing it now.

Either works fine, neither is perfect. As far as reliability goes, both are good IME, but the Mossy tends to break safeties (fragile safety button) and the Remington once in a blue moon will break an ejector (serious PITA to put in a new one).

If you're really in the "up to $600" budget range, consider an Ithaca 37 defense model. If the new ones are as good as the old ones they're champs but about 2x the price of the competition. Not claiming the new ones are as good though - mine was made well over 30 years ago and has been a keeper, even when I sold nearly all my other guns. Not as many accessories on the '37 either so if you want to go tacticool, then by all means go Mossy or Remington instead. The Ithaca 37 defense with wood stock is very old school (which is one thing I really like about it).

Just my two cents. I'm rethinking whether to get another 870 or break down and spend the extra for a spare Ithaca (strong believer in "two is one, one is none" philosophy of guns). The Ithaca was based on a design by John Browning and Pederson that Remington originally had the patents on, but was too expensive so they dropped it during the depression. The "37" comes from the year 1937, when the patents expired and the Ithaca Gun Company of Ithaca New York decided to get into the shotgun market.

Best,
Grumpy
PS Sorry for the boring history. Any of the 3 are fine, it comes down to what fits YOU best. Handle 'em each and pick the one you like best. Just realize that if you go Ithaca you won't be doing tacticool customization and your friends won't know what it is.
PPS Should have read all the way to the end of the thread, darnit. See you got an 870. You'll be fine. Its a good gun.

· Registered
102 Posts
Agree with Grumpy. I always called Mossberg the "Chevrolet" of shotguns. I've had my 500 for close to 30 years and hunted with it a bunch. Actually the reason I have the slug barrel is that is what I started chasing bambi with. Makes it easy to handle with a full stock on it because the barrel is short. Grumpy do you have any history on the Mossberg. Enjoyed your article.

Reb

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Agree with Grumpy. I always called Mossberg the "Chevrolet" of shotguns. I've had my 500 for close to 30 years and hunted with it a bunch. Actually the reason I have the slug barrel is that is what I started chasing bambi with. Makes it easy to handle with a full stock on it because the barrel is short. Grumpy do you have any history on the Mossberg. Enjoyed your article.

Reb
Hi Fackler Rebel;

Had a couple of regular 500's and for a few years a 590 sat next to my bed. Got rid of it because it was the primary house gun and the Chicago 'burb I was in went on an "anti assault weapon" kick in the early '90's - real dangerous to ice a burglar with something that they could vilify and end up as public enemy number one in the papers. I replaced it with a real plain jane 870, stock magazine tube (unplugged to 4+1), open cylinder 18.1" tube, oil finished wood stock and all. Figured it would be an easier sell that I was just a hick deer hunter who tragically had to defend himself from a burglar instead of an evil right winger who was armed to the teeth for a confrontation with some "poor misunderstood kid from the inner city who was just starting to turn his life around" (or some such BS term for a crack addict home invader), which is how the lefties there would view it. Preferred the Ithaca police gun that's been with me since I was a just a kid, but the cops there would take any gun lawfully used in a DGU and either not return it or get it back to you ruined so I never would use a favorite gun that was hard to replace. Glad I got out of that place!

Found out the bit about the magazine tubes the hard way - when I was a kid I picked up one of the shorty tube models, then wanted the long tube. No dice, new gun time (with a 24 hour waiting period for a trade-in!). Ended up with the 590 and would like to get another one some day since I'm in a better part of the country now.

Only broke one safety on a 500, but I knew a guy who went through a few of 'em. He ended up making a replacement button by whittling a corn cob and soaking it in epoxy (I am not making this up!). That one didn't break. That 'ole boy passed on a good 20 years back, but I can still remember learning a lot about "improvised 'smithing" from him, along with the WW2 vet who taught me the fundamentals of handloading....really miss them and a bunch of others from the old days who aren't around any more.

Of the three designs, the Mossy is probably a best value per money and really shouldn't give trouble - just be careful not to smash the safety button into anything. Guess if you break it on a burglar's face that's an approved use though! Remingtons are a mite pricey but stout so long as you don't break the ejector (only had to replace two of 'em but it is one gosh darned PITA to do it!) which makes it so you have to manually clear the empties out between shots, and I have yet to break an Ithaca 37 (one of the few guns I can make that claim about!). If $$ was a little better I'd be seriously looking for another of those, because anything I can't manage to break through hard use has some magic in the design!

Best,
Grumpy

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Grumpy do you have any history on the Mossberg. Enjoyed your article.

Reb
After I wrote all that I reread you post - when someone asks if I have history, it always meant "have you owned one". Sorry for the confusion!

O.F. Mossberg and Sons were founded by a family of Swedish immigrants some time around 1920 (check the company logo) as a general sporting goods company that made .22's too. Made kind of an oddball collectible pepperbox called the Brownie. The family patriarch worked with the original Iver Johnson back in the day before founding his own company so he came from a firearms background. Company branched into the police/sporting shotgun market in the very early '60's w/the original single action bar 500, which was revamped with dual action bars in the '70's. Very good design overall and a best buy in my book. 590 came out when Ron Reagan was our president IIRC (you do not know how much I would love to have had him live long enough to make a one liner character assessment of obozo - of Jerry Brown, when asked he commented "If its Brown, flush it down...").

Looks like they've diversified further by branching into lever guns of late. If they could find it in their hearts to delete the top mounted safety I would be very interested indeed.

Best,
Grumpy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.