Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is the start of my project to build a machine rest for my handguns. Mostly this is for long range (100-200 yards) with my T/C Contender with my .35 Rem and 7mm TCU barrels. But, it will also come in handy if I am trying to dial in sights on my other handguns.

So far, I have two pieces of 6061 Aluminum, which I drilled and tapped tonight to make the base. Tomorrow I plan to get the holes drilled and tapped for the adjustable table feet. After that I get to make the sled for the rear bag, and the adjustable front base where the barrel will sit.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 2: Progress - Drilled holes and installed feet and turn knobs for leveling the rest. Now it's work on the uprights/barrel adjustment, and then a cradle for the butt rest bag.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Making progress. Still remaining:

- Frame to set rear bag in.
- Bracket and elevating rod for front bag.
- Need to cut about 1.5-2 inches out of upright bolts.
- Cut and install sleeves over upright bolts.

Once it is all built, I'll take it apart and powder coat the parts.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being aluminum, the powder coat would be just for looks. I've changed tact a bit and am thinking of only doing the steel parts that might rust over time (bag frame, bolt sleeves)...but haven't decided just yet.

6061 is not exactly cheap, but in my case a friend has a bunch of it (like 30 feet worth) that he picked up at an auction.

The plus side is that 6061 is pretty tough stuff, but is still easy to cut, drill and tap.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it together yesterday. The upright bolts were cut down by 2 inches. It will fit everything from my 1911 to the Super 14 Contender. Only my very smallest carry weapons don't fit, but they are just too small.

After some range time to make sure I'm happy with it, it'll come apart and I'll finish out the parts.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the rest works perfect. The star wheel functions great, allowing me to make fine adjustments with just my off-hand index finger.

I had a bunch of red left over from powder coating the brake calipers on my Dart...so in the words of Tony Stark "Throw a little hot rod red in there." :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.