Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted this in the optics section, but nobody has looked at it. Besides its for a ranch rifle, and I am going to be mounting it over the bolt with a rail mounted to the ranch rifles reciever mounts.

OK, I have messed with an aimpoint. There ok, but this one was more of the "scope tube" non magnifying type. I want to put the new type of sight with the square window in my ranch rifle.

I was looking at the burris sights. They are called Red Dot Reflex. When researching the different types of these sights I found that I REALLY want to try the holographic sights that appear to actually put the dot fifty yards in front of the rifle. The Eotech sights actually call theirs "holographic sights".

Is the Burris Red Dot Reflex also a Holographic? Or am I going to have to pay double for the eotech? I will, but I want to get the cheaper burris if they do the same thing and you just get more durability with the eotech. I dont really beat up my guns as much as I would think the eotech is designed to take.

Which one of these sights should I consider to get that "fifty yards in front of the rifle" sight picture? Would this be better for the ranch rifle?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you are referring to the Burris FastFire, no, it is not holographic. It is also very small in size.

The 22/45 pistol in this photo has a Burris FastFire mounted on it (for an idea of it's size.)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Whether the dot is projected on an open pane like the Burris FastFire (or perhaps more famously the EO Tech models) or on a pane enclosed in a tube, the effect is the same. The red dot appears to be on the target in either design.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you are referring to the Burris FastFire, no, it is not holographic. It is also very small in size.

The 22/45 pistol in this photo has a Burris FastFire mounted on it (for an idea of it's size.)

How do you like the Burris on the pistol? I am thinking of getting one for my Ruger MK3 Hunter, I do not like the fiber optic sights. I also contacted Tool Tech and they will make me a set of Trijicon adjustable night sights for Ruger...but they cost more that the Fast Fire Burris.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I had an Eotech on my Mini 30 and did not like it.....to much of a "starburst" sight picture that to me was fuzzy. I think you would be happier with a quality Red-dot of some type. I now swear by Trijicon Acupoints.
Hmm, I assumed EO Tech was a quality red dot. I've used only cheapo red dots and I attribute the fuzzy dot to my need for reading glasses. Almost everything within a foot of my eye if fuzzy including a red dot. Mine sits out on a scout rail and it's still fuzzy. Can't shoot in bifocals, so I just put up with the fuzziness.

So can I assume the Trijicon is sharper?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The reticle of Eotechs is "fuzzy" because the image is generated by a laser, which is really a bunch of tiny dots (pixels). The laser is necessary to produce a near parallax-free aiming system (despite marketing blurb to the contrary, all electronic sights have some degree of parallax. Eo's have less than Aimpoints, which have less than inexpensive red dots).

The Eotech remains the sight with the fastest target acquisition, as the visual approach angle is the broadest. About as soon as you can see the circle-dot on target, your weapon is aimed and ready to engage. Even the best tube-style reflex sights require a split second more to line things up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
When it comes to red dots, Aimpoint is the name of the game, period.

The 9000sc model fits perfectly over the receiver in 30mm scope rings.

EOtechs are not nearly as durable/reliable as Aimpoint, their battery life sucks, and they are not good for mounting on Mini's because they are too high.

·
Registered
455 Posts
As mentioned, the Fast Fire is small but it works well on the Mini. With a proper cheek weld it is easy to and fast to use. Battery life is incredible and the dot auto adjusts to the ambient light.

Works for me and reasonably priced.

Wil

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I plan to purchase an Aimpoint some day so I can compare it with the Eotech 552 I do own. I have no idea which I will prefer, and I suspect neither as they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The shorter battery life of Eotechs is due to it using a laser, which is inherently a big energy hog. The tradeoff you get is a reticle with lower parallax.

The reliability rumor of Eos is an obvious concern. I have wondered if this situation has been improved by going to transverse mounting of batteries. At any rate I have not had a problem with mine, so can't test the idea.

·
Mountain Boy
22 Posts
Re: Holographic or Reflex for a ranch

I have a Trijicon Reflex 24mm 4.5MOA on the GG&G Rail. It works great. The thing has been sturdy and I don't need to worry about batteries. It came with the M4 Flattop mount which was too high so I bought the lower mount which added something like another $75 or $100.

Here's a link to the spec sheet. http://www.trijicon.com/resources/downloads/2013_Trijicon_Reflex.pdf

Reactions: challer

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a vortex sight (piece of crap) mounted on top of the factory supplied rail on my ruger mk III hunter. Going to get the fast fire as i shot it on a friends gun and loved the dot and clarity.. does that mount go in rear iron sight spot?

sight
I am very happy with the FastFire on the 22/45. I used the Ruger Mk I II III Mounting Plate which allows it to sit very low (so low I removed the front sight and put a threaded plug in the threaded hole to get it out of the way.)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Would you consider a CQB scope 1-4 or 6x?

I started with a red dot on GG&G rail but after getting the rifle tuned for better accuracy I felt the weak link for distance shooting was for sure a zero magnificating dot. I stepped up to a 1.5-4x cqb scope and never looked back. At low mag it's just a fast as a dot tube for target aquisition. If the rifle is a 3-whatever moa, then a dot is fine. So many toys to choose from...:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had an Eotech on my Mini 30 and did not like it.....to much of a "starburst" sight picture that to me was fuzzy. I think you would be happier with a quality Red-dot of some type. I now swear by Trijicon Acupoints.
Hmm, I assumed EO Tech was a quality red dot. I've used only cheapo red dots and I attribute the fuzzy dot to my need for reading glasses. Almost everything within a foot of my eye if fuzzy including a red dot. Mine sits out on a scout rail and it's still fuzzy. Can't shoot in bifocals, so I just put up with the fuzziness.

So can I assume the Trijicon is sharper?
The EoTech's that I have seen and used are quality optics. You can reduce the fuzzy effect by decreasing the brightness by a click or two, but I have seen some people report problems with Eotechs being fuzzy if they have certain eye conditions/problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.