Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is a continuation of my "Failure To Eject Thread". Four pages was becoming a pain to navigate, but I really appreciated the 75 suggestions and the almost 1,500 reads.

Here is the consensus from the suggestions so far, I think:

1.Gas pressure has been ruled-out due to some ejected shells going 20 feet, and my disassembly and scouring of gas parts and finding no obstructions or unfit parts.

2. Apparantly, no bent parts or weak springs. (not 100% sure here)(springs will be ordered with the new bolt. Anyone got one for sale?.

3. Only the best ammo is being used. No steel case or steel tipped. Seller was using NATO ammo.

4. Rifle is a late 1990's Ranch model 197, bought from a friend who said nothing about FTE, only praise for it's accuracy compared to other minis when he had owned a gun store. I have been coyote hunting with him and I don't remember any FTE (failure to eject). (but who knows-some people overlook things).

5. Thanks to Subscriber I have ruled-out the bolt face and spring (+ many other possibilities).( We have not ruled out side-to-side issues.)

6. wxl helped rule-out other things. Other people helped with more ideas.

7. Rifle is still FTE after every 4 rounds or so, and many of the other ejected brass merely "dribble" out of the top, and forwards. (should eject to the RIGHT).

8.I have ordered a new extractor from Midway. just to be sure.

9. O.K. HERE IS WHAT I NOTICED TODAY!! There is a hole worn in the side of bolt, I can see the firing pin through the hole. I used a magnifying glass as it appears to be worn or chipped from the outside. looks like many miniature nicks in it and not just one BIG blow (from dropping the gun).

We all have been suspicious of bolt slop (my words), but this may just be an ancillary problem and not part of my problem. You guys are the experts, not me.

Please "click" on the pictures to enlarge.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Holy bolt Batman!

Actually Tom, a few people have reported similar bolt holes - a search should find discussion.

Can't remember if it was due to the conincal part of the firing pin impacting the inside of the bolt repeatidly, or if it had to do with contact with the ejector - hard to see how the ejcector could do that.

Perhaps this is the catalyst for Ruger to fix your rifle...

EDIT- see thread on bolt hole like yours: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/84785-mini-14-bolt.html

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
It looks like its time to send back, Ruger will replace the bolt but has to be fitted. Tell them about the rejection issues and who knows, you may get a new rifle.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I think you would be money ahead by giving Ruger a call and sending it in. They will fix it and replace the bolt. I have sent a couple firearms to Ruger for repair and there was no charge other then shipping on my end.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Another vote for sending it back to Ruger. When it is there have them build you another complete bolt assembly with fitted firing pin. Then you will be back in business and able to go out and shoot two thousand rounds at a time without any issues! These guns usually are very dependable. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
+1,000 to all of the above. You've ruled out all of the easily-fixed issues and it's still a no-go. Not to mention the new discovery...

Ruger will replace the bolt for free under their lifetime warranty and if you let them know about the FTEs (be sure to specify it only does that every fourth round or so, so they'll put 20ish rounds through it), they should return it to you running like a Swiss watch.

Or they may just send you a new Ranch Rifle, as mentioned. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to solve this myself, but the hole determines that it goes back to Ruger with pictures of jams, Thanks

I will let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Faxed Ruger

I sent a fax to Ruger today. Maybe they have someone who watches this forum and will give me "special attention". Hint Hint (My fax reads: Fails to Eject 1 in 10 shots and has hole in side of bolt.)( Please send a shipping box and a RGA) thanks Tom T

I also included ser# and model. I will, of course, send send "pictures fired shells" with the rifle when the shipping box arrives.

OK, out for now. I am working on my 1903a3 Smith Corona minor glitches and I don't think this site is involved in these. I can certainly email Subscriber if I get in a "jam" though. lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
I sent a fax to Ruger today. Maybe they have someone who watches this forum and will give me "special attention". Hint Hint (My fax reads: Fails to Eject 1 in 10 shots and has hole in side of bolt.)( Please send a shipping box and a RGA) thanks Tom T

I also included ser# and model. I will, of course, send send "pictures fired shells" with the rifle when the shipping box arrives.

OK, out for now. I am working on my 1903a3 Smith Corona minor glitches and I don't think this site is involved in these. I can certainly email Subscriber if I get in a "jam" though. lol
make sure you take off all of your "Mods" to your mini before you send it to them..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts