Perfect Union banner

Was your Hogue loose or snug out of the box?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im starting to thinking about getting a hogue over my ati. Why you ask? Nostalgia. I LOVE the ati as its a snug fit, accurate and consistent groups, and its versatile. But I cant help but lust over a OD hogue.

My concern is solely on the fitment of the stock. I dont want to go from a known good snug stock to a sloppy loose on that will require modification. Dont get me wrong Im not against modifications, but I want a stock that works out of the box for confidence. So my question to all you hogue users is was youre loose or snug?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine was tighter than the stock synthetic but not as tight as a BC Folder. I might try some shims when I put the Hogue back on. Not sorry I got the Hogue at all.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On average you'll find the Hogue stock to be very loose. So loose that many times the left side of the receiver doesn't even contact the stock and you can see daylight though the gap. The reason is simple - variants. Since the stock was molded to accept every Mini14, Mini 30, Mini 6.8, from 181 and up the fit had to be loose. They fit tighter on the mid 580 series to the present 58X but it's still a loose fit. If you bed the stock using my video you'll have a nice fit but the stock will still flex more than others due to the thin skeleton and rubber over-mold.

If you buy the Hogue you'll need the forend liner from your factory stock or order a new one. The ATI liner won't fit properly and the rifle won't cycle properly, nor will the gas block fit properly to the stock without the liner.

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
On average you'll find the Hogue stock to be very loose. So loose that many times the left side of the receiver doesn't even contact the stock and you can see daylight though the gap. The reason is simple - variants. Since the stock was molded to accept every Mini14, Mini 30, Mini 6.8, from 181 and up the fit had to be loose. They fit tighter on the mid 580 series to the present 58X but it's still a loose fit. If you bed the stock using my video you'll have a nice fit but the stock will still flex more than others due to the thin skeleton and rubber over-mold.

If you buy the Hogue you'll need the forend liner from your factory stock or order a new one. The ATI liner won't fit properly and the rifle won't cycle properly, nor will the gas block fit properly to the stock without the liner.
Yeah its a 581 30, so should be on the snugger side of things. Can you link the bedding video so that I may determine if Im replacing my ati or not. Thanks!

EDIT: I found it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
mines pretty snug on a new mini 30 tactical
once i took the trigger group out, the receiver/etc just kinda fell out of my factory stock
i had to tap it in to the hogue
guess i just got lucky

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mines pretty snug on a new mini 30 tactical
once i took the trigger group out, the receiver/etc just kinda fell out of my factory stock
i had to tap it in to the hogue
guess i just got lucky
Thats how my ati stock is. I have to pull pretty hard to get the assembly out of the stock. If this is how hogue would be for a 581 mini 30 I might grab one next pay day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.