Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using the supplied high Ruger rings on my Mini 14 Ranch with a Weaver Classic V 1-3x scope. I lapped the rings so I can't swap them back to Ruger for some mediums.

I am thinking of switching out to the medium height ones though as I have plenty of clearance over the rear sight aperature. Is the difference worthwhile for a noticeably better cheek weld on the factory wood stock for $50? Does anyone have any good condition medium height ones they'd like to trade for good condition cleanly lapped high rings?

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's always better to get your scope as low as you can.
Look at it this way: the rifle is designed so the sighting plane is through the irons.
The closer you move your optics to the designed sight plane, the more comfortable it will be, the faster you'll get on target, the better your rifle will balance, and the less recoil stress you'll put on your scope.
You aren't stuck with Ruger rings, either: Warne makes the best QD rings for the Mini-14, IMO.

If you remove the rear sight, you can get even lower rings. With the 1-3x, you'd only need irons if your scope crapped out. While the Mini-14 is a known scope-eater, your choice of optics makes scope failure less likely, especially if you mount it as low as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be careful. Just looking at the pic I'd be surprised if a medium set didn't cause your scope to rest on the rear sight.

FWIW, I have a pair of Warne QD mounts I picked up in a swap to use on my mini and the scope I had slated for it needed to occupy the same space as the rear sight. If you PM me an address I'd happily send them for you to try and if it works for you. I'm sure I could find a use for a set of high rings even if it meant picking up that 196 that's been giving me the eye at the gun shop down here...

Also, even taking the rear sight off and mounting the scope and rings I still needed the cheek riser to get good contact with the factory synthetic stock.

·
HeyMatthew.com
25 Posts
This may or may not help you, but I'm using Warne QD Medium rings with my Mini 14 Tactical (Hogue Stock, not one of the Folders) and Nikon AR223 Optic. I get plenty of clearance (probably couldn't use low rings, but medium are fine).

You could always try the Medium ones and return them or sell them if they didn't work.

Sounds like the guy above me has a pretty good offer on the table as well. :)

But yes, medium Warne QD rings worked really well for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's always better to get your scope as low as you can.
Look at it this way: the rifle is designed so the sighting plane is through the irons.
The closer you move your optics to the designed sight plane, the more comfortable it will be, the faster you'll get on target, the better your rifle will balance, and the less recoil stress you'll put on your scope.
You aren't stuck with Ruger rings, either: Warne makes the best QD rings for the Mini-14, IMO.

If you remove the rear sight, you can get even lower rings. With the 1-3x, you'd only need irons if your scope crapped out. While the Mini-14 is a known scope-eater, your choice of optics makes scope failure less likely, especially if you mount it as low as possible.
OK-so with low rings how do you get the bolt out? I have low rings on my 6.8 and have to remove the scope to do a full field strip. If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Buy the .460 Warne QD rings. Your scope will clear, and you can remove to get the bolt out.

Here are some relevant scope ring heights:

Ruger
Low: .325
Medium: .435
High: .565
X High: .680

Warne 1RL; .460

1 - 7 of 7 Posts