Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Problems ? What problems ? Just don't shoot Berdan primed cheap ammo through it, and they do fine. What other problems do you experience, other than light primer strikes with Berdan primed ammo ? If you want to shoot Russian ammo that is not brass case, Boxer primed, shoot it out of an AKM or SKS. I have had a few light strikes with steel case Berdan primed Hornady and Tula. My reloads with PPU brass and Winchester primers, no problems at all. And they are a lot more accurate than any factory 7.62x39. If you don't reload, shoot Federal American Eagle, PMC, PPU, W-W or R-P brass stuff. People who whine about a Mini not being able to shoot Russian ammo is like someone who buys a new Camaro and complains about it not running well with peanut oil instead of premium gasoline. Or that 2 MOA isn't good enough out of a lightweight semi-auto. It's not a bolt rifle, it does fine for what it is.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
my 189 series 30 fires the now-banned (by billary) Chinese x39 fine, no misfires - surprisingly. and also the very good Yugo mil-surp brass cased.
both are corro primed so that means a good squirt down with a water based cleaner. windex is good, my fav is windsheild washer fluid winter mix has alky in it. hot soapy water does good. then dry and use regular cleaning solution.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problems ? What problems ? Just don't shoot Berdan primed cheap ammo through it, and they do fine. What other problems do you experience, other than light primer strikes with Berdan primed ammo ? If you want to shoot Russian ammo that is not brass case, Boxer primed, shoot it out of an AKM or SKS. I have had a few light strikes with steel case Berdan primed Hornady and Tula. My reloads with PPU brass and Winchester primers, no problems at all. And they are a lot more accurate than any factory 7.62x39. If you don't reload, shoot Federal American Eagle, PMC, PPU, W-W or R-P brass stuff. People who whine about a Mini not being able to shoot Russian ammo is like someone who buys a new Camaro and complains about it not running well with peanut oil instead of premium gasoline. Or that 2 MOA isn't good enough out of a lightweight semi-auto. It's not a bolt rifle, it does fine for what it is.
It was the first rifle I bought when I decided to seriously get into shooting. This was right after Sandyhook when it looked like we might not be able to buy firearms for long. A guy my wife worked with had it for sale and we bought it. I signed up here, bought an accu-strut and a scope, extra magazines, and my wife and I figured out we really enjoyed shooting.

I don't hate the gun, but we have since bought among other things, an M&P 15, an Arsenal AK 47, a PS 90 and two Tavors. I like all of those better than my mini 30.

I'll probably keep it if for no other reason than it doesn't look like an "evil" rifle, but I rarely want to shoot it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I love my mini. Bought it because I wanted a 7.62 short, also wanted an M1a which I couldn't reall afford, so I figured best of both worlds. I dressed mine in a wood stock for the classic and unassuming look. Sure it doesn't shoot everything, but this isn't my go to war gun. I enjoy shooting my mini the most, just hate how it came over gassed from the factory

·
Registered
355 Posts
As one who does NOT own a Mini 30 (I do have a 14), the 30's issues with cheaper steel ammo are the single reason I never bought a 30. Seems like Ruger is missing out on what could be a BIG market by not resolving this.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Because if they do, next thing you know we're asking for ak mag compatibility!

Ruger, If you reading this, make the rifle compatible with ak mags and hard Russian primers. Send units out for t&e to the big names on YouTube, profit....

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 189 has eaten everything I've stuffed into it with out a problem. It's not pickey about after market mags either!! Guess I got a good one!!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My series 583 Mini Thirty #5854 has not had any issues so far with the Russian ammo. Only about 300 rounds so far, many more to come. My first 20 rounds fired were brass, now I mix and match.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Has anyone tried the Mini 30 with Golden Tiger ammo? It's probably the best of the steel cased Russian.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
The Golden Tiger is probably still Berdan primed, the primers are harder for the Mini to digest than the steel case.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I hear so much BS about these guns I can hardly believe it. Mini 14's are what they are and if 2-3 MOA isn't good enough for you then you should reassess your needs.

These guns weren't designed to be sniper rifles or long range varmint shooters.

There is no steel target or paper target or dirt clod or can or bottle or Water Melon or person that needs more accuracy. It is pointless!

If you noticed in this video he hit pretty much everything he shot at and was doing it offhand with iron sights.

The only problems he had were with the bad ammo, and it was the ammo, as all of those primers he showed had good solid strikes on them.

Solutions: 1. don't use that bad ammo,,, or 2. learn how to rack the slide a little faster when you get a dud.

I have never had a FTF with my 580 Series Mini14 and the majority of ammo that it has shot has been Wolf Steel Cased (because I bought a whole 1000 round case when Obama got elected the first time.) I have just about shot all that stuff up. once again with no FTF's. The gun has a serious Hammer in it and it would take some pretty bad primers to not go off, so that ammo is a definite "must avoid at all cost."

If that's all the ammo you have,,, then learn to clear the malfunctions! It is part of shooting so get used to it. Sometimes you gotta run what you brung.

I am sorry, but when I hear this stuff it only shouts the need for more training. Not problems with the gun.

All guns malfunction, and if you know how to fix it then you won't be the one whining about how your gun doesn't work.

If it's that bad, figure out what is wrong and fix it, or send it back to Ruger. You should eliminate bad ammo before you bitch about Ruger.

As far as accuracy goes, stop shooting at bottle caps. Nobody cares.

Randy

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
The primers were solid hits, it's the ammo failure. Same thing will happen in any gun and cheap ammo.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
The primers were solid hits, it's the ammo failure. Same thing will happen in any gun and cheap ammo.
Actually its a Ruger issue. An AK variant rifle shoots the cheap ammo everytime.

I like ruger but telling it like it is, in the mini-30, the pin isnt long enough to reliably set off 7.62x39 ammo. No one has said a mini-14 wont set off steel case 223

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Correct. The ammo would fire 100% in an AKM or SKS. The Mini's firing pin has a hard time reaching the Berdan primers. There is a good indentation on the primer, just not enough to set them off every time. I'll stick with Boxer primed stuff

·
Registered
105 Posts
I own a Mini 14 and the Mini 30. Love them both.
They shoot great.
I use Boxer primed ammo in the 30. Shoots every time all the time.
If I wanted to shoot cheap Russian or Chinese ammo I would shoot an AK or some SKS variant gun.

It's not a Ruger problem. It's a user problem

RC

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I own a Mini 14 and the Mini 30. Love them both.
They shoot great.
I use Boxer primed ammo in the 30. Shoots every time all the time.
If I wanted to shoot cheap Russian or Chinese ammo I would shoot an AK or some SKS variant gun.

It's not a Ruger problem. It's a user problem

RC
Its a Ruger problem.

7.62x39 is a comblock round. Created in Russia.

All Russian guns fire it reliably and their copies. Thompson Encore, Ar mutant, many other carbines all fire it reliably.

Ruger design the gun to fire the russian round and it fails to fire 10-30% of the primers. Thats a ruger issue, not ammo, not user, etc

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.