Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious... PRIOR to the 1994 MAD RUSH, to churn out Hi-Caps, was the quality of most aftermarkets pretty good? Is part of the problem, with some no-names (hi-cap), is that they were churned-out in slop fashion, just before the ban went into effect? I have two no-names from a 1990 gun show, purchased for about $10, that worked just fine... Comments...?:confused:

·
Registered
689 Posts
If I remember correctly PMI's were about $10.00 a pop in 89-90. I think they could have been cheaper than that at mail order places in Shot Gun News. I'm not sure where Victor and the Western Metal Product magazines are made because I had'nt seen them in 89-90.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've got some aftermarket mags from the 80's that are ok.

I bought a Ramline with my first Mini-14 in 1988 and it worked good enough that I screwed around and didn't buy a bunch of factory Ruger mags.

Big mistake. <G>

I think the mag latch thing is a big part of the problem.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally posted by ULVER
Just curious... PRIOR to the 1994 MAD RUSH, to churn out Hi-Caps, was the quality of most aftermarkets pretty good? Is part of the problem, with some no-names (hi-cap), is that they were churned-out in slop fashion, just before the ban went into effect? I have two no-names from a 1990 gun show, purchased for about $10, that worked just fine... Comments...?:confused:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Was browsing Brownells last nightnight, they have 3 or 4 mag latches for different series. As Mike of oregon pointed out the older mini's had longer latches, while the newer mini's had shorter ones. If I had trouble with my mags I would consider buying an older series mag latch.

My opinion on the mag quality is before the ban the Quality was a larger priority, then as the ban date approached, Quality went out of the window, and Quantity, became the new priority, stamping out as many mags as possible. Having been in management for a number of years, I know how those bas****s think.:rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts