Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, here's the scoop. The new mini's are backward's compatible with banana-fig-fruit-roll-up-superfalaciously-enhanced-torque-wrench-equestrian-based-organic hi-cap mags.... Just kidding. Let me tell you a short story ( 'o mini-14 connoisseurs; mine's a mini-30:) ).

Last Christmas I bought a new mini-30, a muzzelite bullpup stock and one 20 round mag (I don't remember the brand, but it should have been called cr*p). I anxiously assembled the bullpup stock and easily stuck the 20 rounder in. After seeing how flimsy the stock was, I put it back in the original wooden stock. To my suprise, the 20 rounder had to be forced in (it noticably scratched the wood on the inside of the stock, but went in). Later I replaced the stock with a Hogue, and the mag went in smoothely.

Although the magazine was sh*t (found out later the bullets wouldn't even clear the magazine's lips for extraction), the wooden stock seemed really tight for it (stock mag worked fine).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You guys got me so curious tha I dug out my mini's original stock. I HAVE TO CHANGE ONE POINT IN MY PREVIOUS POST - the hi cap mag didn't scratch my mini's wood stock, the metal in the mini's stock scratched the blueing off of my hi cap mag.

Thinking that you guys were probably right about Ruger not changing the magazine configuration, I thought I would test my new 28-45 round thermolds in my mini-30's original stock (my actual gun is off at Accuracy Systems Inc., but the original stock was sitting in the closet). Of all the mini-30 hi cap mags, I've heard that Thermolds work.

I tried inserting the Thermolds in the original stock... wouldn't do it (and I'm sure not going to force this plastic mag in there). Knowing that my two aftermarket stocks accepted the previous hi cap mag, I'm sure the Thermolds will fit in them as well (Hogue Stock and Muzzelite bullpup).

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Scotty, did the factory 5 rd mag. fit in the wood stock? Is the 5 rd. factory mag thinner than one of your after market ones? This is what I've been trying to find out. If their new mag is thinner, then their messing with us, If it is the same, and won't fit either, then whoever made the stocks for ruger is messing with them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock 5 round goes in smoothely. The aftermarket hi cap mags are straight (kinda) up and down, while the 5 round mag has a contour (unfortuantely I can't look at them next to eachother because my 5 rounder is with my rifle at Accuracy Systems Inc).

Rugster said that the company said no changes were made to the mini-30 though (which is what I have), but that's what they said about the mini-14 too (from posts of calling the company and getting different answers).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts