Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I ran across a decent (these days) deal on Herter's .223 55 gr FMJ for $.35 a round at Cabelas.com. Apparently, this is actually Russian Tula steel case polymer coated ammo.

Has anyone used this stuff in a newer Mini? I have a 582 Ranch Rifle. I know Minis are fine with steel case ammo, but I'm concerned about the polymer coating.

Any feedback is appreciated.

T

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have had issues with Tula/Herters after 500 or so rounds. It is very dirty, and fouls the chamber. It is also a bit underpowered. This combination has caused cases to get stuck in the chamber instead of ejecting as they should. The rims of the casings have also been broken off by my extractor.

I have never had issues with Tula in 7.62x39 in my AKs. Only with .223 in my Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses folks. I had heard varying things about this ammo in Minis, but as always, I come to PU for the straight dope.

Sounds like I should maybe at least run a boresnake through the Mini during extended range sessions with this ammo.

I'll post a range report here once I get this stuff out for a session.

T

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I shoot it for training and range ammo but I don't use it plinking around in the desert. The bullets are steel jacketed with a thin copper wash and will spark hitting rocks. An accidental wild fire is not on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Do sand and rocks burn?
No, but sage brush and tumble weeds sure do and the cheat grass burns like you poured gas on the ground and lit it up. Wild fire around these parts ain't no joke. I have fought a couple with a dozer and felt the heat a few times, pretty scary. The high desert is not just sand and rocks, its a tinder box that only takes a spark to turn into a fast moving inferno.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have shot a lot of the tula in my 185 with no trouble. but i scrub my guns after each outing. the trouble with steel case in the mini begins whene the rifle starts getting dirty. just keep them clean and they will be fine. anyone shooting 500rds of tula with no cleaning would have a very dirty rifle indeed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Six boxes at walmart?....Wow. My son and I went to the wally world here the other day and they had six boxes of Tula on the shelf. I grabbed three and my son grabbed the other three ( limit of three per person). We went to check out. It was about 5 minutes till 10:00pm. The clerk sold me my three boxes but would not sell my son the three he had because it was after 10:00 PM.....:eek:....Unbelievable? Anyway, I have three boxes of Tula and three boxes of Herters (by the way both have the same Tula stamp on the bottom of the casing ). I plan on shooting them through my 582 Mini 30 tomorrow. I have only shot brass cased boxer primed ammo through it so far but wanted to give some berdan primed stuff a try. I will post my result.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to try it out this weekend. I've been spoiled by the very clean, albeit expensive Winchester ammo I've been running. Oh well. Glad I got a Mini.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I think its garbage and would rather take a beating than shoot steel cased ammo in any of my guns. Its junk. With my buffers installed on the op rod and gas tube it will not cycle steel cased ammo. Its not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have put a couple thousand rounds through my 581 ranch with only two fte's. Ripped the lip off the case both times, but it was also after several hundred rounds without cleaning. A good chamber cleaning and was gtg. Now I just run brass, but if all I can get is Tula I wont hesitate.

Eric

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.