Perfect Union banner
14K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Ballenxj 
#1 ·
Ok, I just joined today and saw this place to post pics so here is mine. I'm really enjoying reading and looking at the pictures here. You guys are good people!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
KichiMark - Thanks for the suds and for the nice compliment. I bought this gun about 6 months ago so I could have something inexpensive to shoot. All my other guns are centerfires and some of them are really expensive to shoot since I don't reload. I would like to reload but right now I'm living in an apartment and don't have any extra space.

Anyway, Thanks for the comment and I'm sure I'll be talking to you on here sometime in the future.

Happy Shooting!

#4 ·
Originally posted by rugmar@Aug 9 2005, 08:53 AM
I would like to reload but right now I'm living in an apartment and don't have any extra space.

Rugmar-
I started reloading in an apartment. Here's what you do. Get a black and decker workmate folding work stand. Mount your press, powder dispenser, etc. When you're done the reloading session, fold it up and put it in the closet. No complaints from the wife. :sniper:

#5 ·
So... If you don't count your time.. what would you say you save by reloading. I mean I'm sure it depends on what caliber and all that but just in general. Half price or so?

I have one gun in particular (450 marlin) that is real expensive to shoot. I'm sure I could benifit greatly on that one.

#6 ·
Beautiful little Carbine you have there.

They are great little weapons. I have FIVE of them.

Good Shooting!

#7 ·
Rugmar>> Thats one hell of a nice looking rifle. I have a 10/22 with black barrel and receiver, and I suppose that you bought your in "silver" (what is the proper name for it ?)

Anyway, I would really like one in "silver", but due to Swedish gunlaws it is difficult to buy a new one. Any idea of how to paint it ? ;)

What is that you have on the upper hand of the barrel, strecthing from front of the scope ? Looks like a handguard, but how did you attach it ? Looks really beutiful.

#8 ·
Originally posted by rugmar@Aug 9 2005, 07:57 PM
So... If you don't count your time.. what would you say you save by reloading. I mean I'm sure it depends on what caliber and all that but just in general. Half price or so?

I have one gun in particular (450 marlin) that is real expensive to shoot. I'm sure I could benifit greatly on that one.
Rugmar-
Sorry to be so late in responding...........
After recouping the cost of the reloading components and consumables(powder, bullets, primers), I can load 20 super match-prepped .223 rounds for about 3-4$. And this ammo shoots sub-moa in my mini. 20 premium rounds for .223, of match-type quality can cost upward of 30$. For obscure or really exp. carts, the savings can be HUGE!! Although I don't own one, 600 nitro express costs over 150-175$ for 20 rounds-sheesh!! I figured I could re-load for prob 30-50$. A considerable cost-savings.
The best part, however, is that you can load custom ammo, tailored for your rifle, and reap the benefits of accuracy and performance that few, if any factory ammo can come close to.

BTW- Most of my equip. is lee, widely regarded as cheap junk. Cheap it may be, but it also loads some very good stuff. Just about all my rifles shoot MOA or near MOA, owing largely to the cutom ammo, and the gunsmithing mods I've made.
Try it, I bet you'll like it and get hooked in short order!!!

:sniper:

#9 ·
Carl - First of all, Welcome to PerfectUnion! Thanks for the nice comments on my little Ruger. The barrel is stainless steel and the receiver and various other parts are clear anodized aluminum, I think. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

The handguard I found online at Cabela's, listed under 10/22 accessories. It attaches with 4 small wood screws which go into the top edges of the stock. The bad part is you cannot take it off without exposing the four holes but then again, it's not a thousand dollar gun either so who really cares about that? They do make it for blued guns like yours as well.

As for your question about paint, .... I'm not really sure. I have seen some things here about different finishes and if something is available, someone on here can help you out. Guys?

Thanks again for your comments and again, Welcome!

2rangers - Thanks for the info on reloading. I figured a guy could save a ton of money reloading. As you mentioned, especially on some calibers. I saw something the other day that was about 3.50 per shot. .458 Lott I think it was. I bet you don't shoot that without reloading them yourself.

I'm sure at some point I'll take the plunge and start reloading. When I do I will probably hit you up with all sorts of questions. :lol:

Thanks again!

#11 ·
Updated picture of my 10/22 and it's roommate. I put Volquartsen bolt handles and recoil assemblies in both, Volquartsen recoil buffers and extractors in both, Bell and Carlson Ext Mag releases in both and did the auto bolt release mod on both. They both have the Eagle handguards with heli-coil mounts. Next up is Trigger work on both of them. The Scope on the SS gun is a Nikon 4 x 32 and the Scope on the blued gun is a Burris SpeedDot 135 with the 3MOA dot.

I'm in the market for my 3rd 10/22 now. When I get it I want to either mount it in a Federal Ordnance underfolder or do a Camo paint scheme on the factory stock. Anyone have a picture of a 10/22 in the Federal Ordnance underfolder?

Attachments

#13 ·
Tapco for 10/22

I stepped a little outside of what I traditionally like and bought a Tapco stock for a 10/22. I'm usually a big fan of wood and blued or wood and stainless so this was big for me. Soooo...I wasn't sure I wanted to donate one of my existing 10/22's to this new stock so I just went out and purchased a new 10/22 carbine at Dick's sporting goods. Anything to justify buying another gun ya know.:lol:

Anyway, here is how it turned out. I'm not real sure about the scope I have on it at the moment. I'm sure it will work OK for this rifle but I'm just not sure it's the right touch. Suggestions anyone?

Attachments

#14 ·
Nice looking stock and rifle! I'd suggest, with that kind of stock, you might consider putting either some kind of red dot sight, or an intermediate range scope that is more compact, say a 1-6x, or 2-7x, that's only about 9 to 10" long. It'll be more suited to that tactical look, and to the size of the rifle.

One good example of a good piece of glass that's affordable is the Burris Fullfield II Tactical 2-7x35 scope, which you can get for around $215. I've heard many users at Ar15 say it has glass as bright as Leupolds costing twice as much, and yet it's affordable, light, and looks sharp on a tactical looking rifle.

Here's the Burris scope at Midway.

#15 ·
Thanks for the link Tim. I think that is probably exactly what it needs. I'm a big fan of Burris already and have always had good luck with their products. I think the smaller size would definately look better. This scope that is on there now has been on three different guns and has had some trouble in the past with the crosshairs sticking in the up/down turret. Good reasons to buy a new scope huh?

Thanks again.

#16 · (Edited)
Nice looking 10/22. How do you like the feel of it shouldered?

What ever optical scope you use make sure it is a "Rimfire" scope or adjustable objective, or your accuracy will not be consistant due to the parallax in a centerfire scope without AO.

Determine what type of shooting you will do. For the std barrel a lower power scope will be ok. The lower power gives the shooter more field of view and faster target acquisition. A red dot is another option.

If you move to a match barrel, and want very precise accuracy then a target scope will serve you better. They are larger than hunting scopes, with finer reticle, and target turrets for windage, and elevation. You can see your bullets fly at 16-18 power, yep they cost more too.

BTW I'm merging your threads as in the Gallery each member is allowed 1 thread.

#18 ·
Very nice! Darn it stinks being under 18 and having a mother that hates guns! Im joining the military at 17 though, so ill see if i can talk them into getting me one before i leave! (Im 16 in 5 months)

Very sharp though, i like the traditional looking Rugers better then the "target" models. Just something about that stock......

#22 ·
Yeah, it's a flash hider. That 10/22 flash is huge you know!

I had bought a die and thread alignment tool to use when I chopped and threaded my Mini-14's barrel. I decided to do this one too. Cut it to 16.25 and threaded it to 1/2-28. Just gives it a little different look.

#24 ·
nice 10-22's, i'll have to get a pic of mine up soon when i have time. i started out with a buffer pin and a Hogue overmolded stock with a Bushnell Trophy Red dot scope, then switched stocks to a BC folder and a friend gave me a compensator for it for that "tech" look, lol.

love my 10-22, best $200 rifle you can spend $3,000 on.... they are fun and cheap to shoot for sure.

Ranger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.