Perfect Union banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Loved the M14

In truth, although the M-14 is not great for CQB, it is the very best combat rifle the USMC has ever had. With iron sights it is accurate to 750 yards.

And the cartridge itself is perfect for killing people and small deer.

The only combat rifle that even compares favorable with it is the Japanese 6.5 mm.
Drafted in 66. Only got to shoot the M-14 in basic training. Just loved that RIFLE ! I could hit anything with it. Knocked down all the targets at 500 meters. Could have shot a perfect score but was on KP most of the time and missed much of the training with it. Still shot the best score in the battalion at that time.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,935 Posts
Drafted in 66. Only got to shoot the M-14 in basic training. Just loved that RIFLE ! I could hit anything with it. Knocked down all the targets at 500 meters. Could have shot a perfect score but was on KP most of the time and missed much of the training with it. Still shot the best score in the battalion at that time.
You just replied to a post from 2016.

It's an interesting thread though.

Thanks for reviving it.

Reactions: Jonjeo

·
Registered
232 Posts
I lost interest when the author started slinging about the "assault weapon" phrase.
Yes, it seems pretty obvious that there are 'better' rifles for precision, lethal, long range sniping, if that is the only criteria.

·
Patron Saint of Rye
557 Posts
I lost interest when the author started slinging about the "assault weapon" phrase.
Yes, it seems pretty obvious that there are 'better' rifles for precision, lethal, long range sniping, if that is the only criteria.
There are better options for anything the military needs to actually do with a rifle.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,935 Posts
In this excellent and highly readable little book, Chris Kyle covers the problematic M14 toward the end of his chapter on the M1 Garand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQZQWY/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i1

He really didn't think highly of the M14........at all.

I think it's unfair to say the M14 was great because it was better than the M16.

The M16, at least in its early years--could not be called a success--at all.

Kyle does have great praise for the M1 Garand.

I shot the M1 in boot camp and I must agree with him........it just felt natural and I was amazed at how easy it was to smoke those targets. I left wishing I could shoot it more.

·
Registered
953 Posts
....I shot the M1 in boot camp and I must agree with him........it just felt natural and I was amazed at how easy it was to smoke those targets. I left wishing I could shoot it more.
You've got to be referring to the feel & balance of the M1 vs. the M14 because they both have the same bolt, gas & trigger mechanism do they not?

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,935 Posts
You've got to be referring to the feel & balance of the M1 vs. the M14 because they both have the same bolt, gas & trigger mechanism do they not?
Never shot an M14 so I couldn't make any comparisons between the two.

Just loved the M1.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts