Perfect Union banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I entered the Army in March, 1967. The issue rifle was the M14. Like with a helmet, you simply get used to the weight. I remember easily qualifying expert with it.

Entered OCS later that year and recall barely achieving expert with a M16. Too light and whippy.

Served with the 101st Airborne in I Corp during 1968 and into 1969. The M16 was our only option. To avoid failures we swapped out ammo and magazines for new ones whenever we could; loaded only 18 rounds in the magazines and cleaned them every day.

I have a Ruger Mini 14. At the age of 69 I appreciate light weight and low recoil for the casual shooting I do now. I chose the Mini because if I ever need to I'm sure I could reliably run several hundred rounds through it without a cleaning. Can't say that about a lot of AR's. I lucked out and got a Mini 14 that happens to shoot small groups if I do my part. From time to time I look at the M1A's, but I am happy with what I have.

·
Operation:Mindcrime
3,036 Posts
Meant to comment on this a while ago.

So its the worst DMR. - Problem, it is not a DMR, it is a main battle rifle, that in certain cases was modified to fill the DMR roll. Outdated when it came out, by what? Gotta be a crappy rifle since its never used in competition!:rolleyes:

Main battle rifles and assault rifles are different creatures. I guess he doesnt understand the range and stopping dynamics.:wacko:

Yes the M1 carbine has terrible kick. It has nothing to do with a weak cartridge and multiple layers on clothing. Military said so, so it must be true!:rolleyes:

Note he says bridges the gap between the M4 and the M24. Well I would say more like a full size m-16 and the M-24. His argument really starts to fail here. You did what you asked the M-14 to do, and it did it.

If its in a Sage EBR chassis system, why would it be glued. Second, not all where in chassis.

Accuracy is not a measure of consistency, precision is!

Camp Perry dumped the M14, really, did someone tell Camp Perry????????

The M1A is sooo bad, and useless, that Springfield Armory is even holding there own shooting category.

Just to toss it in there, the AR10 came first!

No additional training is needed either. So they just train our boys to shoot an m-16 or m-4, then give them a AR10, and set them loose on the battle field.

Oops, almost forgot, what about bolt guns? Eh, nevermind

This has got to be one of the stupidest, most ignorant, uniformed pieces I have ever read.

·
Operation:Mindcrime
3,036 Posts
I almost forgot, of course you can carry more bullets. The round is for varmints, so ya gotta shoot the BGs more times!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was one of the very last units to go through USMC boot camp with the M14 including rifle range. We did get to fire 16's on that night fire thing when they allowed visitors and you got to fire tracer rounds. As I was getting out Oct 10, 1973, the new MCRD units were coming in with M16's. I shot 248 out of 250 expert with an off the rack 14 (an H & R). When I went to my unit A battery 1/10 2nd Mar Div, we had M16's. They were POS.

I must admit they made a great hose, but reaching out and touching someone, accurately, not happening. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with my 16. I didn't miss with the 14. That is exactly why they ended up bringing them back in the early 2000's as the limitations of the original AR design and 5.56 became apparent. One thing that bugs me is that all the 16's were full auto back in my day. You might be able to carry more rounds for the same weight (prime reason for approving them), but I know most would go through that in a flash spraying and praying. I believe that was why the Marines went to the three round burst version (A2?). One tends to aim more with a 14 and hit what they aim at.

I must admit, that the M4 in urban warfare appears to be the best use of the AR platform in 5.56. Few targets more than 25 yards away and short easy to maneuver in tight places. I note the Marines are probing getting rid of theirs with that new M27 platform. I don't think they have ever loved the AR platform in 5.56 but may have found a core improvement still with the same manual of arms. They are being careful with how they approach it, but you can see that they would like it for all Marines. I think they want it as their primary assault rifle. And it will reach out and touch someone much more effectively is my understanding. Wikipedia has a bit under combat reviews on it. For a failed weapon though the M14 is still around addressing the shortcomings of the AR/5.56 platform that have been there since the beginning. It was a flawed platform (retrofitting the "forward assist assembly" from the gitgo and that "alteration" was nothing more than fixing a fatal flaw of the original design. As you can tell, I do not own any black guns unless you consider my mini 14 one. "Old School"

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
RedFour, first of all, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

Your comments are prescient! Both the M-16 and M14 formats have their appropriate role. Urban combat favors the M-16; something a bit further is more appropriate for the M-14, or at least a firearm chambered for the .308.

I learned in JROTC shooting on the M1 Garand and the M14 - both wonderful weapons, and far preferred over the M-16. But there is something valid about how many rounds you can carry and the anticipated target. It is, unfortunately, a logistics thing.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
You do not need a 30-06 cartridge to kill a man.

The 308 is plenty from 750 yards.

And 750 yards is plenty of distance.
Don't need a 12.7x99mm either. But it works, and works very well. Follow up shots generally not needed;). And 7.62 nato and m2ball are balistically interchangeable.
Life begins at triple-0. If I'm in a shooting fight, I want to be as far as reasonably possible away. Say, at least 1400 meters. Combat has nothing to do with sporting. Besides, it's fun to watch the reaction when someone's squadmate or terrorist brother gets turned into jello pudding, and they have no clue where the shot came from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup!

Don't care what the article says I always liked the M 14, and as in the article the men who carried one in Iraq an Afghanistan liked them too.
Better rifles will always come along but the M 14 has its place and in this "spray and pray"
combat world the guy with the M14 stands tall.
I was a Squad Designated Marksman with the M14EBR. For us it was for over watch with a good Leupold scope and a lethal round.

20 rounds downrange at distance with lethality, fast. I'm pretty sure that's how it was explained to me without using a bunch of cuss words. This is only my second post on this forum. But, yeah. The M14 stands tall.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Redfour, I also shot expert with the M-14 but with the M-16 in 1969 I also shot expert with it and had an even higher score. The targets only went to 400 meters instead of 600 so that helped but most were very accurate then. I do not know what happened with you and your rifle. Maybe you got worn out guns as some others did and reported issues. My AR's all shoot under 2.0 MOA. and some under 1.5 MOA or better.
But I realize not everyone gets that level of accuracy for several reasons.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Loved the .50 cal spotter round from a 106mm RR. Best sniper rifle, ever.
The 105(106) RR used to break firing pins alot, though. When they worked, they were awesome. :lol:

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
2, was in 2/1 Inf (9th ID, Ft Lewis) in the mid '70s when they took away our 106s and replaced them with TOWs. We were very unhappy. Held onto our 90mm RRs until I left in '79 (still had to receive the DRAGON in '78). Loved our '90s, particularly the beehive round (good for clearing fields of fire).

Was the BMO for the Bn for a while. Don't recall firing pin problems, but do recall 4.2" sight problems, and their non-availability...A lifetime ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In Afghanistan my platoon, a regular infantry platoon with the 101st ABN had one M14 EBR per squad. After over a dozen failures of my M4 in just one afternoon including a bolt over ride I carried a M14 until the end of the tour. I hated that stupid stock but loved the rifle. The issue people are having is an obvious one. If you are using linked ammo you took off your M240B belts since loose ammo is impossible to find in your AO of course it isn't "match grade". Anybody who thinks it should be is in denial.

With that dumb stock there is no bedding to mess up. It just bolts together. I found it interesting though that the "operator level" maintenance clearly stated that you are NOT to remove the upper handguard.

A basic combat load, 210 rounds, is not much heavier than the 5.56 and when you know for sure that your rifle will shoot 100% of the time that means something. When we were able to "aquire" match 7.62x51 ammo it was like a gift from the heavens and the M14's were the best firearms out there. We carried close to double the basic load and I can tell you I was happy to do it.

YMMV but whoever wrote that trash has obviously never actually used a M14 in combat. Just saying...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Voyager:
Since you have experience with the m-14 I've got a question. I recently purchased a Springfield M1A and I've had problems inserting and ejecting magazines. The rifle came with 1 factory mag and I've purchased several others. The mags are difficult to insert and have to be pulled out after releasing them? I've done modifications to get them to function as I think they should. Did the standard M14 drop the mags when the release is pressed? I expected the mags to work like they do on the mini 14. They're easy to insert and latch and drop out when the release is depressed.
Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
right much a dead thread you might PM him for response or leave visitor message on his profile.

welcome to the forum.

·
Thoughtcriminal
106 Posts
I've got a question. I recently purchased a Springfield M1A and I've had problems inserting and ejecting magazines.....The mags are difficult to insert and have to be pulled out after releasing them? I've done modifications to get them to function as I think they should. Did the standard M14 drop the mags when the release is pressed? I expected the mags to work like they do on the mini 14. They're easy to insert and latch and drop out when the release is depressed.
Thanks
Frank
Frank

M14 and M1A magazine insert and remove technique are in a class by themselves.

Magazine insert requires the magazine top be tilted slightly to the rear, inserted into the mag well, then pulling the bottom of the mag to the rear until it latches into place.

Mag removal by grasping the mag box, press and hold the mag latch forward with the thumb, then push the bottom of the mag forward until it unlatches.

Basically think of the top, forward corner of the mag as a pivot point. Nothing happens unless you are using that pivot point and moving the base of the mag thru an arc.

M14 mags will not lock in when inserted straight up.

They will not fall free when the mag release is pressed.

Do not modify the magazines.

Do not grease anything other than what the manual tells you to.

It will get a little easier as the as the sharp edges and Parkerizing wear down.

In National Match Course competition you have 60 seconds to fire 10 rounds rapid fire from the sitting position - this starting from standing with a required magazine change. Two rounds in the 1st mag and eight in the 2nd.

With practice it can be done quickly and efficiently.

Reactions: 2rangers
21 - 40 of 68 Posts