Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Interestingly, postwar investigations suggested the M1 Carbine's light weight and high cyclic rate of fire were more responsible for this lack of stopping power than the cartridge itself - meaning, most soldiers simply missed their targets because of the gun's recoil.
WTF??? That para sorta made me somewhat skeptical of the rest of the article.

·
Banned
5,882 Posts
Is this the failure of a Military Rifle? Or better yet is this the success of the Lobbyist who work for the trade unions and arms companies who need more government contracts. I find it interesting this news is being released 3 months before an election.

·
M14 guy
990 Posts
A few facts that are not included is this poorly researched article.

1. Was the AR-10 meant to be a sniper or DMR platform when it was developed in the 1950s? No it wasn't.

2. There really isn't anything wrong with the M14, this is more of a training issue & desire for similar manual of arms.

3. The M14 EBR came into being in 2000, BUT it didn't get any serious backing / funding until 2010 when TACOM started building the highly successful M14EBR-RI.

Also:

"The Infantry School and the Army Marksmanship unit both actively campaigned against the reintroduction of the M14 because if successful it would have taken money away from newer weapons that would have taken years to develop and field. We needed a solution in 2001 and at the time the M14 original rifle was the only approved 7.62mm auto loading rifle in the inventory." * Lw Worrell

Sabotaged from within, just as I always suspected. I wonder how many American lives were lost due to this internal struggle...

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/SIL/Combat_Arms_2011_Rock_Island.pdf

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's a good thing the US military is getting rid of the M14 - Business Insider

"The M14 is one of the worst DMRs in history, and should have never been adopted by the military."

I thought you guys may like this one.
In truth, although the M-14 is not great for CQB, it is the very best combat rifle the USMC has ever had. With iron sights it is accurate to 750 yards.

And the cartridge itself is perfect for killing people and small deer.

The only combat rifle that even compares favorable with it is the Japanese 6.5 mm.

·
Banned
5,882 Posts
Too bad they will not sell these to American civilians. These are classed as Machine Guns. I expect the BATFE would block such sales. Our government does not trust us? Whoa!! Maybe the government fears it's citizens. No! would they do that??

·
Patron Saint of Rye
545 Posts
While there are some factual issues with the article, the bulk of it is on. Time for the M-14's to go away and be replaced with M110's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like my brothers above stated, I carried a M14 in Vietnam for two tours with the 3rdMarDiv. (67/68/69). I considered myself lucky to be in a situation that allowed me to fend off having to trade my M14 for a Mattey Mattel POS, When the XM16E1 was issued to our units,

My M14 NEVER failed to go bang, unlike the Mattey Mattel. Many a fire fight I had to give my sidearm to a Marine with a single shot automatic rifle.

If I went to war today, I believe I would get my SCAR Mk16s big brother, the Mk17 in 7.62 NATO. If restricted to iron sights, my M1A/M14 would be fine. The M14 is not practical when optics are needed.

There is a reason no other serious military gun maker world wide uses gas impingement, not practical in a combat weapon. Fine for amateurs and/or low intensity combat purposes, but not high intensity combat, where the M16-M4's still regularly fail.

Who ever wrote the article was at best ignorant, at worst propagandizing.

Go figure.

Fred

·
Registered
61 Posts
As someone who put new nine out of ten shots in the same hole with an off the rack M-14, I would say this article sells the M-14 short. One of my best friends was a sniper in Nam using a scoped M-14. He has high praise for it and pictures of him and his M-14 are in three books on Vietnam. A least one book tells of his exploits in combat with it.
While I agree that the M-16 is even more accurate, the M-14 is as good or better than any other rifle in it's vintage. I would not dispute that new AR10 type rifles may be an improvement, the M-14 has served extremely well considering it is designed to be a main battle rifle.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts