Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the look and feel of the Henrys. I was looking at the Henry in .22 mag and in 44. mag recently. I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom on this brand with regard to reliability , accuracy, and quality as compared to Winchester and maybe Marlin?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got it. I have been toying with the idea of a pump .22 as well. When I was a kid, and my grandfather up in Pennsylvania died, my family went up to receive what he left to my mom. Unfortunately, her brothers and sisters had taken everything. Almost. They didn't see the antique shotgun or old pump Winchester .22 in the closet. I found them. Unfortunately, my parents worried that me and my brothers would fight over them, sold them. I have always wanted a pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do NOT buy a Henry. This is fair warning on saving you some money. Those little Henry rifles look slick and they shoot well. The action is also very durable. Also, they tend to be fairly accurate. So why am I recommending against the Henry? Because of their finish on the frame. The gun isn't a "true blue." It's more of a baked on enamel. After a year or so, it'll be so scratched up and chipped, you'll be at the range mumbling "My, uhh, WIFE has been shooting it" just to save yourself the embarressment of it from the other shooters looking at it in distaste. The price for getting the finish restored is to the point that for a little more, you could just buy a new Henry. If you want a good lever action .22, I'd go with either the Marlin or the Winchester. I myself prefer the Marlins, but to each their own. Even Rossi's .22s are better than the Henry as far as durability. Ruger's lever action .22 (which is basically just the 10/22 with a lever action instead of a semi-auto action) is good also, even though it seems strange seeing a lever sticking out the bottom of that "modern" stock.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just want to carry on my tractor and four wheeler to shoot varmints or what ever,don't care what it looks like,just want it to function.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, I can understand the "I don't care about the appearances, i just want it to function" line of thinking. But if you lose the finish, the underlying metal will eventually start corroding from the elements attacking it. That's why they put a finish on a firearm to begin with. To make it more durable. The pleasing appearance is just a by-product. Go with something that will last. Buy quality over quanity. And the price difference isn't that great between the Henry and the others.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, I'm developing a mania against Henry. I don't like the nylon/plastic internal parts, don't like the finish nor anything I hear about them from my cowboy pards.

If you want a 22 lever gun, buy a Marlin. That specific design has been in production since 1897 and is as foolproof as a design cna be. No Other model f firearm has been in production longer. The Marlin comes predrilled for receiver sight or scope mounts and will "take down" for packing. It will also perfectly feed longs, shorts, and long rifles intermixed in the same magazine tube.

Second on my list would be the Ruger 10/22. Second, because it won't take anything but long rifles, and only hold 10 in the magazine.

Third, look at the Taurus M62 pump. It is a clone of the old Winchester M62. It takes down into two pieces - the longest of which is 20" long and it too is a tackdriver. I put a $20 BSA Red Dot on mine and the guy will NOT let me shoot that rifle in our plinking games / dueling tree, etc as they swear thet it gives me too great an advantage (they just won't admit that I'm "that much" a better shooter than they are).

But, a Henry???? No thanks, I'll pass.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have the Henry .22LR and .22Mag along with the little pump .22 with dual sliderails which is a plus to me.They all shoot great.And have very nice walnut stocks,Ive owned the .22LR Lever gun for about 3yrs and it still looks as good as the day I bought it.I havent had the other two that long the .22 Mag about a yr and the Pump .22 about six months,but they have all digested alot of ammo.I cant wait to hunt squirels with the Pump Model this yr.All I can say is I hope I dont encounter any of the problems mentioned above.Both the pump .22 and the Lever .22 will accept short,Longs or Long Rifle ammo!

Best!! :usa:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts