Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have decided to hunt with a mosin nagant 91/30 and i have a few ? for the experts. I have done a few modifications. The bolt has been made over, the barrel has been cut to 20in and threaded with a jp brake installed. i am shooting 7.62x54 180 grain softpoint winchester ammo. So what can i expect from this rifle in this state? How far a shot is to far? and what kind of knock down power do you think.. Powder burn? velosity? I have changed alot. the lower pics will be the new stock when i get the proto type adjustable trigger with safety to play with from tmney triggers.
the barrel is threaded and was done by tornado ind, The new stock will not only be glassbed but it has been drilled out for the piller bedding i have. I also have replaced the slotted screws with the allen kit for max lock onto the pillars.also the barrel will free float, by using a 12mm deep socket some sand paper and sliding a dollar bill back and forth under the barrel till it slides nicely without hanging up. This one has not been shot yet, it came from classic arms and the bore was rated nra ex. I know the powder burns to 24 in. so i am expecting a muzzle flash. i am hoping to get out to a 300 yard shot, but i dought i would shoot past 200. I am hoping to get a 30/06 knock down power

·
Registered
609 Posts
Don't have your answers but your rifle is interesting. What did you do to the bolt?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i sent it off yo the boltman, back east and 12 weeks later and 55 bucks poorer i got a work of art in my mailbox

·
Banned
34,705 Posts
Boltman does the state of the art with those bolts, alright.

I've read the 7.62x54r is ballistically somewhere between .308 and 30.06. Your barrel is cut down to approx M44 length and you already know it won't be obtaining the maximum velocity potential. I don't know whether that's ideally sufficient for elk, but if you can confirm that the M38 or M44, which people do use for hunting, is good for elk, yours will be too.

Here is someone with a somewhat similar idea:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/mosinscoutrifle/index.asp

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have no doubt that the180 762x54r will kill an elk drt if you put that bullet where it needs to go, most people that use cannons flinch so badly with them that they could not hit the side of a barn standing inside with the door closed. i have a 91-30 that I would not be afraid to hunt elk with.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, where did you get that mount?
And.., if you don't get the accuracy you want in the Winchester, people have very good reports on the Silver Bear 174 grain. Mosin's can be picky. Also, look at the Norma's - worth the price for what you want to do. 54r should be more than enough for Elk. Very nice rifle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts