Perfect Union banner

Help with powder type.

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  DKRichards 
#1 ·
Hi,
I "Found" a load that will shoot 1 1/4 inches in my mini, that's the good news. The fly in the ointment is it's not mine. I bought a box of 50 commercial reloads from Miwall a few years ago and forgot about them. Well, I ran across them the other day and thought what the heck. Wouldn't you know they would shoot better than anything else I've tried.
Since there is no very little chance of being able to buy more from the same lot I took a couple apart. It's a Hornady 55 gr. sp with a crimp and 25 gr. of powder that looks like 748. I don't think it is though because 25.5 gr. of 748 won't cycle the action in my mini with a 50 gr. Vmax. (I have the small gas bushing in it from Mike.)
Do you think 5 gr. of bullet weight would make enough difference to cycle the action? The loading manuals generally list a starting load at around 26 gr. so it's on the light side. (Winchester listed 26 gr as max) Everyone else starts there.
Anybody have an Idea of another powder that looks like 748? I know there are at least 4 of 5 ball powders out there that a 25 gr. be max or less.
It would be great to duplicate this load without buying every ball powder out there. I assure you I have no interest in blowing my gun up to find a good load though.
Barring that, does anyone have a favorite powder?

It's cool knowing that my gun will shoot that good, now I just have to find a load I can make myself.

Thanks for any help.
John.

Ps. I'm also registered as Jwb, but it won't let me post anymore. I get logged on, the it kicks me right back off. I couldn't find a way to talk to the people running the board, so just made a new account. Anybody know why I can't post under my old name?
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I like 748. It's served me very well so far. What does the medium bushing do? My rifle is not loose enough to use the small bushing yet. It would pop the bolt back about enough to get the empty lodged between the bolt face and the receiver every time. I went to the medium and started piling brass at 1-2 o'clock and 10-15 feet.

#3 ·
Not sure what the medium bushing does. When I first got them I tried it out with factory ammo and it was still kicking brass quite away, so I went to the small one. That one has always worked with factory ammo, so I just left it in. The 25.5 gr load with a 50 gr Vmax is the only handload that I have actually put togeather and it wouldn't cycle.
John

#6 ·
Hey JWB, Ya think you might have deleated all your cookies? including the one containing your password? What message did it give you when it kicked back?

When you are working up loads your gas pressure will vary so your recoil will vary, also changing types of factory ammo, same thing. When I work up loads I kinda grin and bare it till I get the load worked out. I have been using the largest of the bushings, now I need to readjust to the medium bushing. As my mini loosens up more I may drop down to the smaller one. It is easy to adjust once you have a stable load or loads, switch to the bushing which gives you the best performance, remember to gap, and torque the gas block halves;)

P.S. If you are trying to duplicate a crimped load, it is recommended you work up your loads crimped also.

#8 ·
It's just a straight pull bolt with that load. I was kind of hoping to be able to just leave one bushing in and not have to switch back and forth, but if that's what it takes.

Anybody ever use BLC-2, or 2230?

Hey Cajungeo,
I probably did delete all my cookies when I defragged and cleaned my hard drive. Oops.
JWB

#9 ·
Madon, it just goes to show every mini is different. I tried your load, my mini didn't like it , glad it works for you.

Jw I've used BLC-2. my mini didn't care for it much, best group I got was 2". Yours may do better. If you are wanting to try a powder, my manuals, and a couple of reloaders on this forum have had good results with H335. I may try some myself.

If you delete your good cookies, all you have to do is re-enter your screen name, and password. The sites software will remember who you are, as we do.;)

#11 ·
I know you realy can't tell a powder just by looking at it, but I figured if the loading manuals say 25 gr of powder x is a safe load then I'd give it a try. I was just hoping to not have to buy a pound of a bunch of different powders to find a load that would shoot as good.
I've loaded pistol rounds for years and know not to start with a max load. Besides I have a bum right side and want to keep everything I have in working order. I like being semi semetrical. (Laugh)

I may buy a can of H335 though, if I can't make 748 shoot. I've read good things about it.
John

#13 ·
in my mini bl-c2 shoots well with 60gr v-max,varget and 52gr speer h.p. shoots 1 1/4". next i'll try h-335. from people i've talked to, that's what blackhills ammo uses. i want to bed the action and get rid of flyers before i go any further. acc. 2230 was consistant with 55gr speer fmj. not tight but alwas the same groups, good enough for the 'yotes in the yard.;)

#15 ·
Primex makes H335 and 748. Look on the containers. I have used 335 for years and have been very satisfied. 748 on the other hand is slower and good with heavier bullets. Allways use CCI Sm. Mag primers or the CCI Sm. Mil. rifle primers they offer very consistent ignition. Personally I use H335 or 748 @ 24 gr with a 62gr FMJBT with above primers and surplus cases. I get good results and not misfires. Be sure to FULL resize cases and TRIM to minimum case length specified. Good luck and good shooting!

#16 ·
I did go down and get some H335. It seems to be a little more accurate than 748 in my rifle, but I haven't played with either much yet. Plus there are no good ranges here, so just shooting off the hood of my truck with a jury rigged rest. Thats my excuse for poor shooting the last couple times out. I've had a couple decent groups start, then blow the last shot or two.
Hey, is everyone using small base dies? Mine are standard and some of the cases extract pretty hard. (Chambered a round and then unloaded the gun without firing it) I'm using once fired brass from my gun.
John. A.K.A. JWB2

#17 ·
Hey Jwb, I got some once fired LC. My std. dies, had the same problem. I got the small base dies, at least for the first (my first)firing. They chamber much better. Will try them next time with the std dye.

BTW Mike in oregon only neck sizes. I don't think my mini would extract unless full sizeing was done.

I have 3 types of brass, and have to keep them straight. Once fired somewhere LC, Brand new 92.2 grn LC, and Once fired winchester. The loads I work up are slightly different in each. I'm hoping to tweek my 1.15" average groups down a little more when I settle into the final load. I will get me some H335 to try.

#18 ·
Went up to the hills today for a drive and did a little shooting. I love the fall. Frost on the meadows etc.
26 gr. of H335, Fed brasss 55 gr. hornady sp/wc. 1.375" at 100 yards and just for fun I tried shooting a ground Squirrel target at 200 yards. 4.25", but my cross hairs damn near cover the head/upper body at that distance. (Cheap Redfied 3x9 scope, and 20-30 vision with glasses) I’m sure the rifle is better than I am.
John

#21 ·
I hope to be where you are soon Ivan. So far I've shot up all my reloads, in development. I have a promising load with 22 gr of reloader 7. I just picked up a couple more bottles from the warehouse to tweek, and settle in for a final load. Also picked up a bottle of H 335, and H322 to try.

I like my sierra 63 gr sp for coyotes, and will develope a lighter, faster, (52 gr balistic tips) for smaller critters. My back up factory load is Winchester varmit 45 gr. Cheep and 1.5" average groups.

MoaDave, I like the idea of a reload forum, but we need some more interest. I count only 12 that admit to reloading. Most members shoot only factory ammo because its cheep, and easy. If you use the search button, key word "Reload" several posts should come up. See my new thread "Whats your pet reload?" in the accuracy forum.

#22 ·
I do use RCBS small base dies for all my semi-auto loading. BE sure to lube your cases well. Too much lube on the necks will cause lube dings (indentations) on the case shoulders. Tumble, clean cases before sizing and after sizing. Trim to recommended length. Deburr inside and outside. Load and fire. If you have any split necks, that is due to hardened brass. You can anneal your brass easily if you want to, but surplus brass is relatively cheap to buy. I have use AA2230 and it's OK. But I found surplus military powder WCC846 that is around BLC-2 Speed for around $87 for 8lbs, from www.wideners.com. That includes the hasmat fee. I'm satisfied, and I also use it in my .308. Good luck with your mini.

#24 ·
I have just started reloading for my Savage in 223 and will soon start reloading for my Mine 14. My ranch rifle is stock and has the 1/9 twist. I use an Ultradot on it.

Couple of questions:

- My Mini seems to really mash in the case mouth of the PMP cases I've been shooting. I'd say at least 75% are pretty closed up. If anyone else has this problem, how do you open the case mouth prior to sizing?

- My max COL looks to be about 2.265 inch (magazine limited); does that sound about right?

- For general shooting, what's a good economical load using 55 gr FMJs or 60 gr BTs? I will be loading on a Dillon 550 so metering is important.

Thanks.

#25 ·
Hey DK, I had the same problem with smashed necks, before I installed a smaller gas port bushing. I had to use a round phillips screwdriver to roll out the mouth to accept the die. After I replaced my gas port bushing no more smashed brass.:D

I like the lake city brass. It is already anealed, you can see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.