Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! First time posting here but been lurking around for a while now. I recently purchased a new mini 14 581 series. I picked put many tips and recommendations here. I recently changed the stock to a houge stock, bought a vortex strikefire for optics and a mo rod. I am having a few issues since buying this upgrade.

1. I have the strikefire mounted on the first scope mount closest to the barrel using a 30mm factory ruger mount. On the 5-6 rounds the strikefire would turn off by itself. The only way to turn it back on is to remove and reinsert the battery. At first I thought it was the recoil but vortex claims that the optic can handle the recoil with ease. My second thought is that the spent brass might be hitting the red dot. Anyone one else having the same issues?

2. Second issue with the strikefire when it would work. I cant zero the red dot. I first used a bore sighter as a starting point. Took it to the range to make final adjustments at 50 yards and my shots were always 1-3 inches high above the target no matter how much I adjust the elevation. My last option is to send the red dot back to vortex for warranty.

3. I took the mini to the range before buying the mo rod and I can hit a 8" target pretty well in 40-75 yards using iron sights. After installing the mo rod, all my shots are no where near hitting the target at the same distance. Maybe i need more practice or did I waste 90$ since the new barrels were improved from the previous model

Any feedback will be greatly appriciated

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
The scope can't adjust? I would try send it back.
On the MO rod, anything on the barrel will change point of impact. Try moving the rod forward until the clamp is 1/8" from the front sight, adjust back and forth for best group.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Re-adjust the sights to zero. Putting on the Mo-Rod stiffened the barrel and changed the POI a little. The same thing will happen if you put on a rubber Deresonator. Your POI may change if you run different ammo as well. I reload and when I switch powders I have to re-adjust on about any of my rifles. Pick an ammo or reload consistantly and stick with it. kwg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried re adjusting the mo rod numerous times and i still get the same results. At this point the mo rod is more cosmetic. Ill send my optics back for repairs. I was thinking of changing the optic to a low power scope. Anyone have any experience with the burris mtac fullfield II 1x4 24mm. Its 299$ at cabelas.

·
Banned
4,797 Posts
Primary arms 1.5-4x

Tried re adjusting the mo rod numerous times and i still get the same results. At this point the mo rod is more cosmetic. Ill send my optics back for repairs. I was thinking of changing the optic to a low power scope. Anyone have any experience with the burris mtac fullfield II 1x4 24mm. Its 299$ at cabelas.
Hello:
For a fraction of the price you should consider the Primary Arms 1.5-4x CQB scope. I have three of their products and they all hold zero and hold up to western Washington state rain. I have their Aimpoint knockoff, speed dot reflex, and the scope I'm suggesting.
I wouldn't hang anything off the barrel but that's just my opinion. I did cut, crown, and flash hider my 190 series stainless ranch and that really made improvements in the groupings. I shoot milsurp mixed ammo but I have moved to 62 grain projectiles for the best results.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Something to look at would be the 1-3x Weaver scope as well, little cheaper too.

It looks great on the minis!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Have you re-zeroed your iron sights? I have no doubt the Mo-Rod changed your POI. Once you get past that, you'll likely find it actually did improve your accuracy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts