Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since semi-autos are cost prohibitive these days, I've decided to take a longer look at my Mini 14 Series 184. To be honest, I really don't know much (read anything) about these. Rifle looks pretty much just like the pic below. There are no scope/sight mounts on it. I was originally considering an AR-15 and putting a scope and side mount or 45* iron sights on it along with a collapsible and/or folding stock.

As far as intended purposes for the gun, SHTF situations, fun at the range, possibly defense if I can't get to a pistol or shotgun first. I don't mind spending some cash to get the gun the way I want. I do really like the idea of having a scope AND short range sights, preferably with one on the side of the rifle, but will use see through mounts if I have to. A collapsible or folding stock is a must. I'm not a sharpshooter and am not really worried about a dime size groups at 100 yards, I'm guessing the gun is more accurate than me as is.

In any case I'm fishing for ideas and suggestions. Currently the best thing I have found is this: ATI Ruger Mini-14 Strikeforce - Buttstock & Forend Package: MSP Scope Mounts

· Registered
90 Posts

I am a fan of the mini as a mini. I'm not sure if they fit but Brownell's was selling the new factory tapered barrel and gas blocks. Match that up with an ultimak handguard and an aimpoint micro and that factory folder, you've got a sweet little shooter.
(The pic above is not mine but I share the owners aesthetic sensibilities)

· Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like you want to try and set up your mini like a "tacticool" AR. Don't. Accept the Mini for what it is, a solid reliable combat accurate semi automatic carbine. Capable of engaging mansized targets at the effective range of its caliber. For this purpose you don't need magnified optics or silly 45* mounted backup sights.K.I.S.S. , a scout mount and red dot would serve you well, with the addition of a strut mentioned above. Then put money in mags and ammo if you can find them. A good two point sling, and your mini will rock out just as effectvely as any AR or rediculously modified to be like an AR, Mini.
Just my opinion, from my experiences.

Eric

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
you could add a micro red dot (like the burris fastfire) to your tube type optic - they make ring mounts that clamp onto 1" or 30mm tubes for this purpose.

my Ar332 has a piggybacked Burris fastfire III on it. it's zeroed for 25 yards, the main optic is a fixed 3 power prism sight and is zeroed for 100

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll shamefully admit I do want to go in the direction of tacticool, but not go too far with it. As mentioned, I want a synthetic stock/forend for looks and weight reduction and also is collapsible/folding, along with a scope and back up sights. Easy things that will improve accuracy and not add noticeable weight will be looked at as well.

Another question, I may be able to trade my series 184 and a little cash for a series 580. The 580 has a silver barrel that appears thicker. Would this suit my purpose better?

· Registered
663 Posts
With a factory folder like that, I really would hate to trade it in. Even used, the stock alone is worth upwards of $300 to even $500, and the rifle worth $200-300. You do the math.

I strongly urge you to leave the gun as is and enjoy it for what it is.

If you want a tactical gun, then pick up a different rifle. Could be a newer mini 14/30 with a folding ATI stock or whatever, but do not ruin the one you have. Its a piece of american history

· Registered
298 Posts
There are several things one could do, without spending a bunch of money.

1). Re-tighten the gas block. Get a even gap and even tork on all the screws. That has helped many of Mini's.

2). Install a 1911 Recoil Buffer. Just a few bucks and its does actually help.

3). Instal a different gas port bushing. You can Figure out which works best and run with it. GunDoc sell's sets.

4). Barrel Stablizer...Either the Accu-Strut or Mo-Rod. Both will work well. Will help lessen the barrel whip that takes place, keeps the barrel harmonics consistant and works as a heat sink.

5). If you want a scope or red dot sight. The Amegia Scout rail is very cool. Replaces the top half of the gas block and allows options for optic's.

6). Bed the action to the stock. You can do it your self or again, GunDoc can take care of that for you. He has lots of experience with the Mini.

7). Add a flash hider or muzzle break. A little more weigth out on the end of the barrel will also lessen that barrel whip.

· Registered
648 Posts
For me, Fit is paramount. Does your Rifle fit you exactly? IS there a cheek weld with the optic or sights you prefer? IF not, fix that and shoot more accurately. For me, an aesthetically pleasing gun that doesn't fit is just wall dressing.

For me, ATI fixes the fit issues and now the gun shoots like It should because I shoot it better due to proper fit. I see pictures of minis and ARs tacticool and otherwise with what can't possibly be a viable cheek weld except for a giant person with a giant face. If that doesn't describe you, a cheek weld with an optic may rquire a rethink on a new stock. the ati is a good one, but not the only one. Get one that fits. If cheek weld is no big deal to you, any stock with correct length of pull you like will do.

God Bless!

Ron

· Registered
204 Posts
I second the other opinions, if you have a factory folder, leave it as is. If you want to help it out, get an accustrut, Choate handguard, and retorque the gas block. If you want an optic, I believe b-square makes a mount that fits in the ejector plate slot. Its a nice rifle, enjoy it for what it is and can be, and the tacticool urge will pass as soon as you start shooting it!

· Premium Member
3,450 Posts
You guys are all being rude. He wants a strikeforce... I will gladly trade you a strike force for that icky stock its already wearing just because thats the type of guy I am

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
You guys are all being rude. He wants a strikeforce... I will gladly trade you a strike force for that icky stock its already wearing just because thats the type of guy I am
Ignore this clown :lol:

also - to the OP,

there is NO SHAME in wanting what you want :) you want tacticool - go for it don't let anyone tell you what you want.

that being said, if your Mini has a original equipment factory folder on it.
it is worth a bit more than a run of the mill mini, especially if your serial number jives with the factory folder as OE.

the beauty of the mini is it takes about 2 minutes to change stocks - so as long as you don't do anything to the rifle that can't be undone, and you keep the folder for later... it'll retain it's value if you decide to part with it later... assuming of course you'll be able to sell/tranfer an evil "assault" rifle in the not too distant future :rolleyes: it is possible the retaining of value could be moot. if certain laws go through :(

since your mini is a 184 series - sight options are pretty limited (which is the main reason why my 185 GB is in a Troy MCS)

about your trade - i'd say if your 184 is equipped with a factory folder as original equipment, it's worth a straight across trade for a 580 series stainless mini ranch. no cash needed from you... IMHO. and yes, for optics mounting the 580 series is a better choice with it's scope mounting points on the receiver.

I totally understand the desire for such things as the ergonomics of a pistol grip, adjustable LOP, and the capability to mount modern optical sights.

that's why I went the route I went with my 185 Mini 14.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice so far guys.
After listening to the advice here and on another forum, I think I'll renegotiate the trade for the 580 series, IF I decide to stay with the mini 14. I say IF because I just found out I can do a little horse trading and get a great deal on a Benelli MR1.

Any input on this rifle? It seems that there really aren't many aftermarket options for it. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to put an adjustable/folding stock on one of these?

Most importantly, does this seem like a good choice for me? I've shot the rifle and love it, my only real complaint so far is that it's a bit heavy.

· Registered
1,978 Posts
If it's tacticool you're after, just be patient and buy an AR. There are signs that demand is decreasing some and they are out there at pre-Firearmageddon prices. At least if you're in Kentucky. If you're in the lost states, well, you're SOL. Vote with your feet and get out while the getting's good.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do live in KY, but am really leaning towards the series 580 mini 14. For one, it's not the common AR, and the deal on it frees up cash for getting a Rem 870 or Mossy 590 after I'm done with the mini.

Does anyone know if the ATI stock blocks the factory sights on the mini?

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I do live in KY, but am really leaning towards the series 580 mini 14. For one, it's not the common AR, and the deal on it frees up cash for getting a Rem 870 or Mossy 590 after I'm done with the mini.

Does anyone know if the ATI stock blocks the factory sights on the mini?
the ATI won't block the factory sights.

however, if it were me I'd save a little more money and drop a 580 in either an Archangel Sparta (it has an adjustable telescoping stock, but no folder)
put some magpul backup irons on it, a lower front rail and grip on it, and the optic of my choice.

OR

Save alot more money and drop it into a Clyde armory SCAR or Troy MCS with an Ace folder mechanism.

oh yeah - there are some other upgrades you might want to do - get a trigger job from gundoc, re torque your gas block if needed, and get one of these:
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/76067-official-tactical-magazine-release-thread.html definitely worth 35 bucks.
and an accustrut if the above don't get the rifle shooing 2".

the boys that say "if you want all the bells and whistles buy an AR" forget for a second that a mini in a ergonomic tactical shell is still a mini and retains it's mini pedigree, there is a reason I run a tacticool mini and not an AR.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Since semi-autos are cost prohibitive these days, I've decided to take a longer look at my Mini 14 Series 184. To be honest, I really don't know much (read anything) about these. Rifle looks pretty much just like the pic below. There are no scope/sight mounts on it. I was originally considering an AR-15 and putting a scope and side mount or 45* iron sights on it along with a collapsible and/or folding stock.

As far as intended purposes for the gun, SHTF situations, fun at the range, possibly defense if I can't get to a pistol or shotgun first. I don't mind spending some cash to get the gun the way I want. I do really like the idea of having a scope AND short range sights, preferably with one on the side of the rifle, but will use see through mounts if I have to. A collapsible or folding stock is a must. I'm not a sharpshooter and am not really worried about a dime size groups at 100 yards, I'm guessing the gun is more accurate than me as is.

In any case I'm fishing for ideas and suggestions. Currently the best thing I have found is this: ATI Ruger Mini-14 Strikeforce - Buttstock & Forend Package: MSP Scope Mounts

Hi Sebastian;
My compliments on a superbly beautiful rifle. Here are my suggestions for improving it as part of your "mini 14 rifle system".

1. Keep the factory folder. Aside from being very much a collectible money gun, it is a very good folder - compact and yet serviceable. I had one and bitterly regret selling it. Don't make that mistake yourself!
2. If you want to really do an upgrade, get a set of Tech Sights for the gun. The "garand style" ones that fit the gun you have pictured are a vast improvement over the stock sights.
3. Invest in magazines, parts, and ammo. Order up as many factory Ruger 20 and 30 shot mags as you can. Get a spare firing pin, extractor, ejector, and a full set of springs. Get 2x recoil springs, they wear. Buy spares on any small parts (we used to call 'em "goshdarnits") that are easy to lose. And ammo, ammo, ammo. I'm going to the local Wally World and Academy daily now to pick up anywhere from 1-3 boxes of 5.56 total. Not much per day but it adds up.

If you must have an optics package, go with a long eye relief scope on a forearm mount (don't have the link handy). But bluntly you will lose some of the handling advantages when you go to an optic and that gun is good enough for what it is IMHO. Depending on the bbl twist you may want to go with M855 ball ammo, but if I wanted to improve the "system" I would pretty much leave the gun alone (with the exception of the sights) and work on the accessories package.

Speaking of which, do you have a good low profile gun case? You know, something that looks like an oversized briefcase, musical instrument case, etc? That alone would make the system more serviceable IMHO.

BTW, in case you're thinking "okay this is just an old guy who doesn't appreciate the advantage of modern tactical style rifles", here is a pic of one of my ranch rifles and an AR15 carbine I built a while back. Functionally there is zero difference between 'em, but the mini doesn't scare the sheeple as badly. I primarily use an optic because my aging eyes don't work so well anymore, but I do appreciate the faster handling characteristics of the iron sighted carbine, like you have. You've got a classic!!

All the best,
Grumpy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.