Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know the ID of the flash suppressor & the thread size on an M-14/M1A. I have a project in mind & want to see if it's possible.

Thanks
Bushwack

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey bush -
The threading for the flash suppresspr on an M1A is on the barrel, and is set back 1/2 inch or so. The suppressor slides on and is reatined by a nut that kinda threads between the flash supressor and the barrel. The barrel also hase gooves cut into it parrallel to the bore that corresponds with ridges inside the supressor. (Keeps it from rotating) You'd have to see it to understand.
What are you trying to do? The supressor on the M1A is specialized to only work with a barrel with the grooves and threads noted above. I acutally e-mailed Springfield to see if their custom shop could cut my barrel down and re-mount the supresor - they said no way, I'd have to buy a new short barrel.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks djskit---What I wanted to know was the diameter of the hole in the flash suppressor. I carried an M-14 in VietNam & had the suppressor apart manytimes. The thing is I didn't have the chance to measure the ID of the flash suppressor. What I'm thinking of is putting a real M-14 suppressor on a Mini-14. This would be just for looks as I know the Suppressor is built for a 7.62mm bullet. Any help here? Maybe just the diameter of the barrel behind the suppressor?

Thanks
Bushwack

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well, I didn't pull my surpressor off, but the barrel just before the supressor has an OD of .579" and it looks like the supressor has some extra space (BTW to OD of a mini barrel just before front sght is .563, so much for that "barrel is too thin argument" - thicker barrel helps, but it must be something else - oops! wrong forum!)

I have another idea for you - the infamous "look alike" supressor for a mini-14. It is very similar in look to the M1A. But...I just looked and it used to be listed in Brownells but my new catalog don't list it!:(
I'll keep searching and let you know.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the lookalike from Choate, that's why I was interested in trying to put on the real thing. If you'll look at your barrel you'll see it's gets bigger as it moves back towords the receiver. Thanks I've got enough to proceed now. I'll write this up in the other forum when it's finished.

Thanks
Bushwack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts