Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eyes arent getting any younger so I am considering putting a scope on my Mini 14. Could some of you guys give me some advice on mounting one? What rings and bases are the most secure and simple way to go? Also what scope, fixed or variable?

· Registered
8,460 Posts
My eyes arent getting any younger so I am considering putting a scope on my Mini 14. Could some of you guys give me some advice on mounting one? What rings and bases are the most secure and simple way to go? Also what scope, fixed or variable?
Hi confederate;

What series mini do you have? Ranch rifle? "True" mini 14?

Here's the thing - the original Mini 14 used a side mount for the scope. I've never used one, but B-Square is the name to look for, is what I've always read.

If you have a "ranch rifle" then it will have an integral set of scope mounts already. Just get a set of the Ruger rings and you're GTG.

As far as the glass is concerned, what kind of shooting are you doing? <100 yds, I'd go red dot, <300 yds I would go with either a 1-4x variable or a 2-7x variable. Longer ranges or greater precision I'd go 3-9x variable. The quality of the glass is in some ways more important than the power - good glass will be clearer even if the magnification is not as high.

So I like Nikon 3-9x40 on my mini that's set up as an M21 trainer - lots of prone fire at medium ranges going for precision. OTOH, I use a fixed 4x shotgun scope on my general purpose mini, and have considered an upgrade to a Millett DMS, just like I have on my AR. Its a heavier scope than the 4x fixed, but the illuminated dot reticle is very fast, so it can sub as a red dot when I set it to 1x.

Just some thoughts.
Good luck on your mini 14!
Grumpy

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a mini tactical I bought last year with the standard synthetic stock. Rings came with it also. I have just read on here about so many different set ups I didn't know the pros and cons of them all. I have a few scopes that aren't on deer rifles. One is a 3x9 bushnell. If I use the ruger rings is that a pretty solid setup ? I'm not about bench shooting with the mini. It's my shtf rifle.

· Registered
7 Posts
Only one way to find out!!

I think the Ruger rings work great! They're sturdy rings, and made to fit the rifle, so if you have no issues with scope height or eye relief, why spend your money on anything else? Just make sure you get everything on to stay, Loctite can be helpful, and recoil buffers can be helpful in not shaking things loose. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 BDC scope on my Mini-14, and one other rifle as well, and I think those are fantastic scopes for the money. Nice and bright and clear. So I think a 3X9 is a good all around scope choice myself. My 2 cents, for what it's worth to ya, and good luck!! :D Oh yeah, I too have well experienced eyes, so I relate well to what you're dealing with!

Scotty

· Registered
34 Posts
If it will be your SHTF rifle I would go with the red dot for sure.For CQB with moving targets you won't have time to put cross hairs on a target with a limited field of view.A Burris Fastfire would be great.I have an Adco E-dot 30mm on mine,planning to upgrade soon.

· Registered
663 Posts
+1

If for SHTF I wouldn't rely on batteries working all the time. A 1-4x or similar would be great.

If you have a 3-9 laying around why not throw it on there and see if you like it or not?

· Registered
101 Posts
I've been doing a lot of research and trying out different close quarters sights and scopes.

Thought about putting an Ultimak or Amega scout rail on it, but don't like messing with the gas block assembly. Also, I've heard from a few friends that have the Ultimak that you may lose zero after disassembling it for maintenance.

For SHTF/HD, I decided to go with an Aimpoint 9000sc red dot mounted with Warne Maxima quick detach rings. Everyone seems to swear by these rings and they're supposedly great at holding zero no matter how many times you take em off and on. The Aimpoints are built like tanks and will hold up to any abuse, which makes it the perfect companion for a rugged Mini.

I'm also going to get a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 scope. It's a great little short to medium range scope with a lot of great features and quality for the buck. I'm also putting it on Warne QD rings so I can swap out with the Aimpoint as needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.