Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 184 Mini 14 from a guy who said it jammed. Well, after a 4 hour cleaning session it no longer jams. The only problem now is that after a couple of rounds it has FTF issues. It extracts wonderfully but the feeding is a hit and miss at best. I was using a factory 5 round mag at the time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds to me like it still jams!

Try a different factory mag. If that doesn't work, you will have learned a good lesson. If a guy tells you that a gun jams, don't buy it!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Frank, what ammo are you using?

Get Ruger made 10 or 20 round mags and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Garloch and Subscriber for the feedback. I was using Remington 55 GR. I will try a couple different magazines and see if that works!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is the fail to feed due to the bolt missing the cartridge or is the cartridge jamming up against the back of the chamber? You may want to try spraying the mag with a little Remoil or take it apart and clean the mag. Don't get too much lube in the mag, you don't want any getting on the cartridges. The follower in the mag may be getting hung up or the cartridge may be getting hung up (you may want to tap the loaded mag on the back to move all the cartridges to the rear. If all else fails you may want to open the lips up just a hair. Try 20 rd factory mags, they work the best. Most Mini 14 issues are due to bad mags.

·
Registered
489 Posts
was using Remington 55 GR. I will try a couple different magazines and see if that works!
That ammo should work fine.

Do you know if there are any rubber buffers installed between the recoil spring and the receiver? If so, this could cause short stroking of the action that could interfere with cartridge pickup from the mag.

As you have not given any detail about how your Mini fails to feed one has to guess at all the possibiities: How far from closed is the bolt when your Mini jams?

If the action has too much friction so that the bolt does not have enough force to close, then a new recoil spring may help - don't buy "extra power" recoil springs at that can lead to short stroking or close the action so quickly that the mag spring cannot keep up.

Get hold of an owner's manual for your vintage Mini and make sure that no parts are misassembled - on the current models it is possible to assemble the recoil spring guide rod upside down and bind up the action.

Make sure al mating surfaces of your Mini have some lube on them. Any lube is better than none. I like to mix a little grease and CLP - either or both of these are better than dry. Don't forget to oil the extractor pivot and spring plunger - have you checked to see that the extractor snaps all the way over the cartridge rim - do this with the bolt out of the rifle or with live ammo at the range.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
That old of a mini would be well broken in but it may have been a safe queen to. It sounds like the mag had problems. Did you try a different mag?
Knocking down rough edges by polishing with a dremel tool or emery cloth will help. I try to polish the front chamber area for smooth feeding, you should be able to feel with your finger on the mag or chamber face for sharp edges.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Knocking down rough edges by polishing with a dremel tool or emery cloth will help. I try to polish the front chamber area for smooth feeding, you should be able to feel with your finger on the mag or chamber face for sharp edges.
If you do this, avoid removing metal from the chamber mouth as it reduces case support.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
You just touch up to get the edges smooth around the face of the chamber. The sharp edges will gouge the cases, you will see marks on the marks on spent cases or rounds pull from the chamber after unloading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts