Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can usually figure stuff like this out pretty well but this confuses me.

R700 sps varmint 22-250 1/14 26". Brand new I've only had this out to 100yds so far because I'm still breaking it in and tinkering with it, got about 100rds through it. I've shot Hornady 50gr vmax (3800fps) and Winchester 40gr HP (4000fps). If I sight in on the Hornady the Winchester shoots 7 o'clock 3 inches. MOA or better on both. My brain tells me that there really should be no real difference at 100yds but if anything the lighter grain should hit higher since it's lighter and rated faster. I can kind of see at longer range maybe dropping faster due to less mass losing velocity quicker, but at 100? What is my brain missing here?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I can usually figure stuff like this out pretty well but this confuses me.

R700 sps varmint 22-250 1/14 26". Brand new I've only had this out to 100yds so far because I'm still breaking it in and tinkering with it, got about 100rds through it. I've shot Hornady 50gr vmax (3800fps) and Winchester 40gr HP (4000fps). If I sight in on the Hornady the Winchester shoots 7 o'clock 3 inches. MOA or better on both. My brain tells me that there really should be no real difference at 100yds but if anything the lighter grain should hit higher since it's lighter and rated faster. I can kind of see at longer range maybe dropping faster due to less mass losing velocity quicker, but at 100? What is my brain missing here?
100 yards is still close range. The lighter faster bullet will be lower because it leaves the barrel before it recoils up very far. The slower the bullet the more time the barrel has time to rise and so the exiting bullet leaves the bore at a higher angle. Your 22-250 isn't even warmed up yet at that point blank range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense, I thought it had to something like that since the groups are so consistent. I'm going to have it chow down on a couple hundred more then get it off the handgun range. Thanks grump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.