Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm kinda new to the sight but have been using it for research for quite awhile and need some help. Its time for new optics on my Mini 14 last spring after my dad talked me out of my Tikka .223 I picked up a new series Mini after a lot of research on here and knowing what I was getting into. It ended up wearing my Nikon Coyote 4.5-14X40 all last summer which is overscoping the mini in my opinion although I'm making progress in the accuracy dept with all the help from this forum.

Anyway I just found a great deal and picked up another Tikka .223 which is wearing the Nikon Coyote again so the Mini is in need of optics. I'm leaning towards a Redfield Revolution after some research and checking them out but can't decide which one.

2-7X33 or 3-9X40 I like the idea of the more compact 2-7X33 being more compact at about 1.5 inches shorter and a bit lighter but not sure if I'll miss having the bigger magnification and larger objective. This gun is mostly my truck gun on the farm and used for some coyote hunting swapping off with the Tikka.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I really like the Leatherwood CMR-30. It's a good scope. Not sure what kind of price ceiling you have but for about $350 you get a scope that performs like a really high dollar optic. A friend of mine has one .. and the lighted reticle, clear glass, light weight, and 1-4x30 are good features. If you want a lot of zooming capability it's not exactly your pick, but it IS calibrated for .223 I believe. Works great on AR's. I imagine it would be excellent on your rifle as well!

·
Registered
311 Posts
In W. PA I think 4X is as much scope as one needs unless shooting groundhogs. Compact low magnification optics complement the Mini by keeping it light and handy with wide field of view for fast target acquisition. I'd personally go with a 1-4X variable, but maybe you have need to shoot further than I do. Offhand the 4X is PLENTY good for me, as I'm more limited by my own instability than the ability to see the target.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My research for a quality, affordable scope led me to two: Redfield Revolution 2-7 X 33 and the Weaver V3 1 X 3. I chose the Redfied because I couldn't find a Weaver anywhere to handle. I'm very happy with the brightness and clarity. It's surprisinly good in low light. Just a couple of many good choices.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I do like the durability of the Leupold 3x9 and I have the Nikon 3x9 I like for clarity and eye relief.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone I think I'll go with either the 2-7X33 Redfield or the Weaver 6x38 fixed. I like the idea of the fixed scope for this application.

I don't think the 4x will be enough for me were pretty open and flat here in ND so getting out at 100-200 yrds is common as long as I can get this Mini14 to shoot consistently there. So far I've done the ASI adjustable gas block and tigger job, torqued the gas block, and swapped out the composite stock for a much tighter fitting wood stock. I plan to bed the composite stock yet(was a lot lighter then the wood), have the barrel cryoed, and add the accustrut yet at some point.

·
Registered
338 Posts
KC, I think they do make a 3-9x40 CMR. Might be worth a peek!
Nah... the CMR is only 1-4x. IF they made one is 3-9, I'd buy it tomorrow...
I also have the CMR on my Mini, and am really impressed with the quality. For hunting it would be fine for me out to 200...but target shooting at 100 is about the limit for me when I'm trying for groups. 4x just ain't a lot...

In the 3-9 category, I just bought a Vortex Viper and I'm blown away with the quality. Crystal clear optics edge to edge, tracks perfectly, and great customer service to boot.

All our other scopes are higher power so I don't have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check out SWFA for the Vortex Viper 2X7X32 close out that's on sale.
Damn....what a deal...BDC reticle, too...
I just might have to buy one and worry about buying a rifle for it later.

Anyone looking for a scope of that power- BUY IT. You will not be disappointed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts